My day at the beach

slicker, glad you guys are okay and only cosmetic damage happened to your ride.

i will agree that scuppers are "not so much" for the surf. while i have an xmetal scupper on my SJ (and the new rubber is da shizzy) thats great for flatwater, i still block the 2" pipe, at the bulkhead, with a rubber plug for the surf. i would never completely remove the scupper setup.

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
My .02, bet you run a Xmetal pole, when upside down the stock pole will help flip your ski over since it has foam in it. Glad to here things worked out on a good note.

WAB

salty nuts
Glad everybody's ok! that's a situation I don't ever wanna be in. I get freaked anytime I'm seperated from the ski in surf.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
My .02, bet you run a Xmetal pole, when upside down the stock pole will help flip your ski over since it has foam in it. Glad to here things worked out on a good note.

Know of ANY aftermarket pole that wouldn't be affected by this? :clown:

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
that sux. I've been saying for years that scuppers sink ski's, I'll never have one. My second method of getting out water is a second bilge pump.

I watched nicks ski sink in a matter of seconds upside down at daytona. luckly the water wasn't deep and we pulled it in pretty easily.

Last edited:

vitaly

Анархия - мать порядка!
....There is a difference in how you set up lake ski's and surf ski's.......
If it's meant to sink, it's gonna sink.
Make sure you have your GPS, fishfinder, and diving gear ready at all times.
If you need more info, please contact Skywalker. He can make a career out of this. :biggthumpup:

Superjet3

Waterlogged
Paul, I thought the same thing, but the scupper "Burped", letting air out and water in........

There is a difference in how you set up lake ski's and surf ski's.......

Yeah, but if the hoses are above the water line when flipped over water is not going to come in. It will only go as high as the water around the ski. Also, the x-metal pole breathers could have helped as I dont thing they go down in the bilge far enough. Yes, I also see how if the scupper wasn't there the air could not escape. Now some one needs to come up with a scupper and or checkvalve that seals tight when inverted.

I have been sporting a spring on my scupper for about a year. It's been flipped over for as much as 30 sec. without any problems. It's not perfect it just slows down the trouble. That being said when I do it all over again some day I will pass on the scupper it's just not worth it for me. Not having a lanyard when your ski flips over really sucks some water in too. I think everyone I ride with sunk their ski for one reason or another, we just tow them in, drain them and get back to it.

Attachments

• DSCF4189.jpg
    DSCF4189.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

vitaly

Анархия - мать порядка!
I have been sporting a spring on my scupper for about a year, Its bin flipped over for as much as 30 sec. with out any problems.
I've looked at the picture for more than 30 seconds. Still can't figure out how it works (must be my laptop). Any details? The spring looks somewhat rusted, LOL...
Anyway, this is my take on the subject, run the scupper and plug it with a Champaign cork when you hit surf. Don't forget to turn your bilge pumps on.

I've looked at the picture for more than 30 seconds. Still can't figure out how it works (must be my laptop). Any details? The spring looks somewhat rusted, LOL...
Anyway, this is my take on the subject, run the scupper and plug it with a Champaign cork when you hit surf. Don't forget to turn your bilge pumps on.

The spring is being held by the top right screw that holds the flap. The spring was bent with a loop at the end. I need to find a stainless spring, crc corrosion inhabiter helped for a while.

butti

lone wolf
my ski wont float upside down,it always rights itself.and if i had to bet i would say a stocker wont stay upside down either because the pole is filled with floatation.i run a block of foam in my hood between the liner and shell just for this reason.i stuffed a swim noodle into my wammer hood when i had it to help with this also.not a bad idea on a pole ski anyways just incase the hood and ski get separated the hood will float

anyways if you can make the ski right itself then you dont have to worry about your scupper

Last edited:
Top Bottom