Other lightning messed me up bad!

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
so today i was riding at the lake when a storm rolled in. figured it was one of those normally afternoon showers and would pass soon. so i continued riding and BOOM lightning strikes, didnt see where it hit but it shut my ski off and locked me up for a split second. whew, that wasnt fun.. ill park it and wait it out next time!

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
the ski is fine. it started right back up. i was wearing shoes and was on my RN. i was soaked, just got done with a sub. when i say it locked me up, it was like the first time i cut a 220 line with metal handled wire snips but dissipated really fast. it shook me up pretty bad. i have always been the one to defy nature. 2 things have changed that, my first surf ride (the swells where over my head) and the lightning incident.

dont fk with nature..

Last edited:

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Glad to hear you're okay after that. My wife drags me off the water at the slightest sign of a storm. She was playing softball when she was 14 and saw the girl pitching struck and killed. It changes your perspectives.

SuziQ

Banned
Relieved to read you are feeling ok (now I know why your mother chose a career within the health industry). Your shoes did not protect you (neither will tires on a car), myth. Give me a call when you have time today. It is very interesting, and I would like to ask you some detailed questions.

My dad was hit twice. Once was cought on tape of a cops car. We own a towing bussiness and he was hooking up a car lighting hit the guard rail jump to him and out the truck. Then the 2nd time i was there, storm came in he went to the door to go inside, the lighting hit him or the door im not sure but got him good, went up the side of the house and blew a transformer off the first pole on the street. That time it melted his watch to his arm. He would always say "it wakes you right up" LOL but he was fine both times.
Crazy stuff

this reminds me of a question I've been curious about for a while now..how far can lightning travel in water...anybody know?

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
i dont think there is a set answer. im no lightning expert but i would imagine the strength varies tremendously. in the article (where sh get all this stuff i have no clue) suzi posted it talkes about if it just moves across the surface or if it goes deep in water. salt water would make it worst i would imagine.

SuziQ

Banned
i dont think there is a set answer. im no lightning expert but i would imagine the strength varies tremendously. in the article (where sh get all this stuff i have no clue) suzi posted it talkes about if it just moves across the surface or if it goes deep in water. salt water would make it worst i would imagine.

[FONT=&quot]The question within the article was replied to by Mike Holt of Central Florida. He is a master electrician/instructor, widely respected on a National Level (also a six time national barefoot water-ski champion/with intent to win again next year @ age 61). He is one of the individuals I told you I would run your experience past, but you can find more specific info related to lightning upon the NOAA website if interested[/FONT]

Last edited:
Top Bottom