Lightweight hulls for freeride.

Frosty

New York Crew
heavier the better imo...usually when my ski goes below half tank i come in to fuel it back up to get some more weight back in the nose..when your ski is too light it gets deflected by the lip when u are doing a reentry or going off the top...bottom line is the best wave riding thats ever been done and is being done currently is on superjets..nobody is even coming close to having their stock superjet hull hold them back...until u are riding your old ski to its full potential then i dont see why the average guy is spending 8gs on a hull that dosnt even work as good as the one they had..you can ride strait down the line before the wave is breaking on a 550...what really shows how a ski works is when u are hitting the lip when its overhead and hollow which unfortunately not many people are doing..

Amen brotha! I've been preaching this for some time now. Maybe if I was purely a flat water rider I might think differently...

Exactly.... Great description.

One thing not mentioned yet is that when you land from "altitude", the lightweight hull will stop quick on the surface, then sink. Giving you more of a "impact" than a heavy hull that will just penetrate the water easier,especially when landing "flat".

Lighter boat= Much more fun in smaller surf...

so true... my superjet has way softer landings then my fx-1 used to.

R

ridethelip

#53 thinks he is a super light.

Last edited by a moderator:

AtomicPunk

Lifetime bans are AWESOME
Site Supporter
Light weight inbred , Weight and hull shape can keep the ski planted . I think hull shape is the main ingredient but I haven't charged massive surf on a ski yet but have shaped hundreds of windsurfers , surfboards and a few skis.

Tem, my wife really wants a paddleboard. Do you think you can knock one out before x-mas? LOL

stanton

High on jetskis.
I think the rickter fr hulls have an advantage for surf riding but really when you watch imo the style suffers. It has looked less aggressive to me. I want to see a ski just rip a wave to shreds and they kinda don't do that.
The way taylor rides his xfs in the surf is misleading, that boat is a handful!!

AtomicPunk

Lifetime bans are AWESOME
Site Supporter
not too shabby on the Rickter

TC_Daytona_2010lr.jpg

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
I have little to no experience with light hulls. Maybe a test ride on a friends. There are many things to like and/or dislike about them. Just my opinion, but I think it all comes down to whatever feels good to you and your style.
Sometimes it just comes down to what you are used to and comfortable with. I've tried a few, very expensive ski's that I could barely ride.

Tems new hull sounds VERY interesting though. Some who have ridden it say that it actually handles like a heavy ski.

Either way, it's important to keep trying new things. It's the only way to really know what works.

Watty

Random Performance
I've chased the lightweight hulls for years, owned some, and ridden a LOT of them. In my endless quest to get something that is truly an all round hull, I realized that the only thing wrong with the oem hull is the SMC bottom deck.

We need WEIGHT! To make a ski carve, you need weight! So, I guess you need to decide what you want to do with a particular ski, because there is not a single ski on the market at this stage that has everything. You either have light weight, which handles flat and offshore/smooth surf well (with the exception of carving) or a heavy hull that carves like all hell, but feels heavy as lead when you're trying to impress the ladies at your local lake.

Over the past five years, I've ridden a lot of aftermarket lightweight hulls, owned a few, and I am now back on my oem Superjet hull that I bought brand new back in 98 (been through 3 owners since!). I've had more fun in the last 6 months on this ski than what I have in the previous 5 years throwing money at the latest and greatest.

The bottom line is that I spent all this time trying to find something that I had from the start...a ski that's strong enough to take a beating, and handles any conditions I can throw it at. After reinforcing, my first ski, I swore I'd never do it again, so bought an XFT. Since then, I'd always admired the guys still rocking stock hulls. They were carving up anything they could get to, and I was bobbing and sliding over the top of waves, looking like a hack!

I think it's what you get used to, and sometimes you don't know what you're missing out on by not trying another hull, or putting at least 3 or 4 rides on it.

Watty nice collaborating all that bashing into SENSE. It all depends on your preferences because the end of the day its you braping that desired hull. Honestly i never have ridden gnarly surf you guys have in the US. Hopefully one day.. In Qatar(the middle east) we only have choppy surf. So back on TOPIC, i must say you guys know best about what hull characteristics are essential for surfriding.

Hamad

KR

www.krlines.com
I've chased the lightweight hulls for years, owned some, and ridden a LOT of them. In my endless quest to get something that is truly an all round hull, I realized that the only thing wrong with the oem hull is the SMC bottom deck.

We need WEIGHT! To make a ski carve, you need weight! So, I guess you need to decide what you want to do with a particular ski, because there is not a single ski on the market at this stage that has everything. You either have light weight, which handles flat and offshore/smooth surf well (with the exception of carving) or a heavy hull that carves like all hell, but feels heavy as lead when you're trying to impress the ladies at your local lake.

Over the past five years, I've ridden a lot of aftermarket lightweight hulls, owned a few, and I am now back on my oem Superjet hull that I bought brand new back in 98 (been through 3 owners since!). I've had more fun in the last 6 months on this ski than what I have in the previous 5 years throwing money at the latest and greatest.

The bottom line is that I spent all this time trying to find something that I had from the start...a ski that's strong enough to take a beating, and handles any conditions I can throw it at. After reinforcing, my first ski, I swore I'd never do it again, so bought an XFT. Since then, I'd always admired the guys still rocking stock hulls. They were carving up anything they could get to, and I was bobbing and sliding over the top of waves, looking like a hack!

I think it's what you get used to, and sometimes you don't know what you're missing out on by not trying another hull, or putting at least 3 or 4 rides on it.

Thats how I feel about my old FX1...

JUST KIDDING! Go superjet!

Top Bottom