Mixing Gas

This is not terribly important but I figured I would ask and see what others have experienced. How much do you need to shake your fuel when mixing? I have 5gal race jugs and use a ratio rite cup, fill the jugs then oil gets poured into the jug. A few quick shakes okay? Jerk it for an hour? The reason I am asking is because last time I mixed up gas after riding for the day, I only shook the jug a few quick shakes and refilled my ski. Then got to thinking, I hope that was mixed enough and I didn’t just pour the unmixed gas out of the top of the container… what’s your opinion?

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
What I usually do is pour the oil in the ratio rite , then fill the rest of the ratio rite with gas then pour it in the fuel jug and put it in the ski I feel at that point its mixed enough especially if you are going somewhere to ride , if you are refilling at the ride spot maybe shake it up a bit before you pour it in the ski..

Fill oil first then fill gas, at that point I've never bothered to shake any more although just handling the jug will have additional mixing affect.

If I'm adding oil to gas I'll give it a couple shakes. I've watched colored oil in clear jugs and if you have a full jug of gas and add oil, very carefully, you can see the color gradient of the oil not fully mixed. Grab it and slosh it twice and it is fully the same color (not to say that is a guarantee of thorough mixing, but seems like it's a pretty good indication).

I guess it does make more sense to pour the oil into the jug before putting the gas in it. And yes, I pour a little gas in the ratio rite cup to get the last of the oil out of the cup, then pour that back into the jug.

Just my opinion, but Quick2Mix > RatioRite

On trips where long distances are covered - We'll top the ski off directly from the pump and then pour in the appropriate amount of premix into the filler neck and let it mix on the way to the water!

I use Klotz which seems to take a little longer to mix and is easy to see since it is red. I used to dump the oil in the jug first then add gas. I noticed that the oil seemed to almost stick to the bottom of the jug.
Since then I put about a gallon in the jug then add oil and slosh it around. It is easy since it is only a gallon in a 5 gallon jug and it seems to disperse quickly. I then continue to fill the jug all the way. Give it a few more sloshes before dumping it into the ski. There is no red oil residue inside the white jug when empty so it seems to mix very well this way.

Get a clear plastic gallon jug full of the gas you use. Then pour whatever oil you use into that and see how it mixes.
Most oil will sit at the bottom until the jug is slightly agitated. Pouring the oil in before the gas will usually mix very well without agitation. If the mix is crystal clear it’s good. Cloudy mix will separate quickly. Oil mixing was an issue with castor and some types of gasoline and with methanol when high amounts of nitromethane were added.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
I do that too lol.

I use a cheap container from wal Mart that has graduations and is sealable so it makes less of a mess.
Yep I use the cheap Walmart containers also , the nice part about it is you can carry extra oil with you already measured out .

E350

Site Supporter
I use a graduated "5 gallon" bucket, then fill it up with gasoline to 2 1/2 gallons, then pour in approx. one-half of the oil I put in the graduated quart container (Eric Burton suggested we run a 40:1 gas/oil mixture for best engine longevity, so that is 16 oz to 5 gal or 8 oz to 2 1/2 gal).

Then pour that 2 1/2 gal into a HiPoint Racing screened funnel into the Scribner Plastics 5 gal gas container.

Then repeat for the next 2 1/2 gal to fill up the Scribner.

IMG_0680.jpgIMG_0683.jpg

Last edited:

holygoat

Site Supporter
I use a graduated "5 gallon" bucket, then fill it up with gasoline to 2 1/2 gallons, then pour in approx. one-half of the oil I put in the graduated quart container (Eric Burton suggested we run a 40:1 gas/oil mixture for best engine longevity, so that is 16 oz to 5 gal or 8 oz to 2 1/2 gal).

Then pour that 2 1/2 gal into a HiPoint Racing screened funnel into the Scribner Plastics 5 gal gas container.

Then repeat for the next 2 1/2 gal to fill up the Scribner.

View attachment 448927View attachment 448928

This seems like a helluva lot of work to mix two very soluble fluids.

Top Bottom