Lightweight hull manufacturers

crammit442

makin' legs
Waterdawg is doing prepreg hulls. I'm not an expert, but it seems like prepreg would be the lightest technology out there.

I agree. My only hesitation to include Jeff in this is that there have been SERIOUS delivery issues. The lightest hull in the world doesn't count if you can't put your hands on it.

Charles

Last edited:
F

Freestyleriverrat

IMO the best combo is a wetlaid bottom for durablity and a prepreg topdeck. Hull and hood should be right at 75lbs.

crammit442

makin' legs
I believe compositech is pre-preg carbon.

I don't know if it is made with a honeycomb core like Jeff's and Sergio's. Prepreg alone isn't anything special. The ability to use honeycomb is one of the key reasons to go prepreg.

Charles

Waterdawg Kustomz

RIP NATION
Charles,
Using honeycomb is not a very good idea on an infusion process. The honeycomb will fill with resin, therefore, making the part very heavy and weak. XFT hulls are most likely made using divynicell as a core material. Also, don't believe that a fifty pound hull is even close to strong and will last more than a season. I have built a couple of forty-eight pound hulls using prepreg, and they are definetaly a one season hull. I am confident that you can't build a lighter hull than that. Using prepreg cloth that is 4.3 oz and has a 38% resin content, with a layup schedule of 2-core-2, using 1/4" honeycomb, and two pound foam, and very light plumbling get's you to a forty-eight pound hull. A hull can not be built any lighter, can it? If so, I am very curious to know how. So the question is, are the advertised weights that the other manufacturer's are using for REAL? Mine are, I promise. Just my two cents.

Jeff

crammit442

makin' legs
Charles,
Using honeycomb is not a very good idea on an infusion process. The honeycomb will fill with resin, therefore, making the part very heavy and weak. XFT hulls are most likely made using divynicell as a core material. Also, don't believe that a fifty pound hull is even close to strong and will last more than a season. I have built a couple of forty-eight pound hulls using prepreg, and they are definetaly a one season hull. I am confident that you can't build a lighter hull than that. Using prepreg cloth that is 4.3 oz and has a 38% resin content, with a layup schedule of 2-core-2, using 1/4" honeycomb, and two pound foam, and very light plumbling get's you to a forty-eight pound hull. A hull can not be built any lighter, can it? If so, I am very curious to know how. So the question is, are the advertised weights that the other manufacturer's are using for REAL? Mine are, I promise. Just my two cents.

Jeff

There are skinned honeycombs now available for use w/infusion. You'd be dead on the money otherwise. Not positive, but I believe Sergio is using a 3 step process to avoid the cell filling you mention. Either way, a cored construction method is the way to go.:biggthumpup:

Charles

Waterdawg Kustomz

RIP NATION
No doubt, core is the key to light weight. I have heard that skinned cores don't allow for very good adhesion when infusing resin, making impact resistance very poor. It is a great process for automotive, etc when making parts that don't take a beating and are more for decorative purposes. In the prepreg process you actually use an adhesive film to bind the core very firmly. Even with this process core delamination can be an issue. I looked at doing some infusion before investing into setting up for prepreg because it was a lot cheaper, and I mean WWAAAYYY cheaper!!! lol But, I was talked out of it by a few people when they heard that I was building jet ski hulls. They highly recommended prepeg over infusion when wanting to use a honeycomb core. Believe me, I would have rather done infusion, as it would of saved ten of thousands of dollars. But I am happy with what we are doing and feel that it is the best way to build a light weight hull.

Jeff

F

Freestyleriverrat

I agree. My only hesitation to include Jeff in this is that there have been SERIOUS delivery issues. The lightest hull in the world doesn't count if you can't put your hands on it.

Charles

True, but the prices are very reasonable and he will set it up the way you want it. Plus it is not a SJ clone. You may wait for the hull but if you have the time WD is the way to go IMHO. Even Malones skis are like 18+ weeks out. 24/7 hood kits can be up to 6 month out. Just something to think about. :tomato: I know guys that have Wammer and WF hulls and they like them, but for some reason paying 5-6k for a lighter SJ has never appealed to me. I do like the carbon hull from Germany that has the removable sponsoons that you can fill up with water to change the weight on the front of the boat. That is pretty sweet. But I don't like the 12k price tag..........thats a tadd out of my reach

Last edited by a moderator:

cambo au

TRYING TO LEARN
why dont we get some prices on here it seems we have dealers and builders on this thread every one list there prices
maybe
flat water carbon with hood and nose = $
surf carbon with hood and nose= $
glass version = $
all with no pole or bracket or paint
obviously the individual will want to customise certain parts but this will give every one some idea of where they are at
just my 02

Malones 05WF boat was under 50lbs with hood, you would probably shiet your pants if you knew the exact weight..... Bobby at Trinity Composites built that.....Bobby said Malone hit bottom a few times in practice..... no sighns of damage. He should have his own hull out within 6 months to a year.

Last edited:
C

CG Racing

IMO the best combo is a wetlaid bottom for durablity and a prepreg topdeck. Hull and hood should be right at 75lbs.

Thats redicoulous. Hand laid is the most prehistoric of layup processes. Resin is weak, so the object here is to use the least amount of resin possible. I'm no expert, but I know the basics. I think Charles and Jeff would agree.

C

CG Racing

True, but the prices are very reasonable and he will set it up the way you want it. Plus it is not a SJ clone. You may wait for the hull but if you have the time WD is the way to go IMHO. Even Malones skis are like 18+ weeks out. 24/7 hood kits can be up to 6 month out. Just something to think about. :tomato: I know guys that have Wammer and WF hulls and they like them, but for some reason paying 5-6k for a lighter SJ has never appealed to me. I do like the carbon hull from Germany that has the removable sponsoons that you can fill up with water to change the weight on the front of the boat. That is pretty sweet. But I don't like the 12k price tag..........thats a tadd out of my reach

Sergio has a 45-60 day lead time and has been very accurate with that. You can also get a bolt on side sponson from XFT. As far as prices go, if you may be suprised at the reasonable prices that XFT offers, and I am also producing some incentives for purchases of over $5000. I will be set to recieve credit cards within the week, and I am also working on some financing options also.

Please PM me with your e-mail address and I will forward the 2006 XFT hull package price list.

F

Freestyleriverrat

Thats redicoulous. Hand laid is the most prehistoric of layup processes. Resin is weak, so the object here is to use the least amount of resin possible. I'm no expert, but I know the basics. I think Charles and Jeff would agree.

You can still vacume bag it and just by switching materials and layup process it will be stronger and light than stock. It adds weight to the hull but is still strong and durable. I say that it is the best way b/c I don't need a competition feather weight hull that may have long term durablity issues. I would rather have a boat that is light and can take a pounding for several seasons.

Sergio has a 45-60 day lead time and has been very accurate with that. You can also get a bolt on side sponson from XFT. As far as prices go, if you may be suprised at the reasonable prices that XFT offers, and I am also producing some incentives for purchases of over $5000. I will be set to recieve credit cards within the week, and I am also working on some financing options also.

Please PM me with your e-mail address and I will forward the 2006 XFT hull package price list.

Thanks for the offer but when I am ready to do a aftermarket hull I am going WD (shocker to eveyone I know :haha: ) Nothing against Sergio and XFT, I just don't want a superjet

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Are you saying wet layup is the strongest hull technique with best longevity out there? I don't follow.

C

CG Racing

Thanks for the offer but when I am ready to do a aftermarket hull I am going WD (shocker to eveyone I know :haha: ) Nothing against Sergio and XFT, I just don't want a superjet

That was a general offer, to everyone, I already knew which way you were going. My bad.:147:

Top Bottom