Super Jet I give up... Solas pump help PLEASE

motoman96

Banned
I looked into that also, costs a fortune cuz it's heat treated already. Unless your talkin about cutting the shaft. I looked into having the splines cut further down the shaft so it would slide in further.

RMBC Freeride

Vintage
Site Supporter
Really? ^^^^ First off - take that kawi vs. yamaha dead-horse-beating rhetoric back to PWChackedToday. I'm trying to find a solution here for myself and others who have run into this issue with AFTERMARKET COMPONENTS. It has NOTHING to do with Yamaha 2-piece drive system. If you had an aftermarket pump that had the pump shaft/bearings set further forward than stock AND you had an aftermarket kawi hull with the bulkhead position setup a little further back - then your one-piece driveshaft would be bottoming out in the impeller and you'd be in the same situation that we are. :rolleyes:

Now back to some useful discussion:
Not happy with the very tight tolerance I had (in case the engine gets shoved backwards), I have now replaced the 1.27 mm shim with one that is 2mm. This looks like the max amount that is feasible for moving the shaft back in the pump. The seal lips are getting close to the edge now. And I will definitely have to grind down the flat surface on the tail cone as it interferes at this depth - however a 14mm wide bearing on the back side might fix that... but I don't have one (if even available). And of course the impeller will have to be shimmed forward a good bit as well - but I have not installed it yet.

EDIT: Googling, I found a Suzuki motorcycle OEM bearing that is 14mm wide - looking into that as opposed to grinding my tail cone.

Last edited:

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
I had this same issue when I first installed my setback mag into my Matrix hull. There was a good 1/4" gap between the midshaft housing and bulkhead when the shaft bottomed out. I was told that Skat makes their shafts slightly longer to ensure full spline engagement. I just took the measurement and adjusted the midshaft appropriately within the housing. Since I hadn't installed the motor yet, it wasn't a big deal and I completed the rest of the install based on that starting point.

I later installed the Cold fusion spacer, readjusted the midshaft to retain full spline engagement and shifted the motor back slightly to maintain proper clearances.

I did find wear on my bulkhead from the midshaft so I do reccomend using the spacer on the Matrix hull. If it helps make up some of the difference too then that's just bonus.

I just sent an old Waveventure driveshaft to Jetmaniac to be cut down and made into a backup shaft for my Mag setback pump so if you do decide to adjust the shaft, he would be my first choice.

Last edited:

RMBC Freeride

Vintage
Site Supporter
The 3mm spacer was originally intended for aftermarket hulls that have a flat bulkhead with no recess for the bearing carrier portion to move. Not sure if that answers your question?

Here is my pump and cone after the 2mm spacer was assembled inside and the cone was ground down:

uploadfromtaptalk1333946915982.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1333946869375.jpg

Sent from my Superfreaky Droid 2 Global using Tapatalk... braaaaap!

RMBC Freeride

Vintage
Site Supporter
Here was my solution ... finally.
I used a .625" (16mm) spacer made from a OEM housing mount that came off a waveraider. Thanks to my buddy Greg for getting it machined for me.
Next, big thanks to TOBY for supplying an FX-1 midshaft which made it all fit together perfectly.
I now have full spline engagement with about .25" of play. And i can use any pump like normal.

uploadfromtaptalk1335156688315.jpg

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
Way to go Neil, my biggest issue right now is time to work on it..., good thing I have a running ski when the sun is shining..

RMBC Freeride

Vintage
Site Supporter
Way to go Neil, my biggest issue right now is time to work on it..., good thing I have a running ski when the sun is shining..

That has been (and continues to be) my biggest problem as well. Ive had this thing since october! And i dont currently have a running ski!!! :mad:

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
That has been (and continues to be) my biggest problem as well. Ive had this thing since october! And i dont currently have a running ski!!! :mad:

I know the feeling, I'll be lucky to have mine done for the madness in September...

RMBC Freeride

Vintage
Site Supporter

Me three. And yet i have the same issue... my mag shaft is lengthened and caused the same problem as the solas.

I made my own 12 vane (at home) and it fits. How did Solas screw up so bad??

They set the bearings about .25" too far forward, effectively moving the whole shaft forward. Not a problem in a stock SJ hull, but some of us with aftermarket hulls have had troubles.

Top Bottom