FX-1 I just can't get in to it..!

How long did it take you guys to get the hang of riding your FX1s. I just can't get into it... As a result, I am not enjoying what I have spent time and money on...

Do you guys have any tips that may help me master my FX1? Would Tubbies help?

Just sell it.. I will give you $500 for it... Shipped of course they are useless...

Just kidding... I think they are great I don't know how much standup experience you have but if you came from a SJ it should be just a few rides.

If this is your first ski then it will take some time just like it would if you gotten a SJ. Don't give up I believe that it is a great ski. But as with everything it takes time.

What problems are you having? What have you ridden before?

I think it all depends on what you're accustomed to. The FX feels stable to me and a SJ feels like a sitdown with a handlepole, but I cut my teeth riding Kawi 440/550 for 15 years before I got an FX-1.

Tubbies are nice but I don't feel they will make a night/day difference. I think they more let you push the FX a little further in the surf.

My experience is limited... I had a 650sx for about 6 months but only rode it three times. I did have a 550 for some time but that was years and years ago when I was a lot younger.

The problems:

I can get up, stand up, but as soon as I turn I fall off... Well... Most of the time...
There are times when doing figure of eights it sort of comes together but then I will come out of a turn, hit my wake, the nose will go up then a little further, then I come off as it tends not to have the power to pull he out of it. Since matching and smoothing out the shoulder behind the prop, it has been much better and I am running a Skat 19/24 that has been tweaked a little which also helps. I have a very strong engine also but I am stuck with the basics on this ski. I must say one thing though... I can ride an sj now after spending some time on the FX...

Forgot to mention... I have been out on it about seven times now on flat water. I was invited to an open day at a club on the coast. I couldn't even get up on my ski in the waves! It was ALL over the place!

Don't really understand Propping to be honest... Plus that was the only available upgrade here in the UK. What will I gain from a 12/17?

any of the jet ski shops here in the states pretty much sell them. you will need to tell them what you have far as your motor goes so they can determine a good pitch for you. jetworks, legdrag, blowsion, waterdawg, team scream etc etc.

I know exactly how you feel. All my buddies ride sj's and when I jump on theirs its a lot easier. Some days I'm tempted to give up and sell mine for an sj, but I'll never actually follow through with it. Too much time and money invested in it.

I think we just need more practice. Seeing the guys from jersey ride their fx1's is impressive.

Try going from an fx1 to an sxr or octane. Feels like you can't fall.

I know exactly how you feel. All my buddies ride sj's and when I jump on theirs its a lot easier. Some days I'm tempted to give up and sell mine for an sj, but I'll never actually follow through with it. Too much time and money invested in it.

I think we just need more practice. Seeing the guys from jersey ride their fx1's is impressive.

Try going from an fx1 to an sxr or octane. Feels like you can't fall.

Had a blast on a rapid 08 Kwak X2 last week and I thought it was just too easy!
I just don't know where I am going wrong with my FX... Can I ask, what set up are you running? Prop and such like would be good to know also...

any of the jet ski shops here in the states pretty much sell them. you will need to tell them what you have far as your motor goes so they can determine a good pitch for you. jetworks, legdrag, blowsion, waterdawg, team scream etc etc.

I will give them a shout... Cheers for that...

I'm running a kawaski 650 pump with a 13/22.

If you stick with the stock pump there aren't too many options for impellers. I believe the stock is a 21/27. Skat only offers 19/24 and 20/25 according to the Impros website.

If you feel like the motor is reving up but you are not going, you are getting cavitation. Do you have a scoop intake grate?

I've ridden them before and after the convo. I rode a friends that had a prop, msd, and b-pipe. When I got mine it had a stock 650 for power, only rode it once and that was enough.

I wanted to build up an engine for it and didn't even bother trying it with the stock pump. Pretty certain it would have just sat and spun.

I say have one of each if possible. I started on a js440 bone stock 2 seasons ago, then I put the 750 in it much better. Well my wife took away my 440 after she got bored with our couch kawi 1100zxi so we sold that and I bought a 90 sj 701. And if that wasnt enough I hunted up a 94 fx1 at the end of last season that im doing the kawi pump mod to as we speak. If you can get a sn sj reasonable I would suggest that and keep the fx1. I only ride on lakes but depending on how I wanna ride I like having both. Everyone that rides the sj thats starting out likes it better cause its more stable, but overall I do prefer the skinny hulls cause I can throw them around better. I do fall more and they are a handful, but I like how I can launch them higher. The sj is awesome in the chop and chasing boat wakes and ppl on the lake. If I were near the surf i would def start on the sj for stability issues and lack of experience.

Hogggman

Stock Sucks
I would just say ride it. Dont worry about what mods you need or dont need. If you can ride a stand up you should be able to ride any stand up. Get the hang of the fx1 and then you can pretty much any stand up. I see guys who can ride an sj pretty good then jump on my fx1 and look like they have never ridden before. If they were easy to ride everyone would ride one. Many many people myself included learned to ride on 440s and 550s. And there were many skis sold before the sj was even invented. So you cant ride in waves you will get there eventually the first time you rode a bicycle did you jump on the local bmx track. Give it some time and practice and youll love it.

tbaer

USMC
i started on a 650sx and i couldn't even stay on the thing it was unstable and low powered! I just stuck with it and learned to ride then i bought an sj and it still didn't have enough power. i could ride without falling, but i just crave more power. so no matter what you get or what you do there is always something else that you can do to make more power.

Just stick with it and take it slow learn how to turn and how your weight and foot position/body lanuage makes the ski do different things.

Get a prop too. that is way to high!

Top Bottom