Surfriding Killing the salt

Hey guys I ride in 100% salt all the time and I already use fluid film to protect my exterior parts from corrosion but I am wondering what to do about the inside. I have heard about salt away and it seems like a good product. My question is will it react with the fluid film and dissolve it, and will it remove previous salt deposits? I have a feeling the previous owner just flushed the ski and called it a day and there may be some salt deposits in the cylinders.

AtomicPunk

Lifetime bans are AWESOME
Site Supporter
Some guys use salt away, I do not.
Flush your ski after each ride, thoroughly rinse down the motor AND pump, coat motor with fluid film or similar. Done.

i use kwik tek salt terminator only because i got a bunch of it when i bought out carbon tech. i spray it on the motor before and after salt water riding. i dont flush the motor with it, i just ride fresh water after salt

I rinse with dawn dish soap .I also flush with it connected to a yard sprayer then rinse with fresh water. Let it dry coat it with t-9 .

I had a stock exhaust pipe I pulled off a ski once, completely clogged up with salt crystals and salt dust. I stuck it in a barrel of fresh water for a day just to see what happened, I was suprised at how well the fresh water cleaned it up, and this stuff you had to pick out with a screwdriver before. After that Im a believer in a good long fresh waterflush after riding.

So do any of you flush with salt away? I had a ski that I would thoroughly rinse after every ride and it still managed to corrode everywhere and seize the pump.

I don't see a significant difference between salt away and regular dish soap. They both clean/neutralize salt, just one is way more expensive.. I wash/flush my ski with dish soap and run it in the local lake once in a while..

I don't have the luxury of riding a freshwater river so letting it idle for ten minutes while pumping soap through it seems to be my best bet. Never thought of trying that before. Now I just need to get a hose mixer attachment thingy and I'll be all set.

stay a way from WD-40. There are much better protectants that don't harm rubber or plastics. I spray my motor down with Boeing Shield T-9. Works great for protecting anything on the outside of the engine. I used to use saltaway, for it to work best you need to leave it in the engine which doesn't really doesn't apply to us. Save you money, flush with water and spray you engine down with t-9

Hey guys I ride in 100% salt all the time and I already use fluid film to protect my exterior parts from corrosion but I am wondering what to do about the inside. I have heard about salt away and it seems like a good product. My question is will it react with the fluid film and dissolve it, and will it remove previous salt deposits? I have a feeling the previous owner just flushed the ski and called it a day and there may be some salt deposits in the cylinders.

I haven't checked the ph of salt-away but it seems to be mildly acidic water, probably phosphoric acid. This helps neutralize salt which is a base as are most detergents. Thorough flushing with fresh water will do the job, it just takes a little longer. Equally important, do 2-3 dry runs to dry out the exhaust and make sure the engine bay is completely dry before closing the hood. Even better, leave the hood propped open.

This might be controversial but.....i've been riding for 30 years and all of it in salt water. I've never flushed a ski and have never seen any impacts of not doing so. My original 701 is still together and running after 19 years of very heavy use in salt. I do rinse the exterior of the engine and ski with fresh water and then coat the engine with Dupont silicone with teflon after each use.

I'm not saying that flushing isn't a good thing, as I'm certain it is. However, I don't believe not flushing is quite as destructive as folks fear.

extreemthrottle

freeride junkie
i always flush my motor and ski with fresh water, then every couple rides i spray the motor and other components with corrosion block, which has been working great. but the last time i tore the motor down, i still found salt creep in quite a few bolts. i think its inevitable if your a salt only rider.

AtomicPunk

Lifetime bans are AWESOME
Site Supporter
This might be controversial but.....i've been riding for 30 years and all of it in salt water. I've never flushed a ski and have never seen any impacts of not doing so. My original 701 is still together and running after 19 years of very heavy use in salt. I do rinse the exterior of the engine and ski with fresh water and then coat the engine with Dupont silicone with teflon after each use.

I'm not saying that flushing isn't a good thing, as I'm certain it is. However, I don't believe not flushing is quite as destructive as folks fear.

I think what helps in your case is that you ride very frequently... how many times a week do you ride?

JT_Freeride

John Tetenes @Jtetenes

Out of curiosity why haven't you flushed a ski?

Top Bottom