Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Yay!

Can't wait to try it, but I need to get my crank rebuilt first. :(

651050103_x3LBg-XL.jpg

#ZERO

Beach Bum
I don't know if FLAME is such a good name for a ignition box.

I just went on their web site and this thing is $1200 plus shipping. :crazy:

What's the advantage over an MSD TL setup besides it mounting inside the e-box?

Matt_E

Site Supporter
I paid 2/3 of that. ;)
I bought it entirely because it seals in the stock ebox.

My crank: the front big end rod bearing let go. Fortunately, only a couple of the pieces came out. As a result, I have to do only a bore & pistons and a crank rebuild.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
I don't know. It had plenty of oil.
I bought the crank as rebuilt OEM with 4 hours runtime. Who knows.
I'll get it rebuilt by Jetworks/Crankworks.
Bore is going up to 85mm (772cc), porting is getting updated to account for higher compression, 50/50 avgas, and total loss. :woot:

Watty

Random Performance
Hi Matt....glad you got it, I was just going to send you a message to make sure!

Installation time will be about 20 minutes!

Polish jet pilot

4aces4aces4aces4aces4aces
I don't know if FLAME is such a good name for a ignition box.

I just went on their web site and this thing is $1200 plus shipping. :crazy:

What's the advantage over an MSD TL setup besides it mounting inside the e-box?

Probably the ability to program your own timing curves with a laptop??

Probably the ability to program your own timing curves with a laptop??

Can you monitor timing "realtime" via the laptop? Like with engine running? The advent t4 does not, and it can be a pita to verify the curve when it's not working right. Which seems like most of the time.
Also, what about adjusting timing below 4000 rpm? That would also be an advantage over the MSD TL's.
Overall the "flame" looks like a pretty neat set-up. Installing in the e-box is really cool.

ger87410

How did I get here?
Can you monitor timing "realtime" via the laptop? Like with engine running? The advent t4 does not, and it can be a pita to verify the curve when it's not working right. Which seems like most of the time.
Also, what about adjusting timing below 4000 rpm? That would also be an advantage over the MSD TL's.
Overall the "flame" looks like a pretty neat set-up. Installing in the e-box is really cool.

Done on cars with computers all the time.

I think an OBD-II unit will tell you that.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Matt when do you think youll be back on the water? i would like to see how it runs with the new ignition.

Don't know yet. I just got the crank out of the motor last night.
I need to box crank & cylinder up and send it out.

QJS

X-

No you can't monitor the timing with the engine running, not sure why you would do that, you can see what timing you have put in on the computer and that is what you get, I've never known one alter or loose whats been put in.
Yes you can adjust the timing curve below 4000 rpm you would'nt want it ticking over @ 30 degrees advance, the only place you cannot alter is below 500 rpm, this is pre determined for starting.
Chris.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Chris, I have some question for you. (Emailed you, too)
What baud rate does the brain use to connect via Hyperterminal?
To set static timing, do I just find TDC, and then use a degree wheel to set it to 50 DBTDC?

GIL

Power In The Hands Of Few
Chris, I have some question for you. (Emailed you, too)
What baud rate does the brain use to connect via Hyperterminal?
To set static timing, do I just find TDC, and then use a degree wheel to set it to 50 DBTDC?

Did u say 50*static??? holy chit. And if Charles finds out I am at 35* he will chew me out. F it-if yo azz is gonna be at 50, he can't say chit bout my 35. lol

Sorry to hear about the crank failure-that sux!

Matt_E

Site Supporter
It doesn't run at 50 degrees. You have to set it to 50 static so that the brain box can work properly. My max timing, per Jetworks, will be 30 degrees.

Top Bottom