Making of the SNX Hull

I use M105 and M205 on plugs and molds, and show car glaze on the finished parts. On the plugs I use a DA polisher and medium foam pad with 105 and a soft foam finishing pad with the 205. The molds are just hazy from the frekote, so those get hand polished with 105 and 205 using a shop cloth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ducky

Back in the game!
Took me a second to figure out what your auto correct just did there... I use M105 and M205 on plugs and molds, and show car glaze on the finished parts. On the plugs I use a DA polisher and medium foam pad with 105 and a soft foam finishing pad with the 205. The molds are just hazy from the frekote, so those get hand polished with 105 and 205 using a shop cloth.

Both are great products that I have had a lot of success with. If you ever run out and need something a little cheaper, try Meguiars Ultimate Compound. It corrects a little better than M205, and finishes almost as well.

I actually have some of that. I was using it before the 105/205. I was getting really good results with the ultimate too, but I couldn't achieve quite the finish that I was looking for. It did a great job cutting though. Thanks for the tip! Have you worked with any of the 3M perfect it products? I'm happy with the meguiars line, but I always like to see what else is out there.

Sometimes I get excited over the littlest things. This is one of them.

902ce77940986a8a05bbb97dbe778e48.jpg

I've gone through several pairs of the Clause scissors that are supposedly intended to cut carbon and kevlar. They work decent enough for 3K carbons and glass, but they are made very cheaply and have too much flex in the blades causing the fabric to bind between the blades on heavier carbons. This is especially noticeable once the blades dull slightly after a bit of use.

These new scissors are made by Thomas Wilkinson & Son. They are extremely sharp, have a Xylan non stick coating, and are made entirely of high carbon steel. I haven't had the chance to really test them out for an extended cutting session, but I did a couple quick tests and they cut through 2 layers of 20oz 12K uni carbon like butter.

Clause weighed in at 5.5oz
be342b91c95601147c9fcef17f459e27.jpg

Thomas Wilkinson & Son nearly 3 times heavier
b97f37b996a37b86117546f76f312413.jpg

Solid.

Never thought I would spend $75 on scissors, but for this kind of work a top of the line pair of scissors is priceless.

Last edited:

Ducky

Back in the game!
I actually have some of that. I was using it before the 105/205. I was getting really good results with the ultimate too, but I couldn't achieve quite the finish that I was looking for. It did a great job cutting though. Thanks for the tip! Have you worked with any of the 3M perfect it products? I'm happy with the meguiars line, but I always like to see what else is out there.

I havent used many, if any 3M products that I can recall. My favorite polishes/compounds are by Menzerna. The powerfinish and superfinish are outstanding!

Just read this whole thread. Amazing craftsmanship Nate! Can't wait to see the updates.

Thanks!

So the poles are in progress. Now on the third revision. This one was pretty minor. Had some difficulties getting the laminate under the aluminum plate to fully infuse. Even running Soric under the plate, still had some dry spots. We're now running two resin feeds and isolating the flow media over the plate, along with drilling 1/8" holes on 1/2" centers.

7e29a65e951b344b95ff5d8a1ca873f7.jpg

Fed the mainline and held the secondary until the resin front at the MTI reached the tongue, then switched feeds. A little bit complicated of an infusion, but it worked. Full wet out on this part.

Thanks Matt. Each plate adds about an hour to the layup. There is a significant amount of labor that goes into the poles to do them right. I need to work on setting up bladder molding and creating them in one shot instead of bonding halves. That would cut the time in half.

First pole is almost ready. Wet sanding and drilling a couple of holes tonight.

Last edited:
Can you show some pics of how you are bonding the two halves and finishing them.

The bit of composite work I've done is leaving me struggling to understand how you got the OD surface of a part to be that good. Is there a step I'm missing? Something special about these sleeves you speak of?

Top Bottom