Kawi SXI Pro or Yamaha Superjet for new rider on lakes?

I am looking to get my first stand-up and will mainly use it on lakes and sometimes the ocean surf. I am a very active guy, ride motorcycles, dirtbikes, quads, etc. and want something to have fun on the water on. Something fast, very manuverable, can jump, do tricks, etc. with. At first I was looking at a sit-down but I hear the stand-ups are so much more fun. I'm located in northern NJ so if anybody is selling something in the 2K range let me know. I don't have a ton of money to spend, 2K or under.

What are more popular? kawasaki sxi's or superjets? which are better in terms of performance, reliability, etc.?

thanks for any help!

almost everyone is going to tell you to get an sj. i just got a kawi 550 3 days ago and im already ready to get an sj. ive got6 both a sit down and stand up. even though the stand up is challenging, its way more fun

SJ's are said to be way better in the surf. I've ridden the round nose, square nose and the SXI in the surf and they are all fun skis. If your looking to do tricks, then the SJ is probably best, but i'm pretty sure you can get an sxi a little cheaper than most of the round nose skis you'll find. If you opt to get a Kawi, try to find a '96 or newer. They have the big pin motor and if anything should happen, you can rebuild the crank on it.
The old 550's are also a great ski in the surf for someone new. There are a ton of them out there, and they are pretty cheap. They are super easy to throw around.
No matter what ski you go with, your gonna have a blast!

Last edited:
Yeah, don't mess around, just get the Superjet from the get go. I've had a 440, 550's, 750 sxi pro, and now I have a '07 Superjet. It's more reliable and way more fun.

why is the superjet more fun?

what years should I be looking at with the superjets? obviously I can't afford new so what are the best years of used skis to look at?

are these easier to work on and cheaper to maintain than say a sit down?

YAMA CAT

Catnip Junkie!
Superjet are more fun because they are lighter than the pros for one. Fuel tank is larger too so you get to play longer.

Here are some specs on both:

SXI PRO
27.6"W X 26.8"H X 87"L
341.8 LBS DRY WEIGHT
3.96 GAL Fuel Tank
743cc 80mm Bore X 74mm Stroke

SUPERJET
26.8"W X 26"H X88.2"L
291 LBS DRY WEIGHT
4.8 GAL Fuel Tank
701cc 81mm Bore X 68mm Stroke

slickchaos

Chaos on a SJ
SJ are pretty easy to work on..

check out hte boston craiglist, there are 2 Square nose for sale (1500 roughly), a round nose SJ and an FX-1 for sale(1800)...

not sure if your willing to make the drive though..

I think for my size 6'3", 200lbs I might be a little cramped on the superjet.. the kawi is a little bigger right?

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
good grief man..

come here ask for advice..

get it, and then disregard it.

I tell you what..

get the kawasaki, and come back and bump this thread when you upgrade to a superjet.

everyone keeps saying SJ but why? then I talk to friends and others and say both the SXI/SRX and Superjets are very similar riding... I won't be racing so not sure if that makes a difference. I am looking for a stock ski to screw around on my lake with.

Top Bottom