Mixing Gas

Myself

manic mechanic
Ever since I was a kid riding dirtbikes.......I've NEVER shaken up my 2 stroke mixed fuel. Put the gas in, ratio rite (or similar) the correct amount of 2 stroke oil, go ride. That's all I've EVER done! Just used my Stihl saw about a week ago......filled it with gas, poured in a capfull of 2 stroke oil, started it up and went to cutting.

I would have never thought about it but it did cost be a waterbox on my SN. I put 4 gal in the empty tank then a pint of tcw3. Started it, let it warm up and blew the box revving it up. I looked at the tank and only the bottom half was blue. It had an extreme oil mix going into the engine. I became more interested in mixing after that.

I can remember at a dirt bike race watching a guy add red oil to a clear 5 gallon gas can, and from where I was standing I could see the change in color very clearly fading from clear to red. Then he picked up the can and flipped it over to pour gas in the bike, and that was enough that the gas all looked the same color. My take away was that you do indeed need to shake it a little, but it doesn't take much.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
I would have never thought about it but it did cost be a waterbox on my SN. I put 4 gal in the empty tank then a pint of tcw3. Started it, let it warm up and blew the box revving it up. I looked at the tank and only the bottom half was blue. It had an extreme oil mix going into the engine. I became more interested in mixing after that.
I have to ask this ,or at least someone does , exactly how did running more oil make the water box blow up ?

E350

Site Supporter
Ever since I was a kid riding dirtbikes.......I've NEVER shaken up my 2 stroke mixed fuel. Put the gas in, ratio rite (or similar) the correct amount of 2 stroke oil, go ride. That's all I've EVER done! Just used my Stihl saw about a week ago......filled it with gas, poured in a capfull of 2 stroke oil, started it up and went to cutting.

That is chain saw abuse. Love you brother, but don't do it that way.

I have to ask this ,or at least someone does , exactly how did running more oil make the water box blow up ?
The fuel air mix is normally too rich at the rev limit to blow a box. Quadrupling the oil in the gas makes it leaner. Ive had this ski since 1993 and that was the only time it ever after fired. My X2 will do it some when held against the rev limit but not very bad.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
I am not sure I should continue but it's never stopped me before, you are holding the skis to the rev limit why exactly ?

Myself

manic mechanic
That is chain saw abuse. Love you brother, but don't do it that way.
BAH......I've never had a saw, or weed eater, or jet ski blow up on me. Just watch the fuel...THE INSTANT you put oil in that tank, the whole thing colors up and you're ready to rock! And you NEVER fire something up the very next second.....you drive to the launch, or pick up the saw and pull the cord a few times meanwhile sloshing (mixing) it all up.....................No WORRIES!!!

I am not sure I should continue but it's never stopped me before, you are holding the skis to the rev limit why exactly ?
I would never hold a cold engine full throttle out of the water because of the high possibility of after fire and blowing the box. All my yamahas run 7000-7200 and their rev limiters are around 7400-7500. My stock big pin 750s are a little higher. Here is something very few understand, an engine takes much longer to get hot when it’s full throttle bouncing of the limiter. I can do much more thorough water clearing before it gets too hot. Most riders never clear enough water, that’s why most old engines are rust buckets.

When you say clear water , do you mean starting the ski again after it is out of the lake to flush the water out? I always thought that it was to prevent hydrolock.

When you say clear water , do you mean starting the ski again after it is out of the lake to flush the water out? I always thought that it was to prevent hydrolock.
I mean getting all the water out of the exhaust and getting the head near boiling temp before I take the ski home. Over time most engines are ruined by putting them away wet.

I mean getting all the water out of the exhaust and getting the head near boiling temp before I take the ski home. Over time most engines are ruined by putting them away wet.
Getting slightly off topic here but I'll bite since I don't see this topic discussed in detail often...

What is your overall strategy here? When I pull the ski out of a freshwater lake I usually just blip the throttle 3-5 times from idle to full throttle to get the water out of the exhaust. My goal is usually just keep doing that until there is not a discernable amount of water coming out of the rear exhaust and then give it one final WOT bouncing off the rev limiter for a second or two and kill the engine.

Is my ski going to die?

You want to remove as much water as possible. Do a second run when you get home and see how much additional water appears. I think doing a second run will help a lot over time.

Top Bottom