Lessons learned during rebuilds...

What are some of the most important lessons you learned during rebuilds?

There's a saying that good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. So what were some of your mistakes, regrets, or lessons learned? Which products or tools did you regret using during your rebuilds?

I'll start....

- Removing the flywheel with a gear puller simply doesn't work. A harmonic balance puller is a must!

- Threading harmonic ballance puller bolts too much into th flywheel will damage the stator.

-wasting time working on a ski in the middle of a michigan winter.

-rushing fiberglass work is NEVER a good idea

-listen to people who know what there doing. its a lot cheaper then learning the hard way

-dont do anything half assed

the list goes on lol

smoofers

Rockin' the SQUARE!!!!
Site Supporter
Never bet on the one part you need to finish a build (or certain aspect of that build) arriving when it is supposed to. If it does arrive on time it is usually the wrong part.

accbr

addicted
Never bet on the one part you need to finish a build (or certain aspect of that build) arriving when it is supposed to. If it does arrive on time it is usually the wrong part.

X2. I got screwed this weekend after I paid for 2 day shipping. They lost the order and didn't ship it until yesterday.

Make sure everything is disconnected when pulling a motor out.

Etheraldreamer

Be there and be square.
Take your time and dont rush!

The single most important thing imo.
I've spent weeks slapping things together just to go ride only to have it break while riding. Save yourself the heartache and just take the time to do it right, even if it means you can't ride immediatly.

Last edited:

Lucaumpits

RIDE LIKE U'VE STOLE IT!!
always have a backup ski to ride while you have a project going, that will help you avouid the rush!

WTF, hurry up and get it done:smashfreakB:

If you drop a small part, how soon you find it is in direct proportion to how bad you need it, or how soon you can get another one when you can't find the one you drop. If it's a one-off part, forget EVER finding it.

If you drop the only size socket you have, instead of falling at your feet nicely, it will roll out the garage and somewhere up into Wisconsin.

Etheraldreamer

Be there and be square.
If you drop the only size socket you have, instead of falling at your feet nicely, it will roll out the garage and somewhere up into Wisconsin.

Or wedge itself beneath the crankcase with 900lbs of pressure making you remove the whole motor to retrieve the damn thing....jet skis just might be a direct link to hell..

accbr

addicted
Or wedge itself beneath the crankcase with 900lbs of pressure making you remove the whole motor to retrieve the damn thing....jet skis just might be a direct link to hell..

Ha!! That reminds me. Stuff rags around the rods while installing pistons. I dropped a circlip in the case once. I got lucky and was able to fish it out through the intake.

If you drop a small part, how soon you find it is in direct proportion to how bad you need it, or how soon you can get another one when you can't find the one you drop. If it's a one-off part, forget EVER finding it.

I found a screwdriver and wire cutters in my RN when i partially took it apart. Those tools were left there by the previous owner.

CoreyLKN

LKN Freestyle Militia
I would put some type of strainer on my scupper valve next time somewhere near the bulkhead so i dont loose bolts :banghead:

And i found a snickers wrapper in my last SN i bought

Waternut

Customizing addict
I would put some type of strainer on my scupper valve next time somewhere near the bulkhead so i dont loose bolts :banghead:

And i found a snickers wrapper in my last SN i bought

On that note, I would've never installed a scupper in the first place. lol
Also would've never installed trim or custom modified the aluminum pole on my 750.

Endo

Non-tree hugger
1> Just a little tighter on that bolt or nut is not always a good idea
2> (repeat) a dropped tool, washer,bolt, something important will ALWAYS go under the motor.
3> Wrenchs that slip will ALWAYS head for the nearest knuckle or forehead (especially true on vehicle suspensions)

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
Wait at least two years before doing any mod posted here,usually by that time the mod will no longer be in vouge and you will save yourself much in time ,labor and ridicule.For instance scupper,front exhaust etc etc.

Last edited:
On that note, I would've never installed a scupper in the first place. lol
Also would've never installed trim or custom modified the aluminum pole on my 750.

why no trim? mine has been holding up fine until i broke my first cable last week...

Top Bottom