SX/SXi/SXi Pro New to the Ski world...need some help w/ 300sx!

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
I am installing a SBN off of a WR500 on my sons 300SX tomorrow,I will let you know how it works out,I am thinking the jet sizes,needle and seat etc will be pretty much spot on.

WFO Speedracer

Let me school you on BN carbs,once you break the seal on the gaskets they no longer work at least not properly,I have rebuilt many of them in my day regrettably,about the only way to get them to work again is to replace all the gaskets and diaphragms IE a complete carb rebuild and I strongly recommend using an OEM Mikuni carb rebuild kit,even then sometimes its a crapshoot.If this SBN off of the 91 WR500 works out that will be the way to go no doubt about it.

the WaTeRhAwK

fryin' up a/m electrics..
Let me school you on BN carbs,once you break the seal on the gaskets they no longer work at least not properly,I have rebuilt many of them in my day regrettably,about the only way to get them to work again is to replace all the gaskets and diaphragms IE a complete carb rebuild and I strongly recommend using an OEM Mikuni carb rebuild kit,even then sometimes its a crapshoot.If this SBN off of the 91 WR500 works out that will be the way to go no doubt about it.

if the seals don't rip and peel when you disassemble them, you can clean the mating surfaces with laquer thinner or chemtool b-12, let them dry thoroughly, then smear a very thin coat of threebond 1211 on the mating surfaces, and they will not leak. I have three bn 44's on skis right now, I've taken them apart and used the same gaskets and diaphragms on them several times with no leaks or problems. just my experience.

WFO Speedracer

91 WR500 Super BN carb is installed,direct bolt on,everything hooks up just like the stock BN,no rejetting required whatsoever,I believe I came out 1/2 turn on the low speed screw,difference is night and day,my suggestion is find one of these carbs bolt it on and don't look back.

WFO Speedracer

if the seals don't rip and peel when you disassemble them, you can clean the mating surfaces with laquer thinner or chemtool b-12, let them dry thoroughly, then smear a very thin coat of threebond 1211 on the mating surfaces, and they will not leak. I have three bn 44's on skis right now, I've taken them apart and used the same gaskets and diaphragms on them several times with no leaks or problems. just my experience.

To quote Men in Black,"your experience means exactly DICK!" No disrespect intended of course.................

91 WR500 Super BN carb is installed,direct bolt on,everything hooks up just like the stock BN,no rejetting required whatsoever,I believe I came out 1/2 turn on the low speed screw,difference is night and day,my suggestion is find one of these carbs bolt it on and don't look back.

Where can i find one of those carbs? and are they expensive?

Also, i'm 6'2" and about 170 - 180 lbs, think the 300 is a bit small for me??

lol

WFO Speedracer

Where can i find one of those carbs? and are they expensive?

Also, i'm 6'2" and about 170 - 180 lbs, think the 300 is a bit small for me??

lol

Contact someone like John Zigler for a used carb or put up a "want to buy post",any 91 Yamaha WR500 has one of those carbs on it also any 91 and up 580 Seadoo has at least one 38mm carb on it but you will have to rejet anything else other than the 500 carb.My suggestion is to spend as little on the ski as possible because you will outgrow it quickly,sell it to someone else and move on to a bigger ski,as long as you can get your feet wet and ride cheap thats fine just don't dump any money into that ski because you won't get it back out of it,its a beginner ski at best.

what is a BN carb? Sorry I am just dumb when it comes to acronyms.

Anyway, a 300 is WAY small. I'm very unhappy with my 85 550 so I bought a 750!

the WaTeRhAwK

all you have o do is give us the secret of your great wisdom.:pancake:

well, first off, you get a dictionary and learn to understand what words mean, then you read information regarding what it is you're wanting to understand(kinda like you're doing right now) while using the information gathered from learning what words mean. that, coupled with hands-on experience pretty much sums it up. of course it helps to be raised around a lot of veterans with the same experiences i/e flat-track and moto-x racing before the skis ever came along, etc...

well, first off, you get a dictionary and learn to understand what words mean, then you read information regarding what it is you're wanting to understand(kinda like you're doing right now) while using the information gathered from learning what words mean. that, coupled with hands-on experience pretty much sums it up. of course it helps to be raised around a lot of veterans with the same experiences i/e flat-track and moto-x racing before the skis ever came along, etc...

or just take your route.... smoke crack while reading a 70's clymers manual and preach it as gospel....

the WaTeRhAwK

or just take your route.... smoke crack while reading a 70's clymers manual and preach it as gospel....

well, first off, I don't do drugs.

secondly you could really learn a lot from this website, charlie........

http://www.vf750fd.com/blurbs/stroke.html

Mixture Extraction

This pulse is timed to reach the exhaust port after the transfer ports close, but before the exhaust port closes. The returning compression wave pushes the mixture drawn into the header by the negative pressure wave back into the cylinder, thus supercharging (a bigger charge than normal) the engine. The straight section of pipe between the two cones exists to ensure that the positive waves reaches the exhaust port at the correct time:

get a clue.

not to mention the fact that those old '70's manuals were around long before you ever had anything to do with the stuff. I can tell by how much you don't know.....lol

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Top Bottom