Midshaft / Pump install ???

Should I install pump first and center up as best as possible for midshaft OR install midshaft first and then install pump... ???

I know either way I will need pump shims... Just trying to figure out that if I install pump first guessing eye wise that it will center up perfect with midshaft bolt alignments...

Also... I purchased 3M 5200 sealant to place on spacer for midshaft assembly... Seems like the best fit... water tight and permanent... this is what I want from the spacer... leak tight PERIOD... !!!

I have heard it can be done both ways...

Any suggestions... ???

Fro Diesel

creative control
Lots of threads on this in tech faq. Proper alignment is essential. Get to cold fusion pump alignment tool. Worth its weight in gold. You instsll the tool where the midshaft goes, mount the front two pump bolts and shim the rear only usually.

BrightE's

Paul
Use a mid shaft housing with no shaft in it or buy the Cold Fusion alignment tool. Mount the thing, ski upside down, strap the pump down, strap it forward, with the pump seal in there. Hammer it with a rubber mallet to get it to be where it needs to be. Shim as needed. You want the shaft to be completely centered in the midshaft housing or CF tool hole. Depending on what ski you have, drill and bolt down as necessary.

rValL5p.jpg

Sent from my VS980 4G

^^^^I think that's a SF only thing there lol. Never had to strap stuff up. OP- What these dudes said and there are some longer threads full of info like fro diesel said, just do a search. Good luck and have fun

Yoooo strapping down..... where you going... ???

I watched the Bob hull pump install on Youtube... Great demo / great info

Simply asking for the best way.... I build homes from the trees to the keys... I am not a dumb ass... Licensed GC in NC / SC / FL.... What's the best way is my question... ???

Well since ya put it that way. When shimming/centering drive shaft you are doing so to the mid shaft right? So put the mid shaft bearing in and then center driveshaft. Or if you have the CF tool like mentioned use it in place of the bearing. As far as shims, aren't always needed, my last hull and 2 of my friends last builds didn't use any either. I don't think there is a "best" way, just a few different ways that people prefer.

Last edited:

rubbertoe

X-H20 certified
I think Carl from Cold Fusion just came out with a jig to help you get your driveshaft all centered up nicely also helps with checking if your driveshaft if shimmed correctly ,if your interested .setting this step of a build up as close perfect as you can get things really helps save headaches down the line ,especially when you really start to let er rip. Google :
Cold-Fusion Drive Line Alignment Tool for Yamaha Style Pump and Mid-Shaft Assy.

Get it straight!!

I think Carl from Cold Fusion just came out with a jig to help you get your driveshaft all centered up nicely also helps with checking if your driveshaft if shimmed correctly ,if your interested .setting this step of a build up as close perfect as you can get things really helps save headaches down the line ,especially when you really start to let er rip. Google :
Cold-Fusion Drive Line Alignment Tool for Yamaha Style Pump and Mid-Shaft Assy.

Get it straight!!
Post #2?

rubbertoe

X-H20 certified
Didn't even read the posts in this thread i tend to do this when im not combing things for knowledge just browsing for pleasure , i guess i got caught up in the pictures of the straps and 2x4 .very egyptian like .also think the method shown is somewhat en-genius to help compress a stubborn pump gasket if needed rather than just grinding or oblonging the mounting hole .

Make sure the shaft tunnel is clean, they tend to hold sand, it will get on the splines and ruin the mid shaft.

Top Bottom