Mixing Gas

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
I rev it 5 or six times when I pull it out, then when I get home I do it again, I have never had any internal rust issues on my skis and with the humidity level here uncoated steel rusts in a matter of minutes.

WFO Speedracer

I started putting them away with the spark plugs out after I fog em. Give the moisture somewhere to go.
I have seen people use these before, none of my cheap a$$ customers of course , engine storage moisture indicators , it looks like these unscrew so you can replace the Dessicant in them, seems like a really good idea to me.

Last edited:

Myself

manic mechanic
I turn mine to reserve and fire it up. Then I wrap a rubber band around the throttle pinning it to the bars. Then I go ahead and drive home and shut it back off after I get home. Plenty hot and dry to avoid engine damage.

I turn mine to reserve and fire it up. Then I wrap a rubber band around the throttle pinning it to the bars. Then I go ahead and drive home and shut it back off after I get home. Plenty hot and dry to avoid engine damage.
A guy up in the mountains here had his start near his house and drove up to a lake about 20 minutes away with it idling on the hauler. Cylinder was a different color once he got to the lake. I can guarantee you it was dry though - so that is a good method from what I've observed!

You can get away with that for 1- 2 minutes and it’s actually beneficial. Everyone else will look confused. They are the ones that end up selling their rusty crap here.

WFO Speedracer

You can get away with that for 1- 2 minutes and it’s actually beneficial. Everyone else will look confused. They are the ones that end up selling their rusty crap here.
Yes I probably run them that long when winterizing them , it's kinda temperature dependent though the colder the temp the longer you can run it with no water.

Myself

manic mechanic
Yes I probably run them that long when winterizing them , it's kinda temperature dependent though the colder the temp the longer you can run it with no water.
Ya, I just go by feel. If I can still hold my hand on the head and cylinders on a 2 stroke, it's OK to run. Exhaust manifold on the 4 strokes.

At the end of the Day, there will always be Water left in the Waterbox.

Purging is mainly to eliminate Water that may back flow into the Exhaust Ports.

The Humidty or Water Vapor condensing around the Engine Internals, once the Engine cools, will not cause Rust to form due to the Oil Film in the short term (months).

Doesn't the Cylinder still hold Cooling Water inside the Block Cooling Passages?

WFO Speedracer

If I leave my jetskis outside in the summer they get too hot to put my hand on the engine without even running them.
When I worked at the stealership a JS300B1 came in that was having running issues , my buddy that worked there busted it off and it went wide open, full on closed throttle runaway , he had already pulled the plug wire off to no avail , he came running in the shop asking me what do we do , I said follow me , the ski was right outside the shop door, I went to the shop door and closed it , he asked aren't you going to try to shut it down, nope I said we are about to find out what's wrong with this one , lets go grab a drink out of the drink machine , it will shut itself off eventually.

It was probably the biggest warranty claim I ever filed there , the cases were stepped at the base gasket causing a huge air leak, the machine got new cases, a new crankshaft, cylinder, piston, head , a starter and a new stator , the paperwork was about three pages long. ,the ski did last about 7 or 8 minutes before it exploded though.

At wavedaze a few years ago, some dudes had a jammer with the 500 engine in it. They decided to zip tie the throttle wide open and see how long iy would run before it grenaded it melted down. Sucker ran for 15 min wide open out of the water before it shut down. After about 11 minutes it started pinging and clanking a bit. But still going..

Top Bottom