Super Jet I give up... Solas pump help PLEASE

ScottS

X
Site Supporter
I think it must be a simple problem such as the shaft not going all the way into the midshaft... you can extend the 20mm a bit or decrease it... give it a few hammers and should slide in..no way the pump is machined wrong... IMO... but who knows..

The pump is machined different than a stock one. The distance from where the front bearing seats and the face of the Solas pump (if I remember correctly) is about 5mm less, this moves the shaft forward. I had the this issue with my Solas, but I was lucky , I had a fairly large gap at my couplers. Without removing the mid shaft housing, I was able to slide a proper diameter pipe through the pump cavity and tap the mid shaft foward enough to get the extra room.

PS, don't use a pump shaft to drive the mid shaft forward, because it will get stuck.

RMBC Freeride

Vintage
Site Supporter
I never got any more measurements, but what ScottS describes is what I suspected. Perhaps a Cold Fusion midshaft spacer would help solve our problem, providing of course that there is enough room between the couplers.

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
I never got any more measurements, but what ScottS describes is what I suspected. Perhaps a Cold Fusion midshaft spacer would help solve our problem, providing of course that there is enough room between the couplers.

You didnt put your setback mag shaft in your solas pump?

RMBC Freeride

Vintage
Site Supporter
You didnt put your setback mag shaft in your solas pump?

No, definitely not, that shaft is still in the bubblewrap bag.... This shaft was pulled from a stock pump and put into the solas vane section.

I'm going to put the 140 setback Mag together with your shaft and see how it lines up later today. It might prove that the Solas vane is the issue.

I have the solas vein section and I test fit it in my RN to make sure and I had no issues, in fact it fit just fine. I am trying to figure out why yours would be any different. let me know if you need some measurements

SXR-FOREVER

Finally Flippin
my guess is that stock hulls have a tolerance that allows for that much of a difference...maybe when some aftermarket hulls are made when the bulk head/pump distance was set they may have over looked that tolerance? By that I mean they set the midshaft all the way back as far as it can go on the driveshaft when doing the initial mock up of the hull. Obviously I'm just speculating of course but I can see how it could be easily over looked.

motoman96

Banned
I had this same issue with my skat mag on my bob. Stock hulls are setup to give you some play, where AM hulls try to get as much meat on the splines as possible. I wanted to take a hammer to my pump/hull. Side by side with a stock pump, it was obvious it was skats quality control sucks azz. Apparently so does Solas. Hope my new setback mag doesn't have the same issue. I went thru several midshafts, housings, til I finally gave up. Set it side by side with your stock stator section to compare it.

Last edited:
Is it a stock drive shaft? I was talking with Cold Fusion today and he thought there might be a problem with some aftermarket drive shafts where the splines weren't cut the exact same as a stock shaft and not allowing them to slide into the mid shaft as far. This was just a thought and he wasn't certain, but it might be something to look at.

DangerBoy

Runs with scissors
Site Supporter
The entire bearing carrier on the solas pump is moved forward about 6mm, making the driveshaft seem longer, Why this is the case I have no Idea

We havnt had any issues installing them on several aftermarket hulls, but It could be a potential issue for some, unfortunately Im out of drive shafts at the moment and cant see if its going to be possible to put a 5-6 mm spacer in front of the bearing to put the shaft in the correct position for those having issues

Db

RMBC Freeride

Vintage
Site Supporter
Well it looks like my solution is going to be a game of millimeters... I was able to add a .050" (1.27mm) shim in front of the pump bearing. Any more will require machining the cone face and posiibly causing the sealing surface to slide in too far and interference problems with the impeller. As it is I might have to grind or machine the cone face down just a little to get it on flush.

Next, I have pushed out my intermediate shaft to about 16mm (gaining approx. 3mm) and replaced the thick washer behind the coupler with a thin shim.
The above changes allowed me to push it far enough back to get the rubber seal lip on the midshaft housing to finally touch the bulkhead, but I have no play at that point... so...

Finally I will need to call Carl again and get a midshaft spacer coming (another 3mm). (I just got a steering system in this week... damn, wish I would have known I needed the spacer)

Altogether I will have gained about 7mm +/-. If my motor is then pushed too far forward I will oblong the motor mount holes (couch mounts) a bit to line it up.... fingers crossed... I won't have much play so hopefully I never tap the tail and slam the engine back against the couplers :dead1:. But I will have excellent spline engagement!!! :party:

#ZERO

Beach Bum
The entire bearing carrier on the solas pump is moved forward about 6mm, making the driveshaft seem longer, Why this is the case I have no Idea
Db
You could use the thicker 20.6mm mag pump double row front bearing number 5205 if that's the case instead of the regular single row bearing number 6205 which is only 15mm wide. Just hope you guys don't have your impellers cut back too far or you will need a spacer behind the prop too.

#ZERO

Beach Bum
The oem bearings have a 52mm outer diameter with a 25mm inner diameter that are 15mm wide part number 6205 and if the driveshaft is too long you can compensate by installing a thicker front bearing with the same inner & outer dimensions.

6205 = 15mm wide
5005 = 16mm wide
2205 = 18mm wide
5205 = 20.6mm wide

#ZERO

Beach Bum
The only issue I saw with the bigger bearing was that the shoulder on the driveshaft which the front seal sits on might be too far back for it to properly seal..
That's true and don't forget the impeller will sit further back closer to the stator vanes and the rubber/metal sealing washer that sits under the prop might make contact the front seal unless it's installed backwards or removed.

Top Bottom