If you can solve this one you win the prize - SOLVED

D-Roc

I forgot!
what is the water spraying out the head? is it out that little nipple? cylinder cracked? if your burning water, which it sounds like, that would explain the misfire/ not so clean revving motor. I suspect a water leak somewhere. why did you deck the cylinder? suspect a sleeve dropped? what does your pisser look like when you are revving it like that on the trailer? good flow or is it spitting? sounds like you checked all this but in that first video it sure looks in water spraying out the head gasket or head bolt.

Sent from my iSpud using Tapatalk

J..

Water on the head is just with the stock head. It's the little water take off for stock exhaust I didnt seal too well. The ADA heads back on it now. I had the cylinders decked becasue I originally thought water was leaking on the stock head gasket due to an overheat ages ago. They cleaned up 1.5 thou.

Yea, it has the miss with the hod off on and off in and out of the water.

The ign coil and leads were a new unit from Jetmaniac, I recon it's good in that department.

Over heat sensor is disconnected and leads are sitting nicely inside e box with insulation.

New excitor coil is Yamaha, new pulse is aftermarket but it starts first time and excluding the miss timing seems to be fine. It's never backfired.

Tank valve tests fine by mouth. Could possibly be fuel supply related but I really dont tend to think so.

Symptoms suggest it's ign related. I'm booking in with a mechanic whos going to hook it up to an oscilloscope. I need to rule out ign once and for all. Spark looks visually nice and theres nothing else I can check or change but I cant be certain that spark is ok.

Dmac80sc

Site Supporter
Aftermarket pulse.....hmm that would make me a bit nervous. Something about aftermarket electrical stuff that can be sketchy.

J..

I've owned it from new. It was perfect till a few months ago.

All started when I took the exhaust off and had it powdercoated and at the same time fit the ADA head...

Have you checked and ohmed out both the ground from the stator, and the ground wire from the starter to battery? Wiggle it while you ohm it out.

Run a second ground, from the engine to the back of the ebox, or to the negative post inside the ebox.

J..

New ADA head and domes and gaskets. Swapping back to stock head didnt make any change.

Checked continuity between all mentioned spots, its got one of OCD's cable kits in it now too.

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Troubleshooting 101, start with what changed immediately before the issue. Since you have ruled out the head already, that just leaves the exhaust.

I heard a story a long time ago about an issue with a headpipe where the top screw was blocked in such a way that it caused an odd spray pattern that was allowing water to get back up into the cylinder. Any chance you didn't get your screws set correctly after you had the powder coating work done?

^^^^^ agreed, take a look at the head pipe and pipe in general and anything that could of happened @ the time of install...........
I've owned it from new. It was perfect till a few months ago.

All started when I took the exhaust off and had it powdercoated and at the same time fit the ADA head...

This type of info is best disclosed early in the conversation, very important possible clues here

J..

You could be onto something guys.

I snapped the bottom and middle screws as they were corroded in. The top is ok but the thread is average. I have a Jetmaniac oversize screw set ready to install, think this will be the next thing to do and report back.

Fingers crossed!

motozachl

uPsiDeDoWn
Exhaust leak. Done and done. Have had the exact same issue with a ski last summer and was nothing to do with the electrics.

D-Roc

I forgot!
He has the hood off so rule out exhaust gasses choking the motor. I think OCD is onto something. It sounds like burning water and if it's not the head, it could be the manifold or head pipe. Look for cracks or bad gaskets. I run my top screw closed and the middle closed, just crack the bottom enough to cool the coupler.

D-Roc

I forgot!
total motor geek thread! i love reading about the problems fellow riders stumble upon. you ride salt water correct?

Top Bottom