Is the sport / market declining?

Edit: I’ve honestly considered putting my own cash up on R&D for an electric stand up. Can’t believe that doesn’t exist yet. I think it would sell. At the lake I’m on people don’t own stand ups because of the noise

I did a whole prospective analysis for an electric drivetrain back in college for our 1/2 scale formula race car. The power to weight ratio back then was good - with YASA and their axial flux motor leading the charge. YASA is now owned by Mercedes but the technology has only gotten better with other competitors in the field. I would love to brain storm with someone on the concept of either an electric retrofit or a full electric build. Back when I was doing my analysis A123 (one of the top battery energy densities that were commercially viable at the time) was still US based, but that would need to have a review as well.

Start a new thread on "Idea-izing" an electric build, let's try and keep the political BS and emotions out of it and put together a $20K budget prototype build idea - it's going to cost at least that much to make something we'd all consider fun for at least 30 minutes.

I have a Chinese electric pit bike that my wife loves and now the older boy has started riding. Great in the yard with no nose to bother the neighbors, virtually zero effort maintenance wise and super simple the wife and kids aren't very mechanical so they didnt really need to learn anything to start enjoying it.

I've been thinking something comparable for the water would be nice. Doesn't even need to be in the form of a stand up ski if could be more like a powered surf board just had to be easy enough that a 6 year old can do it and challenging enough to keep their attention as they learn.

To me that might be a place for electric to get a foothold. Legally I think you have to be like 12 or 14 to ride any "real' ski. So there's that aspect of it too.

I personally will not even entertain or be open to an electric jetski. I'll give up the sport before I cave to that nonsense. I wish more people could see how deceptive this technology is. Anything used for good can just as easily be used for evil as well. There's a big reason for the green deal etc being pushed and it has absolutely nothing to do with the environment. It's all about gaining control of the resources. The convenience of the electric will decieve the masses into giving up their gas powered cars for the fake global warming nonsense agenda being pushed.

I personally will not even entertain or be open to an electric jetski. I'll give up the sport before I cave to that nonsense. I wish more people could see how deceptive this technology is. Anything used for good can just as easily be used for evil as well. There's a big reason for the green deal etc being pushed and it has absolutely nothing to do with the environment. It's all about gaining control of the resources. The convenience of the electric will decieve the masses into giving up their gas powered cars for the fake global warming nonsense agenda being pushed.
I just want to rip up any body of water and not be told "no" because it's a 2 stroke and makes loud scary noises. I'm pretty far from being an environmental steward and EVs don't really do anything for me. Same reason I wanted an electric dirtbike like the Stark Varg - to be able to ride 'less than legal' trails silently.

HarryConnolly

Site Supporter
I did a whole prospective analysis for an electric drivetrain back in college for our 1/2 scale formula race car. The power to weight ratio back then was good - with YASA and their axial flux motor leading the charge. YASA is now owned by Mercedes but the technology has only gotten better with other competitors in the field. I would love to brain storm with someone on the concept of either an electric retrofit or a full electric build. Back when I was doing my analysis A123 (one of the top battery energy densities that were commercially viable at the time) was still US based, but that would need to have a review as well.

Start a new thread on "Idea-izing" an electric build, let's try and keep the political BS and emotions out of it and put together a $20K budget prototype build idea - it's going to cost at least that much to make something we'd all consider fun for at least 30 minutes.
We should set up a little think tank. I think corrosion issues can be solved with things like pressurized batteries or hulls

For everyone here

Look into companies like PCB stator and Factorial Energy

The advancements they’ve made could definitely benefit the ski industry

Also you could probably do well on PCB stators IPO

Keep an eye out

I think a real electric stand up is possible

I just want to rip up any body of water and not be told "no" because it's a 2 stroke and makes loud scary noises. I'm pretty far from being an environmental steward and EVs don't really do anything for me. Same reason I wanted an electric dirtbike like the Stark Varg - to be able to ride 'less than legal' trails silently.
If its too noisy then its your fault for making it so. A two stroke with a tuned pipe can make full power and be quieter than the pump. Electric vehicles are easy, they have been for over 20 years. Just find a battery that has enough energy to run a ski for more than a few minutes.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
I have been doing this since high school , they are called trials bikes. I have one just like the one in the first vid and am building one like the one in the second vid , I also have the street legal version in the third vid , stock you can barely hear them run.

Last edited:
If its too noisy then its your fault for making it so. A two stroke with a tuned pipe can make full power and be quieter than the pump. Electric vehicles are easy, they have been for over 20 years. Just find a battery that has enough energy to run a ski for more than a few minutes.
A stock pipe vs a simple B-pipe will increase the decibel output of the ski by a non-zero amount, especially if the exhaust outlet were to come above waterline... I haven't heard a ski with a B-pipe that I would call quiet unless it's parked on the beach. Throw in some porting and it's now a little raspy around the edges noise wise as well.

It's not just stand up jet skis that's seems like the market is soft. It's widespread to most discretionary spending. Motorcycles, ATVs, RV's, sit down jet skis, snowmobiles, etc. All have some pretty attractive prices now, and especially at the end of summer. As long as the cost of living stays high, there will be a lot less spent on toys.

My local ride group has significantly reduced the amount of acquiring we're doing. We've all amassed a large amount of projects and fun skis. Just gotta keep the spirit alive and get some group rides with your friends. Invite new people and help others get their projects rolling.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
It's not just stand up jet skis that's seems like the market is soft. It's widespread to most discretionary spending. Motorcycles, ATVs, RV's, sit down jet skis, snowmobiles, etc. All have some pretty attractive prices now, and especially at the end of summer. As long as the cost of living stays high, there will be a lot less spent on toys.

My local ride group has significantly reduced the amount of acquiring we're doing. We've all amassed a large amount of projects and fun skis. Just gotta keep the spirit alive and get some group rides with your friends. Invite new people and help others get their projects rolling.
The first things to go are toys , haircuts and manicures , not that I have ever wasted money on the last two lol.

Part of the reason for that first 300SX build was it was a cheap ski and it got a lot of people into the sport , the upside is they learned a lot of skills such as fabrication , turfing and fiber glassing along the way , it's probably best used as a stepping stone to an aftermarket hull down the line somewhere , yes I know a lot of people got them , then got halfway into the project it stalled and they never finished it , that happens in all motorsports and it's good because it separates the posers from the real riders.

I call it the little ski that could , against all odds and regardless of what everyone thought and said it has survived and flourished.

Last edited:
I can believe it when there is so much computer control in the newer vehicles. Apparently there has been an already signed into law digital killswitch implementation requiring all new vehicles from 2026 on to have their software ready for shutdown at any given time if the circumstances justify it. Whomever is the one making the calls on what's a justifiable reason to shut your vehicle down is anyone's guess but I'm sure it can be pretty easy to figure that out. Also the newer vehicle software updates have a clause in he EULA saying you agree to permit the vehicle to be receptive of geofencing and geotagging which means if your vehicle goes beyond a certain point let's say if you lived in dictatorship Canada and you weren't approved to do so, your vehicle will just shut down. While this isn't a thing here, with how our azzhole government leader has been destroying the country, I can see him doing that.

Top Bottom