Lenzi Ski Pics

Big Kahuna

Administrator
The rule change fixes the new hull issues, but whatever ski yours is claimed to resemble is cases that you must run to be legal. If your ski is claimed to be an SXR, then you better have a kawi based motor in there....

that is gonna be the problem..

Malone had that same issue with the EME. Polaris based engine in what appeared to be a SXR based hull.

wsuwrhr

Purveyor of the Biggest Brapp
I feel the same, the lower the class, the more rules to keep it fair, honest and most importantly, inexpensive. That is the only way IMHO to keep newcomers coming into the sport, to ensure the class for years to come.

Look at what happened in the 80's when the OE's started throwing money into the sport to dominate. It absolutely killed the series. You had to have factory backing or you were racing your heart out to even make tenth place. Few newcomers would even try to enter.

The guys starting out with no sponsors(and no money) need to have a level playing field to keep the guys who are "sandbagging" with the honed skills and with the dollars, out of dominating the lower classes.

As the levels of comp elevate, of course more money can be put into hulls, gear and motors.

Hense the "PRO" classes, essentially in most other classes is "run what you brung, and hope you brung enough." I think the least amount of rules possible, mainly to keep it safe. The classes most EVERYONE wants to see. The dudes(and gals) with the serious skill(and serious money) to be able to(afford to) run a 20K one-of-a-kind hull onto the beach and not even think twice about it, just to make an impression.

Top fuel drag racing, Nascar, Indy, all top classes, all with few rules compared to the lower
classes. Engineered to be the best-of-the-best competing against each other.

Seriously, what is the purse(if any) to win freestyle comp? Lenzi flys himself and usually two to three other people with him from Brazil just to compete.

Doubtful there is any money in winning, the most is the prestige and bragging rights that come from being the champ.

My two worthless pennies.

Brian

Last edited:

jeckert

Going backwards
A few years back Eric had a $2500 check in his hand for winning the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP!...lucky him, that's enough to cover that 8mm Polaris crankshaft!

GIL

Power In The Hands Of Few
Now for GilGetsFlamed hour

The rules really don't make a dam because the scoring is nothing more than a popularity contest and is sooooooo dam subjective even when it
is good.

With that said-I hope to be able to compete at several events next year.
My ski is really ripping and I have no reason to tweak on it next spring-hence more time to avoid the X and the tool box and more time to practice. I have fianlly convinced myself that going to an event and competing is all about hanging w/my friends for the weekend-not trying to become the next E.M.

I opened the door and now u guys can flame on!

snowxr

V watch your daughters V
X2 it's bragging rights, and future sponsorships for the winner. If you sell freestyle products, it's extra publicity and likely increased sales.

Lenzi just seems to be independantly wealthy to begin with. His Boat building business also employs workers who build his hulls. He has the means to have a newly restyled ski built on a weekly basis if needed.

I don't think IJSBA has a good grasp of what entry level racing is all about. The new racers need to buy a new $8-15K pwc, then spend another $2-3K to make it competitive, because the rules allow so many mods in the stock racing classes. I guess you can blame the XiR/ RXX/ Octane/ Thunderjet for that.

snowxr

V watch your daughters V
Gil, you have the right idea. You know that you're never gonna be "the man" and win the WF's, and you don't seem to mind one bit. I'd like to try to compete someday, too. I would rather hang out with my family and friends, though.

jetskier79

I'm goin' for two
The rules really don't make a dam because the scoring is nothing more than a popularity contest and is sooooooo dam subjective even when it
is good.

This is mostly the case in all judged events, from freestyle and freeride to gymnastics and ice skating. It's even more true when judging takes place in a series or tour, and is further compounded when it's a recurring series or tour. If your the new guy, you need to do more than just barely beat the familiar faces if you want to win. I've been on the losing side of this kind of situation in IFWA contests as well. Sure, it can be frustrating as hell - but it's the nature of the beast.

The only time you can really justify getting your panties in a wad about it is when there are glaring discrepancies, supported by nearly everyone outside of the judging staff. Being competitive in a judged event is as much about knowing what needs to be done to win (read: what the judges are looking for), as it is about being capable of accomplishing said requirements.

For what it's worth - this isn't a flame. I caught a glimpse of your thread about Watanabe getting robbed at WF, and I get the sense that this is a spill over from a gripe that you've established. A worthwhile gripe, maybe - but I wasn't at finals this year, and can say much about that particular instance. Just thought I'd offer my opinion, from the perspective of a competitor at judged events. An opinion that I think has allowed me to compete, and enjoy it, without getting too damn stressed out about judging "mistakes"

IKSTEJ

BOGIE
Lenzis World Championship check for this year was a whopping $511.00
In his words "I can't even buy everyone McDonalds"

Just doesn't seem right.

Anyone get what Rick Roy said in the tower after the comp?
It needed to be said, and theres not a better person to say it.
Hopefully it doesn't fall on deaf ears

Hopefully someone got that on tape.

The Penguin

triple secret probation

Just doesn't seem right.

for those of us that weren't there - can you paraphrase it?

GIL

Power In The Hands Of Few

Just doesn't seem right.

So I am NOT the only one that caught that huh? They had the camera on him during that speech for the webcast.

My point was not slamming Watanabe-sp- it was that if you are in this for the money-you are wasting your time. The ONE AND ONLY reason to compete is to chill with your fellow competitors. It is my opinion that you cannot put a price on that. If it takes a very expensive race weekend to bring everyone together-then so be it. The guys I really feel sorry for are the winners-generally speaking they spent the most money and don't get much of anything in return other than the glory. lol

since the death of the sport ski scene as far as support and $ is concerned its laughable to me to even have a competition with a prize when it costs as much as it does to be competitive....hence the birth of the freerides. If all you wana do is hang with your friends and ride and have a great weekend like the rest of us,party all night and not worry about losing.save your 10s of 1000s and go to all the freerides instead. you wont wonder why you bothered when its over.

jetski9010

Team RTYD
since the death of the sport ski scene as far as support and $ is concerned its laughable to me to even have a competition with a prize when it costs as much as it does to be competitive....hence the birth of the freerides. If all you wana do is hang with your friends and ride and have a great weekend like the rest of us,party all night and not worry about losing.save your 10s of 1000s and go to all the freerides instead. you wont wonder why you bothered when its over.
I have to agree the freerides are sick!

Top Bottom