Need riding tip on foot stance

whats up guys, ive been riding my 00' superjet for about a month now. I generally ride in surf stance, left foot all the way up front, back foot all the way back. When I hit a wave, the ski gets very vertical and i come down pretty soft, huge splash, etc. Also its easy to do slides in this position. Lately ive been watching vids of people getting big air and i see that they all ride with a rear side by side stance. So i tried this out yesterday and notice that its rather uncomfortable and unstable when Im cruising. I feel like im leaning forward, im also 6'1" 200lbs. I have a hard time balancing like this when I try to make a turn. I moved up in the tray about 1/2 way and i feel much more comfortable. I also noticed that I can "bunny hop" by putting pressure on the outside of the tray and jumping with it. So I tried jumping a wave and it feels more stable when landing and I feel like Im getting higher BUT I notice the landings are getting a lot more "flat" as opposed to vertical in the surf stance position. So my question is, what am I doing wrong? I know vertical landings are preferred.
Thanks gents

Do you have footholds? Footholds in the tray will make a big difference for comfort when it comes to riding surf style. As far as landing: with the footholds you will be able to level out your ski more and jumping and bunny hopping is easier. But i ride left foot forward and one in a hold most of the time. if I'm hitting wake or just dinking around i will ride surf, really just all depends on my mood. But if you come out riding with us soon, and you don't have holds we have a few different ski's with them so you can see if you like it.

icecoled007

Captain of this ship
I used to always ride one foot forward, one foot back.

I feel like with more experience/throttle control it gets easier to ride with both feet back. Foothold make a huge difference.

Do you have footholds? Footholds in the tray will make a big difference for comfort when it comes to riding surf style. As far as landing: with the footholds you will be able to level out your ski more and jumping and bunny hopping is easier. But i ride left foot forward and one in a hold most of the time. if I'm hitting wake or just dinking around i will ride surf, really just all depends on my mood. But if you come out riding with us soon, and you don't have holds we have a few different ski's with them so you can see if you like it.
Nope Im all stock! I was going to start with foot straps since its something Im capable of doing on my own

I talked to a guy I ride with the other day and he was almost religous about riding surf stance. It had been a long time since I had ridden surf stance so
I went out and rode around for awhile and it was fun but I have really got used to riding in the footholds.

One thing for me riding in the footholds means is that you dont have frontside or backside.

N3vrSat1sfied

Military Member
surf stance when I am carving and riding around.

Holds for nose stabs, rolls.. ( i know some people do stabs in surf stance).

its really up to you, but riding in the holds takes some getting use to.

I've a question, do you have stock lenght pole or short pole ? It make a very big difference
I do my tricks with my 2 feet in footholds and this year I have tried barrel rolls in surf stance position (bc I love californian ride style). Ross say me reception was smoother in surf stance position, I've felt the same thing.
I ride with left foot forward but I roll to the left with right foot forward, what a mess !!!! lol

stanton

High on jetskis.
to me footholds are gay and always will be. they are the #1 cause of style free riding, with backflip hulls coming in at a close second. lol

ride with how your comfortable and keep riding!

coming from a surfing background i only ride surf stance. it all depends if you only want to jump wave and not surf waves or if you want to do both. i feel surf stance is the best all around stance and it makes flips rolls and nose stabs look so much better.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
surf stance all the way. My rolls look way better surf stance and I don't over rotate them. And like tipafew said, it is way easier on your body landing big rolls in surf stance. There is a lot more room for your knees to "give" and absorb the impact. I am using a pancake pete front foothold up front.

If I do them with both feet in the rear holds in surf, I will end up doing 1 1/4-1 1/2's all day.

Last edited:

Speleopower

got a Superjet
I would steer away from using footstraps. Your more limited in your foot position in them. A set of foot holds in the rear and a Pancake Pete style front foot hold is the way to go for riding in the surf.
Installing footwells isn't very difficult. Get with some of the folks down your way and check thier skis out and I"m sure you will figure out what you like and I'm sure someone down there will be glad to help you with doing whatever mods to your ski you want. A shortened handlepole is 100% recommended. I had a heck of a time riding until I shortened my handlepole.
-Scott

wydopen

onthepipe
I would steer away from using footstraps. Your more limited in your foot position in them. A set of foot holds in the rear and a Pancake Pete style front foot hold is the way to go for riding in the surf.
Installing footwells isn't very difficult. Get with some of the folks down your way and check thier skis out and I"m sure you will figure out what you like and I'm sure someone down there will be glad to help you with doing whatever mods to your ski you want. A shortened handlepole is 100% recommended. I had a heck of a time riding until I shortened my handlepole.
-Scott

once you learn to ride with your feet in one position it takes away one of the variables of how your ski handles...once you ride with them it is very easy to pull a foot out and put it somehwere else in the tray for a second while recovering from something...you have wayy more control of your ski with straps..

Top Bottom