New to me SN SJ!!

I just picked up a '91 SJ last week. i gotta say i love this thing. compared to my 550sx its night and day. So what should i do to it first? It has a protec pipe/manifold, ported cylinder, jet dynamics ride plate, and some small scoop. idk which one but i cant keep it from porposing and rough water pickup is horrible. what combo ride plate do you recommend for surf. also a head, idk what brand head it is so if anyone knows lmk. has about 175 psi in both cylinders. i must say i was amazed on how well thought out the design was compared to my kawi. pics from cl is all i have now. got it for $300

Attachments

• 3ke3p73od5Q25P85R8989016a4927e9d61c55.jpg
    3ke3p73od5Q25P85R8989016a4927e9d61c55.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 3k83oa3pd5O55P85R998920bc203089ef18ab.jpg
    3k83oa3pd5O55P85R998920bc203089ef18ab.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 76
yea i didn't hear it run though, so i was kinda taking a risk. i turned it over by hand, but it was kinda hanging up in the beginning. Also the spark plugs were covered in black gunk. guy i bought it from told me it ran 3 yrs ago, he didn't look like someone that would lie. but it fired right up with fresh gas and a couple primer shots. runs amazing now though. haven't even touched the carb yet. my 550 i've had the carb off 5 times this summer and it still isn't right. sbn carbs must just be a better carb

Last edited:
That is a crazy good deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
From a power/performance stand point, I wouldn't do much of anything right now. Maybe a carb rebuild if it doesn't run perfect.....it's been sitting a long time.
I would find out what prop. you have. That might be a great place to pick up some performance and hook up.
Most people on this forum will tell you that the Worx 201 intake grate and stock ride plate are one of the best combo's unless you want to carve bouys. Your jet dy plate is fine for now though. I actually cut one of those down and it works pretty well. By cutting it down you might only make the porpousing worse. It will get better as you learn to ride better. Get farther forward in the tray if possible.
If it still has stock bars and steering, that might be another upgrade to think about right now.

i knew someone was going to mention the 701 swap lol. as far as the carb it runs amazing always starts one push and instant accel. it has a ss impeller on it now. no idea of the brand or pitch.

so how hard would it be to swap the 650 into my kawi 550sx? if i was going to get a 701 that would be perfect to throw it in my other ski.

im looking into either buyin a rn pole to cut down or going with 0 deg bars/finger throttle. and some kind of steering plate?? i feel like a shorter pole would make me lean forward more.

I usually ride a 750sx, but i hopped on a buddies sn sj this weekend, and they are a blast! I hate to say it but they are way easier to sub!

I usually ride a 750sx, but i hopped on a buddies sn sj this weekend, and they are a blast! I hate to say it but they are way easier to sub!

yea my friend has a 650sx which probably doesn't even compare to a 750sx and i like my sj a lot better. but he does stay neck and neck with me in a straight race and hes bone stock with a fresh rebuild. idk kinda surprised me.

where can i buy a new throttle cable cheap. Yamaha wants $80 or something ridiculous.

yeah, mines pretty well bone stock. i cant wait to pipe it and get some footholds in it, probably this winter. id check around on ebay some for the cables though, theres alot of stuff on there

yea my friend has a 650sx which probably doesn't even compare to a 750sx and i like my sj a lot better. but he does stay neck and neck with me in a straight race and hes bone stock with a fresh rebuild. idk kinda surprised me.

where can i buy a new throttle cable cheap. Yamaha wants $80 or something ridiculous.

I have a 91 SN SJ and i love it! right now it is all stock but still a blast! I hopped on ryan's 750 this weekend and it was a little faster but way harder to sub then my ski!

hopefully it will get easier as i get it setup better though. i cant wait until we can do some winter buildups :fingersx:

Oh dude it will get easier, well have to go ride the slalom course infront of your house when im over next weekend! when are we going to start tearing into our skis?

Yamisj

Hot Dog
I have a 91 SN, last winter I put a 701 61x in it. I need a after market pipe though. Also added a R&D intake grate and ride plate, just got zero degree bars and finger throttle from Blowsion. They make you feel like you're on the hood, well maybe not that far but I like them much better than the stock bars

I have a 91 SN, last winter I put a 701 61x in it. I need a after market pipe though. Also added a R&D intake grate and ride plate, just got zero degree bars and finger throttle from Blowsion. They make you feel like you're on the hood, well maybe not that far but I like them much better than the stock bars

how was the difference between the 650 and 701?

Yamisj

Hot Dog
It's hard for me to tell you the difference between 650 and701.
I havent ridden a 650 for a long time. I picked up this SN and it had a bad motor, so I put a 701 in it.

Check out the Worx Dominator ride plate. It sticks a mile out behind the ski. You won't be doing any standing backflips with that plate, but porpoising will definitely be a thing of the past.

Top Bottom