Kawidoo Freeride???

Just spoke to my mechanic, ski is done wating for the hp to be sprayed... he says the hull can be half full still wont go in the motor... will have to see in real life, I think the sea doo engine is smooth power not all powerband which woul make a great surf ski!:Banane26: Thanx for the video post I think il make a wave if im a 100 yards away lol:arms:

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
I have looked at this for a long time,there are a couple of issues on the 951 that for freestyle use cannot be ignored.The first is the intake setup,you will have to mock up a long restrictive air intake setup to keep the water out of the engine,this will restrict air flow,on a performance application that will be a problem.In 99 when they changed to the new style airboxes we had to rejet all the carbs because of restricted airflow,you could tell the difference in the engines performance just by seat of the pants,if you plan on doing mods to the engine the airflow problem will only increase.The 951 is good for about one round of water ingestion after that you get to rebuild the top end,The 787 is a long proven engine with more race wins under its belt than any other engine out there,a 787 with mods will be more reliable than a 951 with the same mods,plus its a light lighter and the carbs are not sitting on the bottom of the hull like a big hoover vacumm.If the 787 is not fast enough I will put a VE 920 kit on it,I will still be money ahead in the long run,for me the 951 option just doesn't add up.If any of you feel you can make it work by all means give it a go.

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
I haven't heard of anyone doing it besides for racing. I started a thread awhile ago and didn't seem like anyone has. Let us know how it rides! If I do anything to mine it will most likely be a 66e but I have been thinkin a 951 would be sweet too.

:Banane09: oh yeah

Waternut

Customizing addict
I have looked at this for a long time,there are a couple of issues on the 951 that for freestyle use cannot be ignored.The first is the intake setup,you will have to mock up a long restrictive air intake setup to keep the water out of the engine,this will restrict air flow,on a performance application that will be a problem.

Fixing the problem with the intake would be a cake walk compared to all the custom fabrication to actually make it fit in a standup hull.

Are there better engines? Absolutely. However, the extra price involved between a reliable/compareable displacement stroker motor with power valves is seriously different from a semi-reliable 951. I also wouldn't consider a high performance motor over 900cc to be the epitomy of reliable either.

I could probably afford a 951, pipe, and electronics and with some time get it all installed. The odds of me coming up with $5k-10k for a nice custom motor is so far out of reach it's not even funny.

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
Fixing the problem with the intake would be a cake walk compared to all the custom fabrication to actually make it fit in a standup hull.

Are there better engines? Absolutely. However, the extra price involved between a reliable/compareable displacement stroker motor with power valves is seriously different from a semi-reliable 951. I also wouldn't consider a high performance motor over 900cc to be the epitomy of reliable either.

I could probably afford a 951, pipe, and electronics and with some time get it all installed. The odds of me coming up with $5k-10k for a nice custom motor is so far out of reach it's not even funny.

You can build a bolt-in yamaha based motor over 900cc with powervalves for less than $5k easy with off the shelf parts and no intake/carb location issues.

Last edited:

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter

There are kits for putting in the 951. All the work has been done except the intake. Alot of racers have already been running this setup with great results.

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
so how hard would be be to make a custom intake? similar to whats been done for the 66e???

I would guess pretty tough due to the location of the exhaust..
modified_951.gif

The 66E exhaust is on the opposite side of the engine only requiring you to turn it up 90*. Depending on the exhaust used you could possibly angle them up and out (leaned towards the flywheel and PTO respectively) to help get a more upright angle on them.

Last edited:
I would guess pretty tough due to the location of the exhaust..
modified_951.gif

The 66E exhaust is on the opposite side of the engine only requiring you to turn it up 90*. Depending on the exhaust used you could possibly angle them up and out (leaned towards the flywheel and PTO respectively) to help get a more upright angle on them.

wow...never looked at it in detail before

If its a submarine il sell it and buy a freeride hull to put a more reliable motor in like the 900cc+ of teamscream i think, this is a stock sxr hull with only a few places made stronger... i really wonder how much power is too much for the surf becasue throttle control plays a huge role, that and self control haha

Top Bottom