Super Jet LegDrag Lightweight SuperJet Build

MikeyB

H2O-Addict®
D88E16C4-F573-494C-9C0E-2AE2EB8A61AA-1268-0000019B664EBB05.jpg

F8931DCD-6FDB-4342-AFDE-D8FEFBDF2082-1268-0000019B6D393080.jpg

MikeyB

H2O-Addict®
Got a piece of carbon down where I removed the delaminating piece of glass. The next step will be to thicken up some epoxy and smooth it out and then on to reinforcing the engine bay.

0005AE04-2287-4101-9C89-3A38358B1121-850-000000B5C48B13A7.jpg

F5D380E2-B0C6-4053-A223-9F41F86FBDCF-850-000000B5B06168E5.jpg

94F1F808-F0AF-4382-82E0-6B80180A079C-850-000000B5B8854549.jpg

F12BD3D6-0B17-4A06-92FA-01873279055A-850-000000B5C08397C3.jpg

F704B03E-2A45-48B5-8A80-201F15F49E03-850-000000B5D1205624.jpg

MikeyB

H2O-Addict®
Cool build, let us know how that brand of epoxy works out for you, I started using it on my rockerd SN and switched over to west system, this stuff would gum up when I tried to grind it down. It may have been out of date though, good luck with your build.

Thanks, so far so good it seems to be curing fully. It might have been old resin that you used or maybe it wasn't mixed right?

Nice! That is a GREAT weight for the Great Lakes! I wasn't really sure when I got my hull but I remember Slutty and a few others telling me it was a great weight....and man were they right!

Nice ski!

Thanks, I hope your right! I'm really wanting something more stable on the big water after riding the FX-1 all last season. Although, with the 144 and tubbies I think that would still be an awesome boat.

It sucks trying to do large areas in this weather, the epoxy gets real thick real fast, I have been using a heat gun after wetout to get the extra epoxy out of the cloth, I'm just going to bring the Bob in the basement to put the carbon in the engine bay, I figure now is a good time to see how it makes the trip down the stairs before it goes to paint, if it fits easy, i'll take it back down for turf after paint

Wow you weren't kidding. I accidentally left the resin in the garage over night and when I went to mix some up today it was barely even coming out of the can.

it's like 50 out today get glassing!

Wouldn't mind if it just stayed like that!

Looks good, gonna be like spring on Sat.

Thanks!

Last edited:

MikeyB

H2O-Addict®
I was curious on how you fixed this? Is that all the way through?

View attachment 207413

Its not all the way through, but its like that down both sides of the ski from the engine compartment all the way to the end of the gunwales. Its weird it seems like the fiberglass that was laid down in the mold wasn't pressed all the way into those corners leaving a gap between the glass and the gelcoat so eventually the gelcoat chipped away. I just mixed up some epoxy with microspheres and filled the gap, but still have to do the other side.

Lookin good Mikey! I loved that hull even tho I didnt have much time on it. Awesome on the flat water an was a blast in the waves of Superior being lighter then an OEM hull. Keep up the hard work!

MikeyB

H2O-Addict®
Lookin good Mikey! I loved that hull even tho I didnt have much time on it. Awesome on the flat water an was a blast in the waves of Superior being lighter then an OEM hull. Keep up the hard work!

Thanks man I can't wait to get this thing together! Have you started building your new one yet?

Man your going hard. Haven't been on the X in a while. The new hull looks nice, but the garage is what really impressed me! So I'm guessing I can't buy the big black tool box anymore...

tomski

X
Are you sure it isn't damage from use and not from the original lay-up? I would repair with glass instead of just filling.

MikeyB

H2O-Addict®
Man your going hard. Haven't been on the X in a while. The new hull looks nice, but the garage is what really impressed me! So I'm guessing I can't buy the big black tool box anymore...

Thanks brotha I know the garage definitely got a serious makeover!

Are you sure it isn't damage from use and not from the original lay-up? I would repair with glass instead of just filling.

Maybe the flexing of the hull from its thin layup caused the gelcoat to break away and maybe thats how the delaminating section developed too? Reinforcing the whole engine compartment and filling the corners with epoxy won't be enough?

kustumk31

woah yeah
Stop by anytime... I need to rip it down and reinforce. but keep at it .looking good I have to stop by and check this thing out

Last edited:

tomski

X
Maybe the flexing of the hull from its thin layup caused the gelcoat to break away and maybe thats how the delaminating section developed too? Reinforcing the whole engine compartment and filling the corners with epoxy won't be enough?

Bingo...I definitely agree on the layup helping with the damage. In my opinion filling is a band aid. Grinding back the glass and re-laminating that area would have been the correct way to fix.

And since the hull is vinylester resin I would have used the same to repair it. But for most people epoxy is a better choice because of it's secondary bonding characteristics.

Top Bottom