jetski magazine

tom21

havin fun
Bk- I already sent a pm to him this morning. offered the cover and a full spread inside. and you are right he is one hell of a nice guy- super easy to talk to. not one bit of arrogance or anything like it.

You are all correct in your thinking...I think it is impossible for me to cover everything and paying someone to go shoot it is simply not an option. the writing and pics may not be 100% top shelf but from the amature stuff I see here its still pretty damn good. also thats what editors and photoshop is for right? big mags do it too.

you are right about coming here but since the site doesn't advertise or try to get out in the world how will anyone find it? just through word of mouth or google search. I want to put it out there for everyone to see and get the light to shine on our sport. I used to skateboard when it wasn't allowed anywhere and was just an annoyance, now its in the x games.

isn't anyone worried about no more 2strokes or them just being outright banned on the water? if our sport is not growing its dyeing. I'm not done yet I'm just getting started. what would we have if standups traded place with mx? I would imagine there would be more companies making more cool stuff and the likelihood of standups demise would be a lot less than what it currently is.

Look it boils down to are you in or out? If you are in and you got some help, great! thank you - let's have it. if you are out then kindly step out of the way, cause I am doing this and I have work to do.

Mike - thanks for the support.

Last edited:

wydopen

onthepipe
Bk already sent a pm to him this morning. offered the cover and a full spread inside. and you are right he is one hell of a nice guy- super easy to talk to. not one bit of arrogance or anything like it.

You are all correct in your thinking...I think it is impossible for me to cover everything and paying someone to go shoot it is simply not an option. the writing and pics may not be 100% top shelf but from the amature stuff I see here its still pretty damn good. also thats what editors and photoshop is for right? big mags do it too.

you are right about coming here but since the site doesn't advertise or try to get out in the world how will anyone find it? just through word of mouth or google search. I want to put it out there for everyone to see and get the light to shine on our sport. I used to skateboard when it wasn't allowed anywhere and was just an annoyance, now its in the x games.

isn't anyone worried about no more 2strokes or them just being outright banned on the water? if our sport is not growing its dyeing. I'm not done yet I'm just getting started. what would we have if standups traded place with mx? I would imagine there would be more companies making more cool stuff and the likelihood of standups demise would be a lot less than what it currently is.

Look it boils down to are you in or out? If you are in and you got some help, great! thank you - let's have it. if you are out then kindly step out of the way, cause I am doing this and I have work to do.

Mike - thanks for the support.

never said i didnt want to help!!..id love too!!...i was just making a suggestion ..what about starting with an online magazine?? costs would be WAY lower and the audience probably would be the same or better...i was also thinking of a free magazine like they do here with some surf publications..send a stack to every motorsport dealer around..that would be some great exposure.then you could tell the advertisers that you distributed x# of copies each month..id love to send you some cool pictures but they are the property of the photogs that shot them not the riders....and i think that may be the limiting factor because you wont have people with good camera equipment that are willing to give you free photos..and i think if the quality of the photos are poor that will discourage advertisers..i hope it works out it would be great!!

Last edited:

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
never said i didnt want to help!!..id love too!!...i was just making a suggestion ..what about starting with an online magazine?? costs would be WAY lower and the audience probably would be the same or better...i was also thinking of a free magazine like they do here with some surf publications..send a stack to every motorsport dealer around..that would be some great exposure.then you could tell the advertisers that you distributed x# of copies each month..id love to send you some cool pictures but they are the property of the photogs that shot them not the riders....and i think that may be the limiting factor because you wont have people with good camera equipment that are willing to give you free photos..and i think if the quality of the photos are poor that will discourage advertisers..i hope it works out it would be great!!

you've got it all backwards.

Nascency Chris

The Nascency Project
...the photographer that pays out of their own pocket to go along on the trip and shoot the photos and write the story...they dont do it for free!!!

some will...

the long and short of it is that you will get back what you put into it...and a strong desire ain't gonna cut it.

before anyone goes all "freak out" on me, i support this idea, think its great, and yeah, to start off with, there really isn't any money in it for anyone. I would throw tom some free content in a heartbeat for this endeavor to get it up and running, if we had some up to date stuff.

but here is my question, what is the your final goal with this magazine? do you see it being something that riders contribute to and not worry so much about advertising, or do you grow the advertising and therefore grow the magazine and its exposure?

in terms of paying people for stories, photos, etc the first option is the cool grassroots way to go...the second is just a way for you to cheat people out of their work so you can sell more advertising and subscriptions...if you don't pay your people...

and i think it does set the overall tone of a magazine if it is amateur-ish looking in terms of pics...harder to get and retain advertisers, subscribers, etc...

i think there are alot of questions still up in the air on this one but hopefully tom and his silent partner have them all figured out already...

tom21

havin fun
LIke I said my part is to get the content. the other half is being handled. free doesn't do anything but take up time. everything unfortunately is about money, spreading it around on here doesn't help a company sell . and that is the key to this whole deal is selling them some more buyers. that makes the money to print and distribute to get infront of new people , get more people buying stuff to generate more money to get in front of more people and on and on. more money also makes it easier to get better quality, and penetrate deeper into the market. it also attracts bigger advertizers with more money.

again I am not the marketing genius. I am just the guy with a sickness for sjs and sxrs.

here is what I am looking for. doesn't matter if you can write- if you have eyes and can tell me what you see at the pcola ride you can tell me what happened and I can write it or someone with more talent can.

are you looking to write for a mag or a newspaper and have no experience cause you are fresh out of school or aspiring to be a writer? this is a job you can do and now you have a job at a magazine and will have a peice of printed material with your name in it. makes it a whole lot easier to get that job.

same for photographers. by the way I have the local area here pretty well covered, oh and canada. I need everywhere else. who has eyes and can talk? please report what you see.

do you have info about a small unknown company with a cool gizmo for pwc- spill it.

get the idea?

Jumper

What! What!
Robbie Meyer used to write a fun column for Splash back in the day. I think it was called "Tales from the Tour". It was not just about the racing tour though, it was sort of just the fun "riding with the buddies and the crazy stuff we did" stories. Behind the scenes fun and interesting stuff. Something like that from one of the characters in the industry would be fun.

Good Luck!!!

ballen

X
LIke I said my part is to get the content. the other half is being handled. free doesn't do anything but take up time. everything unfortunately is about money, spreading it around on here doesn't help a company sell . and that is the key to this whole deal is selling them some more buyers. that makes the money to print and distribute to get infront of new people , get more people buying stuff to generate more money to get in front of more people and on and on. more money also makes it easier to get better quality, and penetrate deeper into the market. it also attracts bigger advertizers with more money.

again I am not the marketing genius. I am just the guy with a sickness for sjs and sxrs.

here is what I am looking for. doesn't matter if you can write- if you have eyes and can tell me what you see at the pcola ride you can tell me what happened and I can write it or someone with more talent can.

are you looking to write for a mag or a newspaper and have no experience cause you are fresh out of school or aspiring to be a writer? this is a job you can do and now you have a job at a magazine and will have a peice of printed material with your name in it. makes it a whole lot easier to get that job.

same for photographers. by the way I have the local area here pretty well covered, oh and canada. I need everywhere else. who has eyes and can talk? please report what you see.

do you have info about a small unknown company with a cool gizmo for pwc- spill it.

get the idea?

I think it's a great idea don't get me wrong... but your contradicting yourself by asking people to volunteer research, stories, photos... then say "free doesn't do anything but take up time". So are you planning on paying for photos, stories, etc... ?

I guess I'm just a little confused on where you want the direction of the magazine to be.

Last edited:

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
I think it's a great idea don't get me wrong... but your contradicting yourself by asking people to volunteer research, stories, photos... then say "free doesn't do anything but take up time"
volunteered content offers exposer, experience and potential future earnings. hell, some people would pay for that.

Endo

Non-tree hugger
I hep u rite it! Me grammer not so good but I like them there stand up see doo's!

Seriously, i like the idea and I think there is more than large enough pool of information (and entertainment) sitting right here on this site. I hope it works for you.... and when does the first addition come out???

tom21

havin fun
some will...

the long and short of it is that you will get back what you put into it...and a strong desire ain't gonna cut it.

before anyone goes all "freak out" on me, i support this idea, think its great, and yeah, to start off with, there really isn't any money in it for anyone. I would throw tom some free content in a heartbeat for this endeavor to get it up and running, if we had some up to date stuff.

but here is my question, what is the your final goal with this magazine? do you see it being something that riders contribute to and not worry so much about advertising, or do you grow the advertising and therefore grow the magazine and its exposure? this is the goal- you just say it so much better than I do.

in terms of paying people for stories, photos, etc the first option is the cool grassroots way to go...the second is just a way for you to cheat people out of their work so you can sell more advertising and subscriptions...if you don't pay your people...the way I understand it, if I can get the ball rolling it becomes easier to upgrade the quality and reward the initial effort. I have heard of people starting with out of pocket and not being strong on setting up the adds and it just doesn't work cause it doesn't ever go farther than the local area.

and i think it does set the overall tone of a magazine if it is amateur-ish looking in terms of pics...harder to get and retain advertisers, subscribers, etc...obviously the goal is to have it look like everything is at the professional level, I know there are guys here and elsewhere capable of doing it that are not pros. I just need to get a start, a foot in the door. I am not after free labor- more like a donation, one time. Or if it gives the writer/photographer a return on their donation in the form of more business wouldn't that be the same as them paying to advertise in the mag but use their work as payment? if they don't benefit and its not a help then stop by all means. I am trying to start with a reciprical deal being the prefered option, but will also be happy to accept a one time donation to get this off the ground. I have other ways to do this but I am starting here where the people in the know are.

i think there are alot of questions still up in the air on this one but hopefully tom and his silent partner have them all figured out already...

thanks for the help and insight on this, I never really considered it how you put it. the intention is to build a great magazine to cover our sport, that is done by having advertisers support. I want to offer some experience and exposure in trade for writing and pictures. I didn't see that as taking advantage of anyone. that was not what I was trying to do.

tom21

havin fun
Robbie Meyer used to write a fun column for Splash back in the day. I think it was called "Tales from the Tour". It was not just about the racing tour though, it was sort of just the fun "riding with the buddies and the crazy stuff we did" stories. Behind the scenes fun and interesting stuff. Something like that from one of the characters in the industry would be fun.

Good Luck!!!

awesome- I love that idea!!!

ballen

X
volunteered content offers exposer, experience and potential future earnings. hell, some people would pay for that.

Good Point! I'm not trying negative... and I can almost guarantee If I have something he needs I would give it to him. I love the idea and i'm sure people will purchase the magazine. :bigok:

For instance the last magazine I bought was "watercraft world" and the only reason I purchased that was for the spread on the Daytona Freeride.

tom21

havin fun
I think it's a great idea don't get me wrong... but your contradicting yourself by asking people to volunteer research, stories, photos... then say "free doesn't do anything but take up time". So are you planning on paying for photos, stories, etc... ?

I guess I'm just a little confused on where you want the direction of the magazine to be.

what I mean is that to work hard by myself or ask other to help to make a FREE magazine will die quickly. who pays for printing? who distributes it nationwide and pays for that? who pays to get shelf space? there are lots of costs and it is enough to just do the work, having to pay to put it in your hands does what?

How long do you think I could do that for? I would have to print them out one by one on my pc.

it take money and business pay to advertise, that money is what makes a magazine possible. no tv commercials - no tv.

ballen

X
thanks for the help and insight on this, I never really considered it how you put it. the intention is to build a great magazine to cover our sport, that is done by having advertisers support. I want to offer some experience and exposure in trade for writing and pictures. I didn't see that as taking advantage of anyone. that was not what I was trying to do.

Thats what I was looking for... :biggthumpup:

tom21

havin fun
I hep u rite it! Me grammer not so good but I like them there stand up see doo's!

Seriously, i like the idea and I think there is more than large enough pool of information (and entertainment) sitting right here on this site. I hope it works for you.... and when does the first addition come out???

planning on July

ballen

X
what I mean is that to work hard by myself or ask other to help to make a FREE magazine will die quickly. who pays for printing? who distributes it nationwide and pays for that? who pays to get shelf space? there are lots of costs and it is enough to just do the work, having to pay to put it in your hands does what?

How long do you think I could do that for? I would have to print them out one by one on my pc.

it take money and business pay to advertise, that money is what makes a magazine possible. no tv commercials - no tv.

I obvisiously misunderstood your use of "free". :cool:

tom21

havin fun
Good Point! I'm not trying negative... and I can almost guarantee If I have something he needs I would give it to him. I love the idea and i'm sure people will purchase the magazine. :bigok:

For instance the last magazine I bought was "watercraft world" and the only reason I purchased that was for the spread on the Daytona Freeride.

EXACTLY!!!!! and how much coverage was in there? more than I have seen to date on any of the freerides or any type of standup riding. RECENTLY that is, I know back in the day there was more.

Now tell me how much more info there could have and should have been. I could write volumes about all the stuff that went on and I missed alot of it. so if being there you can't take it all in how does watercraft worlds article properly convey all there was to see.

And I am not saying it wasn't a great article, it was. I am just saying I want to know more, lots more. Do you?

Nascency Chris

The Nascency Project
clarification bud, its all about clarification...lol...

please do not misunderstand, i think this is awesome just keep your heads on straight about the people that helped when the big checks come rolling in...:headbang:

tom, just let me know what we can do to help here at nascency...i know everyone would dig helping you guys get rolling...

ski_crazy

ISJWTA member #5
sure- which topic do you wanna write?

anyone like "GET WET" or "RideTimes" (take off of high times- its just too funny not to have it pop in my head.) of course the subtitle will be "standup and sitdown pwc magazine"again- it has to be all pwc but will favor non-sitdowns.

I'll do the "readers skis" section. That has always been my favorite section to any magazine.

How about "Freeride Times"

let me know tom.... and my services are FREE:usa2:

Same thing goes for me too Tom.

Top Bottom