msd failing?

So I was out ridding today and suddenly my ski wouldnt rev out I had the throttle pulled the whole way in and I was barely on plane.. I checked all the fuel lines plugs etc. etc. and could not find a fault. I am guessing that my MSD is either buggered or there is a loose connection. I will pull it apart tomorrow and have alook.

Any one had any similar problems with an msd (my msd is only 4 months old)

D-Roc

I forgot!
got an extra you can swap in to test? when my msd went bad it would start and idle but it would not increase the spark for rpms. i would try to rev it up and it would build a few hundred rpms then start to backfire as i added more fuel/air from the throttle. swapped in a new one and it was fine. your is still under warranty, but try swaping it before you send it away to make sure its not a fuel delivery problem or your stator.

The weird thing is that it will rev fine when it is on the trailer but it inthe water it will go good for a couple of mins then turn to shiat. I have a stock cdi i can replace it with

#ZERO

Beach Bum
Be sure that your spark plug ends are in good shape and you might want to check the resistance readings of your stator pulser & charging coils and ignition coil.

On further inspection of the ski it seems like the back sparkplug is not getting fuel / oil to it as the spark plug still looks whiteish while the sparkplug on the front cylinder looks black and oily..

Anyone got any suggestions

D-Roc

I forgot!
could be a headgasket or oring if it runs good on the trailer but not in the water. water intrustion will clean a plug and or cause it to not fire.

Last edited:
I dropped the ski into our local mechanic and he is going to sort it out, I will keep you posted on what the problem is.

parrdaddy

No he will not!
I have found MSD problems to be caused by a broken trigger pickup wire several times. Ohm it out and/or pull off the flywheel and have a look at the wire where it goes into the short solid wire loom between the front and back sides of the stator plate.

Top Bottom