kidkornfilms: Cleveland Surf 09/11

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
[video=vimeo;30286916]http://vimeo.com/30286916[/video]

Some 2-3 footers one day and 4-5 footers the next both mixed together on Lake Erie... Both days were really choppy and close together, but got a couple good shots! Good plumber smack talk at the END!

My first vid with my new HD cam, can't say that I am happy with the quality. It looks really choppy (sklpping frames) and not near as clear as the original footage...looks like I am going to have to learn a new editing program. Pinnacle just doesn't cut it with HD. Can I also add that Windows 7 is the biggest slowest POS I have ever used. Horrible. I had chunks in my stool this morning that are better than Windows 7. It even slows down my typing and I have 8GB of ram and a quad core processor. SUCKS.

Either way, it felt good to make a jetski video again...it's been a year!

Last edited:
God that chop looks worse on film than it was which is hard to believe cuz it was bad!

Nice edit Korn! Stay back Canadians!!

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
It was gnarley those two days....but fun to play on......no way to really set up for any air.

......have I said Windows 7 sucks yet? It sucks. Everything is slower than it was on my old computer, (except the editing). I think I am gonna try XP 64 with Adobe Premier.

rasper99

Freighter wake hunter
Disclaimer: I am not saying Micr$oft products are great for everything. I only run Micro$oft products to do video work. I use Linux for as many things as I can. Linux video editing sucks.

Did you upgrade over your existing XP installation or format and start fresh? Upgrades tend to blow chunks. Which version of Windows 7? I assume 64 bits since you were talking about that to see all the RAM. Did you upgrade Pinnacle like I recommended? From what I remember the version you had was the first version to support HD. I try to use my years of computer experience to help people. Do they ever listen?

My Dell 580 core i3 that came with Windows 7 home premium 64 bit running Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10 Production Suite that cost $125 rocks the HD editing!

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
W8ndows 7 home premium 64 bit (fresh). AMD Quadcore, New motherboard, 8GB of Ram. All fresh..computer is empty.........7 is just SLOW, just opening folders and basic crap takes sooo muuuch longer. Like XP wayyy better.

As far as Pinnacle, I got all the upgrades for 12 Ultimate, from what I've read the switch to 15 won't help much, but that may be my last step. It's editing pretty fast (not as fast as I am used to), but the results are for sure less than stellar. Gonna do a little more research on Pinnacle and see where to go from there...(try to adjust some settings) may switch to Sony. I like how yours looks.

Last edited:

spork

down with the sickness
Matt that was one crazy... stab? Whatever it was was badass lol.

Korn personally I love Windows 7, and it seems about as fast as xp did to me. What hd are you running?

rasper99

Freighter wake hunter
W8ndows 7 home premium 64 bit (fresh). AMD Quadcore, New motherboard, 8GB of Ram. All fresh..computer is empty.........7 is just SLOW, just opening folders and basic crap takes sooo muuuch longer. Like XP wayyy better.

As far as Pinnacle, I got all the upgrades for 12 Ultimate, from what I've read the switch to 15 won't help much, but that may be my last step. It's editing pretty fast (not as fast as I am used to), but the results are for sure less than stellar. Gonna do a little more research on Pinnacle and see where to go from there...(try to adjust some settings) may switch to Sony. I like how yours looks.
A lot of my clips aren't edited. I am very careful how I shoot video to avoid it. Here is one of my recent edits I am happy with

Since you mention slow folder opening do you have a nice new 7200 RPM SATA drive with like 32 meg of cache? That help s a lot on video editing. Please don't anyone get started on SSDs. Video editing takes lots of room.

You can download a free trial of Vegas that I think expires after 30 days. That will at least it will tell you if performance issue is Pinnacle or Win 7. Dropping frames in not a good thing.

They have a $49 version that doesn't include DVD authoring, sound editing tools, etc. It is nice to say export to DVD and it just works. I was good on cash at the time so I got the $125 in case I wanted to do surround sound, etc in the future. Compare the products here:
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiohd/compare

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt that was one crazy... stab? Whatever it was was badass lol.

Korn personally I love Windows 7, and it seems about as fast as xp did to me. What hd are you running?

I don't what they are either...lol...

Korn I think we need to try something other than Pinnacle.

I have not seen the issues with 7 you are having but I will be FINALLY forced to install 7 when BF3 shows up at the end of October. We shall see!

I have XP64 we can load and try any time on another hard drive.

Rasp he using a 7200RPM hard drive......with our budget a SSD and even 10k RPM drives were a no go.....but he should not need either at all.

I really think Pinnacle is holding him back.....the hardware is not being stressed at all and I can't believe Windows 7 is the issue.....but maybe I need to tweak it some more...

Last edited:

motozachl

uPsiDeDoWn
That's the week I missed while in Florida :theyareontome: it does look incredibly choppy, which it is alot of times. Perhaps the camera was zoomed in too far :shrug: Get some more footage, keep up the good work DJ. How's le ankle? Sore I bet

PS. totally dig the song choices :smokin:

rasper99

Freighter wake hunter
I don't what they are either...lol...

Korn I think we need to try something other than Pinnacle.

I have not seen the issues with 7 you are having but I will be FINALLY forced to install 7 when BF3 shows up at the end of October. We shall see!

I have XP64 we can load and try any time on another hard drive.

Rasp he using a 7200RPM hard drive......with our budget a SSD and even 10k RPM drives were a no go.....but he should not need either at all.

I really think Pinnacle is holding him back.....the hardware is not being stressed at all and I can't believe Windows 7 is the issue.....but maybe I need to tweak it some more...
I remembered that you had built it and that it was pretty bad azz. It does sound more like the well known "first version of the software that supports something" syndrome. The version of Pinnacle he has probably isn't "tweaked" to work well on Windows 7. If you have lots of RAM the disk caching keeps recent stuff in memory for smooth sailing.

If DJ does try Vegas something that works well for moving through the video is first put down the mouse and use the keyboard. Use the left and right arrow keys to zip through the video fast. It goes as fast as your computer can handle versus grabbing the scrub control on the lower left which can overload it. When you get close to where you need to be use alt-arrow to go frame by frame. It will auto-repeat if you hold it. Using the alt key sometimes get you into the pull down menus which you can exit by then hitting escape. Once you are at the spot sit s to split the clip. Click on the part you want to delete and hit the delete key. With ripple mode on everything automatically shifts to the left to fill the gap. You can get jammin' pretty fast.

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
Got the trial version of Vegas...holy crap. I don't know what the hell I am doing. There are alot more steps to cutting up the clips than I am used to... I'll play with it for a few days and see if I can get the hang of it.

How do I get the clips up in the trimmer section??? Damn, when you use something for 8 years, it is hard to start over.

Last edited:

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
That's the week I missed while in Florida :theyareontome: it does look incredibly choppy, which it is alot of times. Perhaps the camera was zoomed in too far :shrug: Get some more footage, keep up the good work DJ. How's le ankle? Sore I bet
PS. totally dig the song choices :smokin:

Glad you dug it. Zach, did I get you any of my DVD's yet? let me know and I'll burn some up for ya..... The ankle is f'd. I can now walk without a limp, but running or even walking down stairs fast is still out of the question. I can't imagine getting on a ski right now..... too much pain to even contemplate.

rasper99

Freighter wake hunter
Got the trial version of Vegas...holy crap. I don't know what the hell I am doing. There are alot more steps to cutting up the clips than I am used to... I'll play with it for a few days and see if I can get the hang of it.

How do I get the clips up in the trimmer section??? Damn, when you use something for 8 years, it is hard to start over.
Welcome to the big leagues! It's a bit more complicated but is very powerful.

When you start Vegas it should have a window that says "Welcome" on the top edge. On the middle right there is a "Show Me how Tutorials". Click that. If you don't get the welcome screen click help on the top menu then welcome. You can also google for Sony vegas tutorial.

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
Alright, I played with Vegas for a couple more hours and it is not for me. I can't move things around fast enough and there is too many buttons to push to get things done. It is a cool program and if I was making something professional and doing it nice and slow and taking my time I might go with it, but I'm not. Thanks Rasper for the help with it, I did the tutorials and figured out how things work, it just doesn't work with my brain.

Anyway, Pinnacle was recently bought out by AVID and they make Professional video editors. The problem I have been having with Pinnacle 12 is that it is only 32 bit supported and supports HD cameras, but does not put out video in full HD. Same with Pinnacle 15.............(Like Rasper said, they are too old of a program)

....BUT the new AVID version of Studio is 64bit, is Prosumer and is in full HD, but uses the same editing format as the old Pinnacle. I am 99% sure that I am going to upgrade to that. I have watched some vids made by AVID Studio and like what I saw. This way I can keep my 8 years of experience with the editor and still get a ton of new HD effects and produce vids in full HD.

rasper99

Freighter wake hunter
Alright, I played with Vegas for a couple more hours and it is not for me. I can't move things around fast enough and there is too many buttons to push to get things done. It is a cool program and if I was making something professional and doing it nice and slow and taking my time I might go with it, but I'm not. Thanks Rasper for the help with it, I did the tutorials and figured out how things work, it just doesn't work with my brain.

Anyway, Pinnacle was recently bought out by AVID and they make Professional video editors. The problem I have been having with Pinnacle 12 is that it is only 32 bit supported and supports HD cameras, but does not put out video in full HD. Same with Pinnacle 15.............(Like Rasper said, they are too old of a program)

....BUT the new AVID version of Studio is 64bit, is Prosumer and is in full HD, but uses the same editing format as the old Pinnacle. I am 99% sure that I am going to upgrade to that. I have watched some vids made by AVID Studio and like what I saw. This way I can keep my 8 years of experience with the editor and still get a ton of new HD effects and produce vids in full HD.
It's OK if you prefer something like what you were using. I don't mind that you and Vegas don't get along. I hope things works out for you so your cool vids look even better!

What part of Cleveland are you guys at? My entire family lives up there and I visit from time to time during summer. The only beach of lake erie that I saw was completely filled with garbage (cement, rebar, and plenty of rust for all of the little kids to enjoy!). Would be cool to ride with you guys if I ever got up there with my ski.

Oh and by any chance are you running 32bit OS? For that will probably be the reason why your win7 is taking a dump on you.

Top Bottom