Kickstand for rn pole on sn bracket

jjchambers

got me my braaapp!!
So what is everyone using to hold their rn pole up on a sn bracket. The stock sn kickstand is just too short. I'm tired of holding the pole up with my head while I'll take the hood off. Pics would be great and I'll post pics of my setup (Pablo may have posted some on his build thread) when I get back from my son's gymnastics class.

J

jjchambers

got me my braaapp!!
Here's a pic of my stock sn bracket and kickstand w/ a rn pole on it. You can see the kickstand is just too short and not at the right angle. I was thinking of grinding down the part colored in green so it sticks in a bit more and then trying to bend it a bit so it sits in the rights spot. Anyone done this before, did it work out or is there a better solution?

Attachments

• kickstand.jpg
    kickstand.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 59

Etheraldreamer

Be there and be square.
Drove me crazy too. Even if you put a RN mount on it the angle isnt the same so the bracket ends up holding it barely off the hood. my solution was x-metal pinch bolts. pole stays where you put it. :)

Waternut

Customizing addict
You could just thread that rod, add a coupler nut, and add an extension to the rod so that it's long enough to support the pole.

jjchambers

got me my braaapp!!
You could just thread that rod, add a coupler nut, and add an extension to the rod so that it's long enough to support the pole.

That was my first thought, actually it was to just tap a hole into it and stick a screw in there, but the angle is just off. It needs to be extended and re-bent to catch the spot.

I'm going to try tightening the bolts and grinding on the existing kickstand to see if I can make it work.

For those that just tighten it down, how often do you have to re-tighten?

J

Etheraldreamer

Be there and be square.
Every month or so if im riding regularly (ie 2 times a week or so). It gets more frequent as the pole bushings get older. But it seriously takes MAYBE 2 minutes or so...I just do it while i have the hood off and am rinsing the ski after riding.

FyrHazard

Ski Eat Sleep Repeat
I've been using a jerk-strap or bungie cord from the bars to the nose of the ski for garage work. Not so handy for out in the field. I've got a custom bracket on my SN for my RN pole, always meant to put a new hole in for the kickstand. Let us know what you end up with!

jjchambers

got me my braaapp!!
So I spent a couple hours trying to bend the kickstand to hold up the pole and it's not gonna happen. I was able to grind it down so it extended farther under the pole, but the notch in the rn pole just wasn't angled enough to catch the kickstand. When it did, the weight of the pole just pushed it out of the way. I think I could have ground on the pole some to make it catch better but I would have had to take the pole off and I'm not ready to do that.

So I ended up putting a small screw into the pole and it rests on the kickstand. Right now it supports the weight of the pole, but if you were to put any force on it, it would rip right out. I'll re-do it if I ever take the pole off and put a bigger and deeper screw in so it can hold up to some abuse. The kickstand works, it swings in and out of place so I'm happy with it for now.

Attachments

• kickstand3.jpg
    kickstand3.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 38

Pablo

sqeez bth levrs & lean bk
Site Supporter
So I spent a couple hours trying to bend the kickstand to hold up the pole and it's not gonna happen. I was able to grind it down so it extended farther under the pole, but the notch in the rn pole just wasn't angled enough to catch the kickstand. When it did, the weight of the pole just pushed it out of the way. I think I could have ground on the pole some to make it catch better but I would have had to take the pole off and I'm not ready to do that.

So I ended up putting a small screw into the pole and it rests on the kickstand. Right now it supports the weight of the pole, but if you were to put any force on it, it would rip right out. I'll re-do it if I ever take the pole off and put a bigger and deeper screw in so it can hold up to some abuse. The kickstand works, it swings in and out of place so I'm happy with it for now.

Good fix JJ. I hadn't thought of that. Is it a stainless screw? At times I have used a bungee/limiting type strap from the handle bars to the front bow grommet. You can tuck that away in a gear bag and grab it out any time you need it.

Top Bottom