Lightweight hulls for freeride.

maef

Fly
From your experience, do the lightweight hulls work well on freeride or only for flatwater, backflips, etc?

Thanks!
Maef.

stanton

High on jetskis.
depends. in small or weak surf your going to want a lightweight hull so you can do tricks and get the air and rotation easier. also makes smaller surf more fun to surf ride.
in big and powerful surf the small and light hull will get tossed around alot easier making it very sketchy to even approach anything without perfect glass conditions.
its a give and take..

Light weight inbred , Weight and hull shape can keep the ski planted . I think hull shape is the main ingredient but I haven't charged massive surf on a ski yet but have shaped hundreds of windsurfers , surfboards and a few skis.

Flash-FX

No Square..No Round..FX-1
depends. in small or weak surf your going to want a lightweight hull so you can do tricks and get the air and rotation easier. also makes smaller surf more fun to surf ride.
in big and powerful surf the small and light hull will get tossed around alot easier making it very sketchy to even approach anything without perfect glass conditions.
its a give and take..

Exactly.... Great description.

One thing not mentioned yet is that when you land from "altitude", the lightweight hull will stop quick on the surface, then sink. Giving you more of a "impact" than a heavy hull that will just penetrate the water easier,especially when landing "flat".

Lighter boat= Much more fun in smaller surf...

I'm not a fan of light boats...but like Berky said much of that has to do with the shape. Any kind of decent/fun surf in the shoulder high or bigger range I will be quite happy on a stock hull. And the bigger it gets the happier I will be on a heavy hull...but the world is changing.

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Yes it is but just because everybody is doing something, doesn't mean it is the right thing to do. Bottom line, ride them all and buy what works best for you.

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
the lighter and stronger the hull, the better it is for me in freeride/flatwater/surf..

Hamad

I agree for my own ski/riding, but it does depend on your personal ride style, conditions, experience level, etc.

its a give and take..

Well said!

Exactly.... Great description.

One thing not mentioned yet is that when you land from "altitude", the lightweight hull will stop quick on the surface, then sink. Giving you more of a "impact" than a heavy hull that will just penetrate the water easier,especially when landing "flat".

Lighter boat= Much more fun in smaller surf...

I would agree in theory that one would think a lightweight hull would land harder. I was a little scared of impact first time out in the surf last year, it has been my experience, however, that my lightweight hull (superfreak) lands much easier with less impact than I stock ski. Hull shape/design may be a factor?

I'm not a fan of light boats...but like Berky said much of that has to do with the shape. Any kind of decent/fun surf in the shoulder high or bigger range I will be quite happy on a stock hull. And the bigger it gets the happier I will be on a heavy hull...but the world is changing.

The world is changing....Ross, you should come ride with us next time you are back in town! Berky has made changes to hull shape and pump area that make a lightweight hull handle much differently.

I also realize that what is ideal for daytona surf may not be ideal for west coast monsters.

wydopen

onthepipe
heavier the better imo...usually when my ski goes below half tank i come in to fuel it back up to get some more weight back in the nose..when your ski is too light it gets deflected by the lip when u are doing a reentry or going off the top...bottom line is the best wave riding thats ever been done and is being done currently is on superjets..nobody is even coming close to having their stock superjet hull hold them back...until u are riding your old ski to its full potential then i dont see why the average guy is spending 8gs on a hull that dosnt even work as good as the one they had..you can ride strait down the line before the wave is breaking on a 550...what really shows how a ski works is when u are hitting the lip when its overhead and hollow which unfortunately not many people are doing..

Last edited:

tightithrash

Zack Bright. I Thrash.
Site Supporter
heavier the better imo...usually when my ski goes below half tank i come in to fuel it back up to get some more weight back in the nose..when your ski is too light it gets deflected by the lip when u are doing a reentry or going off the top...bottom line is the best wave riding thats ever been done and is being done currently is on superjets..nobody is even coming close to having their stock superjet hull hold them back...until u are riding your old ski to its full potential then i dont see why the average guy is spending 8gs on a hull that dosnt even work as good as the one they had..you can ride strait down the line before the wave is breaking on a 550...what really shows how a ski works is when u are hitting the lip when its overhead and hollow which unfortunately not many people are doing..

have you not been paying attention to taylor? superjets are in there dieing years.

tightithrash

Zack Bright. I Thrash.
Site Supporter
did u even ride skis when taylor was riding pre 08 sj's??

and fyi im not referring to silly flips out the back

no i didnt ride skis. didnt know :):):):) about skis. but ive seen pry every pic and vid of thos times. sure hes slowed down speed a bit but his power in more critical areas of the face is insane. were you even at surfslam this year...?

silly flips are fun. cant wait til he does it back into the face.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
no i didnt ride skis. didnt know :):):):) about skis. but ive seen pry every pic and vid of thos times. sure hes slowed down speed a bit but his power in more critical areas of the face is insane. were you even at surfslam any year...?

silly flips are fun. cant wait til he does it back into the face.

Well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

Top Bottom