Msd Sucks

ahhhh.... the ole spark-when-ya-let-go-of-the-green-button syndrome.

ive seen it happen only on msd enhancers. probably about 2 or 3 in the last year in fact. i dont think its your starter as ive had fired up engines that were barely able to make the last revolution while cranking then fired up with a roar with an msd enhancer.

the enhancer on my new ski (was in my square) decided to take on a new role.... now, when i crank the starter, it sounds like my batterey is bad.. is if it has not a lot of strength... but the cranking is intermittant. as soon as i remove the boots from the plugs, it cranks over nice and hard. im not removing the plugs, just the boots, and it cranks normal.

anyone ever heard of this?

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Lee: Sorry, I didn't realize you had been using the Jumper.

I agree, MSD sucks for support. I think I might tinker with coming up with my own Total Loss brain - a direct replacement for the MSD unit.

T-bone

brraap....thats so 2002
sflsurfrider said:
ahhhh.... the ole spark-when-ya-let-go-of-the-green-button syndrome.

ive seen it happen only on msd enhancers. probably about 2 or 3 in the last year in fact. i dont think its your starter as ive had fired up engines that were barely able to make the last revolution while cranking then fired up with a roar with an msd enhancer.

the enhancer on my new ski (was in my square) decided to take on a new role.... now, when i crank the starter, it sounds like my batterey is bad.. is if it has not a lot of strength... but the cranking is intermittant. as soon as i remove the boots from the plugs, it cranks over nice and hard. im not removing the plugs, just the boots, and it cranks normal.

had that happen on my blaster with an OEM cdi, blew the water box to pieces.

T-bone said:
had that happen on my blaster with an OEM cdi, blew the water box to pieces.

its misfired a few times, but not bad enough to blow up the waterbox. i do cringe when i push the start button though. i should just change it..... but it works great once it starts!:banghead:

SUPERJET-113

GASKETS FOR CHAMP BRAP!
Site Supporter
sflsurfrider said:
as soon as i remove the boots from the plugs, it cranks over nice and hard. im not removing the plugs, just the boots, and it cranks normal.

SFL, you should ground out the plugwires while turning the motor over. This is the proper way to relieve the heat that builds up in the coil. With each revolution of the flywheel around the stator, the ignition sends a signal (load) to the coil. This, if not relieved, overheats the coil, and if done enough, will fry the coil. Just insert a sparkplug into the plugcaps and ground them to the motor while cranking the motor over for testing or doing a compression test of the cylinders.

Possibility...

These MSD Enhancers are of a lower resistance (capacitance) and are more sensitive to electrical bugs, thus will appear to be bad. Maybe the stock CDI's are not as sensitive and can handle the odd variables your setup currently has.

A similar issue happens with race motors (cars) when different coils will require a certain (sand filled) ballast resistor or else! I recently needed to change some ignition components in my Chevelle because the of what turned out to be a ground loop. A ground loop issue can fool the best of us.

SUPERJET-113 said:
SFL, you should ground out the plugwires while turning the motor over. This is the proper way to relieve the heat that builds up in the coil. With each revolution of the flywheel around the stator, the ignition sends a signal (load) to the coil. This, if not relieved, overheats the coil, and if done enough, will fry the coil. Just insert a sparkplug into the plugcaps and ground them to the motor while cranking the motor over for testing or doing a compression test of the cylinders.

well, yeah... i always ground the plug wires. thats not whats making my enhancer get all squirrely when the boots are actually on the plugs while im cranking though.

godocgo

sport
it appears we as a group have done more test with msd products than they have

if i was not such a cheap f-er, i would just call wax and get his unit.

good thing it is a just play boat. i am taking the cylinder off tonight or tomorrow and gonna let tj freestyle port it. the boat feels sluggish anyway.

by the way i am pretty sure i sold my sxr, anybody got a cheap roundnose available.

godocgo said:
the point is i sent it to msd with full info on the problem. they sent it back 3 weeks later saying it was fine. when tj called them back to ask how it was good to go. they said they don't have away to test my problem. they only have a bench and electric meters. they don't even have access to a boat or motor to test with.

point is then why does it take 3 weeks to get it back and why bother having me send it in at all in the first place.

has anyone ever experienced this type problem before, not from msd (company) but from the enhancer.

i have pretty much had it with this 10 hr. old motor. i am probably going to pull the motor and have the cylinder ported. then i will put it back together with a new stator and starter and start all over again.

i keeping thinking that somethin in my electrical is bad, but we can't find it.

Correct. This is the point for sure...

I think they also changed the wires a couple years ago.

Try it.

Gera

godocgo said:
it appears we as a group have done more test with msd products than they have

if i was not such a cheap f-er, i would just call wax and get his unit.

good thing it is a just play boat. i am taking the cylinder off tonight or tomorrow and gonna let tj freestyle port it. the boat feels sluggish anyway.

by the way i am pretty sure i sold my sxr, anybody got a cheap roundnose available.

right along with an inexpensive lamey..:biggrin:

talk to jamnjetski.....:bigeyes: :sneaky: :rolleyes: :biggthumpup:

Last edited:

godocgo

sport
nah some crap about the cost of materials going up, especially the sleeves.

i am still waiting for my new one. i am going to run it this time with kawi flattops. cheaper and more reliable.

godocgo

sport
that was not the problem, it ended up being the starter was draining to much juice i think.. once i replaced the starter it let the cdi spark again. we will see, the maiden voyage of this boat will be at myrtle beach, that is if the surf is going. otherwise i will race the ss boat.

Top Bottom