2017 SXR or Superjet

• Total voters
Looks through the topics and decided to post here. By the way, I was recommended to this forum so... Sup fam!

Just moved to Dunedin, FL from SC. Have a sport bike and riding here is flat out boring. Looking to trade in the bike towards a 2017 SXR or 2017 Superjet. Growing up hooning on dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and everything in between has my sights set on the Superjet as I eventually want to freestyle. I will start out learning and riding at Honeymoon Island. Will I need a racing license to purchase the Superjet.. Will I need a bilge pump for the Superjet? The SXR has drain plugs and all the stuffs but it seems way too long and heavy to do anything besides carve buoys and race. Insurance? Mods? Things I must know? Etc. Leaning towards the Superjet and a galvanized trailer as I plan to take fantastic care of whatever I buy.

This is new to me so I'm hoping to start a conversation as a newbie and gain some insight from you pros.

Thanks people.

chixwithtrix

Addicted
Welcome! First - if you have never ridden a stand up check out my how-to article & video that was posted a few days ago ;)
https://watercraftjournal.com/back-to-basics-how-to-ride-a-stand-up-tutorial-video/

The 2017 Superjet and SXR are nothing alike. Superjet is slow, nimble and 2 stroke. SXR is super fast, large and 4 stroke. I've ridden both and they both have their merits.
If you want to do freestyle/freeride get a Superjet. Don't even consider the SXR if you don't want to lake cruise or race.

You do need an IJSBA license if you purchase a 2 stroke ski from a dealer. You will also need insurance if financing, pretty cheap. Need it especially if you are riding surf. Bilge pump is always good to help keep front sinking in Surf, but a fresh ski is pretty water tight.

There are endless mods to any ski. On a Superjet the first thing you need to upgrade is the steering plate to quick steer and probably wider zero degree bars with a UMI or Slippery throttle lever. I prefer OVP vs standard turnplate style steering as it is more intuitive. SJs are pretty terrible with stock bars/steering. Then put a ton of gas through it and practice practice practice!

Welcome! First - if you have never ridden a stand up check out my how-to article & video that was posted a few days ago ;)
https://watercraftjournal.com/back-to-basics-how-to-ride-a-stand-up-tutorial-video/

The 2017 Superjet and SXR are nothing alike. Superjet is slow, nimble and 2 stroke. SXR is super fast, large and 4 stroke. I've ridden both and they both have their merits.
If you want to do freestyle/freeride get a Superjet. Don't even consider the SXR if you don't want to lake cruise or race.

You do need an IJSBA license if you purchase a 2 stroke ski from a dealer. You will also need insurance if financing, pretty cheap. Need it especially if you are riding surf. Bilge pump is always good to help keep front sinking in Surf, but a fresh ski is pretty water tight.

There are endless mods to any ski. On a Superjet the first thing you need to upgrade is the steering plate to quick steer and probably wider zero degree bars with a UMI or Slippery throttle lever. I prefer OVP vs standard turnplate style steering as it is more intuitive. SJs are pretty terrible with stock bars/steering. Then put a ton of gas through it and practice practice practice!

You're the man! I put 100 down today for them to start the crate build on the Superjet! I will definitely add the modifications you mentioned right away. Any other Superjet tips or general tips I should be aware of? Thanks!

chixwithtrix

Addicted
You're the man! I put 100 down today for them to start the crate build on the Superjet! I will definitely add the modifications you mentioned right away. Any other Superjet tips or general tips I should be aware of? Thanks!
I'm a chick, but haters on the internet have accused me of being a tranny before ;)

You'll love it, great all around ski. Message me if you have any questions, happy to help new riders!

You dont need need insurance or a license for a new 2 stroke even when you buy new with financing mybe in texas but thats new to me if you do! i bought mine brand new needed neither !your best bet is to see what the guys you hang with do down their in fla they should know the ropes! If you listen to everyones 2 sence you will get realy confused! And deal with thrust or jetmaniac in fla they are both very helpfull good luck!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Technically with the SJ your supposed to have an ijsba or Prowatercross license. But this is not enforced. The SJ is labeled as Competition use only. It is a deal about 2 strokes and emissions. They had to labor it this way and agree to sell to "racers only". But this is not followed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

E350

Site Supporter
_frontend: First, I have no business posting in your thread because I am new at this sport too. But I always tell my students to get to know the group who kayak/ski where you want to and learn from them what to buy before you spend your money on what you -- looking from the outside -- think you should buy. Even I know from my limited experience in this sport that the title of your thread is not comparing apples to apples. Your money is burning a hole in your wallet, I get it, but first figure out where you should be in the produce aisle...

Second, your closed-ended question is typical of the newby questions I get. Should I get A or B? How 'bout showing up at the group launch site as recommended above and just quietly watch? And when asked, tell everyone that you know nothing, except that you are totally stoked by the sport and are ready to get into it for surf riding (dude I am jealous of you living next to the ocean -- we live 200 ft. from the river and it is a jewel, but once you learn to surf standing waves in a whitewater kayak you will never go back to flat water kayaking except for forward stroke strength training). And then ask this: "What should I demo/buy?" My advice is always to do three things: "Demo, demo, demo..."

Third, there is inevitably some guy or chick with an aftermarket ski whom the group respects who has to leave the area, or has outgrown their ski, or needs money for a new family, or for some other reason is selling his or her ski. And you may find that -- although I have been told that the 2008+ Superjet is the best all round jet ski ever designed -- that there are better surf-designed hulls/engine/pump combination skis out there which if bought used, could be the same price or less than a new SJ.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I'm a chick, but haters on the internet have accused me of being a tranny before ;)

You'll love it, great all around ski. Message me if you have any questions, happy to help new riders!

Ah, my bad. Should have checked the name. I'm cool with anyone who wants to ride. Do you ride at the Causeway? Could use some friends to get started.

_frontend: First, I have no business posting in your thread because I am new at this sport too. But I always tell my students to get to know the group who kayak/ski where you want to and learn from them what to buy before you spend your money on what you -- looking from the outside -- think you should buy. Even I know from my limited experience in this sport that the title of your thread is not comparing apples to apples. Your money is burning a hole in you wallet, I get it, but first figure out where you should be in the produce aisle...

Second, your closed-in question is typical of the newby questions I get. Should I get A or B? How 'bout showing up at the group launch site as recommended above and just quietly watch? And when asked, tell everyone that you know nothing, except that you are totally stoked by the sport and are ready to get into it for surf riding (dude I am jealous of you living next to the ocean -- we live 200 ft. from the river and it is a jewel, but once you learn to surf standing waves in a whitewater kayak you will never go back to flat water kayaking except for forward stroke strength training). And then ask this: "What should I demo/buy?" My advice is always to do three things: "Demo, demo, demo..."

Third, there is inevitably some guy or chick with an aftermarket ski whom the group respects who has to leave the area, or has outgrown their ski, or needs money for a new family, or for some other reason is selling his or her ski. And you may find that -- although I have been told that the 2008+ Superjet is the best all round jet ski ever designed -- that there are better surf-designed hulls/engine/pump combination skis out there which if bought used, could be the same price or less than a new SJ.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the insight. I have done my research and knew I leaned towards the style of the Superjet, but wanted further opinions to confirm as I am new to the sport. My SJ will be built by tomorrow and I'll pick it up on Weds. I have always bought new toys (within reason) as I don't want to be wrenching or dealing with someone else's problems. I treat my gear with the utmost attention and I have never had a serious issue out of any machine I have owned. Also, I'm an avid paddleboarder. I never really hit it off with Kayaking.

South side of Dunedin causeway, look for the crew of stand up riders. 10am we start showing up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate the heads up. I might have family in town this weekend but you'll see me around.. If you see some dude constantly falling off a brand new SJ, that's probably me and you should say hello :)

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Looks through the topics and decided to post here. By the way, I was recommended to this forum so... Sup fam!

Just moved to Dunedin, FL from SC. Have a sport bike and riding here is flat out boring. Looking to trade in the bike towards a 2017 SXR or 2017 Superjet. Growing up hooning on dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and everything in between has my sights set on the Superjet as I eventually want to freestyle. I will start out learning and riding at Honeymoon Island. Will I need a racing license to purchase the Superjet.. Will I need a bilge pump for the Superjet? The SXR has drain plugs and all the stuffs but it seems way too long and heavy to do anything besides carve buoys and race. Insurance? Mods? Things I must know? Etc. Leaning towards the Superjet and a galvanized trailer as I plan to take fantastic care of whatever I buy.

This is new to me so I'm hoping to start a conversation as a newbie and gain some insight from you pros.

Thanks people.

There is a group of guys that ride at Dunedin / honeymoon. They are mostly surf riders. They can be found on this site in the "duck pond" but I don't think they frequent the site as much. @JamesG @AtomicPunk The group rides mostly superjet, modified superjet and aftermarket freeride.

There is a group of riders that ride Lake Seminole. They are mostly racers and set up bouys. They can be found on Facebook St. Pete Standup Crew. The group rides mostly SXR 800 stock and limited, hydrospace 951 and SXR 1100, SXR1500, sport spec.

Edit: Xmetal is based in Clearwater. They sometimes test and practice at lake Seminole if you are interested in flatwater. Just know that theres nothing budget friendly about flatwater.

You can try out my superjet if you want to meet up at Lake Seminole Thursday, Friday or Saturday of this week. I don't take very good care of it, so you will have to deal with the fact that half the turf is falling off such, but it runs pretty good.

You should be looking at a Superjet or the SXR800, not the SXR1500 which wont be any good for freeride. I'm not going to tell you to buy a superjet. Superjet has an advantage in our smaller surf but the SXR stability has an advantage in our frequent ridiculous, not even a little clean, chopped up surf.

My advice is always the same. The best 1st ski is the one that can get you out meeting people. A clean stock SXR that runs like a top is better than a highly modified superjet that breaks frequently even in the cleanest of surf. Condition condition condition. Reliability is king for new riders.

Thanks people.

cool man. sounds like you found the best site to learn from. i am saving my money to have a custom ski built from one of the senior members on this site. he is smart and i trust him

Top Bottom