I get to build a silencer!!!!

Peter123

C-Note
Why get a suppressor?

1. It's a safety device as it lowers the sounds that can be damaging to the ears of humans, dogs, horses, etc.

2. They make you a better neighbor. A lot of people get tired of hearing guns being shot, suppressors make them less annoying.

How quiet are they?

It depends upon the gun and the ammo. When running subsonic rounds through my GSG 1911 .22, you could be inside my house and not know I was shooting it 2 feet outside my back door. You could be in the yard next door and assume I set a beer down on the counter.

When suppressing other guns, you may still need hearing protection.

Brutal comparison. I understand the fun of aspect of shooting and owning guns, but the silencer aspect seems crazy and pointless for the general public

Its not , the hearing protection aspect alone makes shooting much more enjoyable. I can finally go hunting without every shot giving away my position. I think everyone should be allowed to own a supressor without having to deal with all the red tape associated with getting one. Owning one doesnt turn you into an assassin for hire.as for me its made shooting much more fun, just like how much more fun it was to ride my ski after I threw a b pipe on it.

bird

walking on water
Site Supporter
I built suppressors for our Potato Guns in High school, they worked amazingly well at turning a huge boom in too a deep "SWOOSHTHUMP". They made it fun to shoot them in town and nobody batted an eye.

Its not , the hearing protection aspect alone makes shooting much more enjoyable. I can finally go hunting without every shot giving away my position. I think everyone should be allowed to own a supressor without having to deal with all the red tape associated with getting one. Owning one doesnt turn you into an assassin for hire.as for me its made shooting much more fun, just like how much more fun it was to ride my ski after I threw a b pipe on it.

How much hunting do you guys do? I've seen deer respond to the smallest sound (ting/cough), yet not lift it's head to jets landing a few hundred feet above or dual exhausts driving by. The bang of a gun usually doesn't make them run, it makes them stop, look around, and wait. If a bow and arrow can scare a deer or other animals off, what makes you think your silencer logic works for being "quiet"????

You're talking about silencing a .22? why? .22s don't make much noise(even pistols). Just shoot CB primers in town, they're about as loud a hand clap.

If you're silencing high powered super sonic guns, that's also mostly pointless. Distance is your friend, they don't hear it coming. The military uses subsonic sniper rifles for a reason.

@bird im hunti g squirrel and other varmints mostly. My 22 is loud but in a closed action like my hunting rifle. The supressor makes the sound so quiet that it doesnt give away my position. Shooting cbs arent the best solution as I still need power for killing what I shoot at. Supressor is best thing I have bought of all my toys in the last year. I can shoot anytime day or night and not bother my neighbors or have to hear my wife bitch. Doesnt get much better than that.

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
I would have loved a silencer when we were sniping gophers. Those little bastards would disappear after the first shot and stay hidden for hours. Set back long range with a silencer and you could plink for hours without them catching on.

swapmeet

Brotastic
To whoever started this thread..... I'm confused or you're confused. Probably me.

You're saying that you only have to pay $200 to manufacture a suppressor? I thought there was more to it in order to be a mfg...

I'd like to get a 30cal rifle can... because reasons. But man you can't have much more fun than a .22 and a suppressor.

If one were so inclined, they could fire a suppressed .22 in their back yard in the middle of a residential area and nobody would notice, other than the sound of the round hitting whatever you shoot at (I've heard bags of dirt work well...) I wouldn't do it because its illegal. But that's how quiet it is.

King Kang

Never enough tray time...
I shot a full auto MP5 a few years ago. Frankly, it wasn't especially quiet, but the added weight of the suppressor helped to reduce some of the muzzle climb. I've been told that suppressors "wear out" over time and lose efficacy due to build-up that is impossible to clean up after use. Since the gun I shot was a rental, it was probably past its prime. Good luck, and happy building!

To whoever started this thread..... I'm confused or you're confused. Probably me.

You're saying that you only have to pay $200 to manufacture a suppressor? I thought there was more to it in order to be a mfg...

I'd like to get a 30cal rifle can... because reasons. But man you can't have much more fun than a .22 and a suppressor.

If one were so inclined, they could fire a suppressed .22 in their back yard in the middle of a residential area and nobody would notice, other than the sound of the round hitting whatever you shoot at (I've heard bags of dirt work well...) I wouldn't do it because its illegal. But that's how quiet it is.

To make one for your own use and not to sell its a one time 200 dollar tax stamp. To manufacture nfa weapons (silincer is considered a weapon to atf) its a WHOLE lot more.

I shot a full auto MP5 a few years ago. Frankly, it wasn't especially quiet, but the added weight of the suppressor helped to reduce some of the muzzle climb. I've been told that suppressors "wear out" over time and lose efficacy due to build-up that is impossible to clean up after use. Since the gun I shot was a rental, it was probably past its prime. Good luck, and happy building!
I have a friend with a full auto mac 11 thats supressed and it does good to quieten the round but its an open bolt gun so its still kinda loud. Most supressors that arent able to break down can be cleaned with an ultrasonic cleaner.

I have a friend with a full auto mac 11 thats supressed and it does good to quieten the round but its an open bolt gun so its still kinda loud. Most supressors that arent able to break down can be cleaned with an ultrasonic cleaner.
Also depending on bullet speed you may here a supersonic crack of the sound barrier. You can suppress that but you can shoot slower bullets. I cast my own 230 lead 300 blackout subsonics and the lead hearing the target is louder then the gun report.

Last edited:
@Sasquachcrap
what did it take to get your form1? Did you have to submit a plan showing how you are planni g to build it ? I wanted to do this but I was told that I couldnt. I may look into it again as I will keep tabs on your progress.I asked about building my own supressor in the handgun forum a couple months ago and this is what i was told from mxmark4 said: ↑

Thats the beauty of the trust. I didnt do one but eventually I will . Has anyone here ever constructed their own legal supressor? Andnfiled a form 1? @wanderer1 ?

if you do that you will get a bill from the ATF for 2500 bucks for a SOT license

Last edited:

Peter123

C-Note

Some cans are serviceable, others are not. The Spectre II I have is easy to open and remove the baffles for cleaning. Additionally, with a serviceable can, you can order new baffles without requiring a new stamp.

Here is a video of how to clean a Spectre II.

I thought I was misinformed, the above response was from another member here. Once your form 1 is approved,theres no additional tax stamp needed correct? That was the only other question I had that wasnt answered in that thread you linked. Also what caliber are you building your supressor for?

Top Bottom