Freestyle I'm scratching my head at this one...........

@tntsuperjet, whats the key/keys to keep these high performance engines alive while running on pumpgas?

Throw on the biggest cc head domes possible?
Size 9 sparkplug?
Carb tune to perfect piston wash?

tntsuperjet

Tntperformance-engineering.com
My best advice to keep these big motors alive is to keep close eye on everything.
1- pump gas means 9 heat range plug.
2- dial boat in with some race gas mixed in with your pump gas and once you have the boat singing a sweet tune then pull away your race gas and make sure you keep it rich enough when you do.
3- pull head off and have close inspection of the Pistons and domes. Make sure motor is happy.
4- do not change pump reduction nozzle or tail cone without first adding little safety fuel to high speed circuit.
Keep in mind, if you put a smaller reduction nozzle on you increase the load on the motor and that will require more fuel.
Even the slightest increase in load can take your fine tuned machine and put it over the edge and kill it. Example 6/13 prop uses 125 main jet, same exact motor boat install 8/14 and now it uses a 135 main jet.
This is why I always recommend some race gas.
You really can use a very small amount and gain huge safety on deto.
Remember pump gas is unleaded.
So if you mix 1/2 gallon of race to 4-1/2 pump you just added a tone of safety to your engine.
The lead in the race gas is very high compared to the old school leaded pump gas.
70's leaded gas had .7 grams per gallon max.
Most was .3
So adding a fuel with 5+ grams per gallon is huge amount of lead in comparison.
So the lead in race gas bonds with unleaded pump gas and you add considerable octane just from that.
Then the percentage of 110 to 91.
So that being said even a ratio rite full of race gas added to your pump gas will aid big results in anti detonation.
So by adding 16oz to 5 gallons increases your run cost by about .75 cents per 5 gallons
Why not do it?
Now keep in mind the only fuels you can add that small quantity and gain results is a leaded race fuel.
C12, Sunoco standard,c16, Sunoco supreme, there also a Klotz but I never used it. Not available easily locally for me.

Example, my car forced induction deto's bad on 91.
Ecu says knock numbers in 70% range. Add 1 gal Sunoco supreme to 15 gal pump deto goes to 8%
Add two bottles of octane booster and deto doesn't change at all.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

tntsuperjet

Tntperformance-engineering.com
I'm wondering about this also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never shim your power valves. The shims wear into the body and over sometimes a very short time the valve can wear the stop and become to close and destroy your engine. Power valves should be cut to clearance

My best advice to keep these big motors alive is to keep close eye on everything.
2- dial boat in with some race gas mixed in with your pump gas and once you have the boat singing a sweet tune then pull away your race gas and make sure you keep it rich enough when you do.
3- pull head off and have close inspection of the Pistons and domes. Make sure motor is happy.
4- do not change pump reduction nozzle or tail cone without first adding little safety fuel to high speed circuit.
Keep in mind, if you put a smaller reduction nozzle on you increase the load on the motor and that will require more fuel.
Even the slightest increase in load can take your fine tuned machine and put it over the edge and kill it. Example 6/13 prop uses 125 main jet, same exact motor boat install 8/14 and now it uses a 135 main jet.
So if you mix 1/2 gallon of race to 4-1/2 pump you just added a tone of safety to your engine.
The lead in the race gas is very high compared to the old school leaded pump gas.
Most was .3
So the lead in race gas bonds with unleaded pump gas and you add considerable octane just from that.
So that being said even a ratio rite full of race gas added to your pump gas will aid big results in anti detonation.
So by adding 16oz to 5 gallons increases your run cost by about .75 cents per 5 gallons
Why not do it?
Now keep in mind the only fuels you can add that small quantity and gain results is a leaded race fuel.
C12, Sunoco standard,c16, Sunoco supreme, there also a Klotz but I never used it. Not available easily locally for me.

Ecu says knock numbers in 70% range. Add 1 gal Sunoco supreme to 15 gal pump deto goes to 8%

Hope that helps.
Awesome info Tim!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rc617

I blow clouds, premix clouds
L
Most was .3
Why not do it?

Hope that helps.

So the octane booster is a waste? Looks like I'll be doing the race gas trick when you get my new beast back together.

Most was .3
Why not do it?

Hope that helps.

Thanks @tntsuperjet !

Sucks though that leaded fuel is illeagal to sell here in Sweden.. We cant get our hands on it..

But VP 109 is possible, how much of that to make a "safe" combo when mixing with pumpgas?

Top Bottom