Newbie to the surf - a few dumb questions

Just moved to the Carolina coast - never rode in the surf. Other than flushing it - any tips? I have a B1.

Do you wear helmets? Go barefoot or?

Also - you guys that surf ride - do you unload at a ramp or go out on the beach. We have a couple 4wd beaches - can you take your trailer out there and just back into the surf? I have a Wrangler - sand is soft, but I think I could get the trailer out there without getting stuck? Maybe not?

Well personally I wear a helmet in big surf, I prefer barefoot, but I added extra under padding with my turf, and I use a beach cart to launch because half the good surf beaches here in j-ville don't have ramp access or your not allowed to drive on the beach.

SN760

For Those About To Rock
tote lanch, helmet, and good quality water shoes

and yes you can get stuck---even with a 4 wheel drive

stay at least 20 to 30 feet back from where the surf is ending.

Don't back into the water. Not only does salt water suck, but the waves quickly wash the sand from under your tires and can leave you stuck. You don't want to be stuck at the water's edge at low tide!!!!!
If you have trouble with traction just air down your tires. 15lbs and you can still drive down the road to the next gas station for air. In the dunes I ran my tires all the way down to 5lbs....If you do this don't be doing donuts!!!!!! You will roll a tire off the bead for sure.
Wear a helmet in surf. I have ridden waves for years and almost NEVER have any issues with close calls. In Daytona I screwed up a no handed roll and my boat landed on my shoulder HARD. If it had been my head without a helmet it would have been serious.

Wrestling shoes hold up the longest and give the best traction and protection.

Last edited:

Speleopower

got a Superjet
I just started riding skis and I ride mostly in the surf as well. Put tow loops front and rear, have a short rope with clips at both ends, on your person (I wrap mine around my waist), helmet, bilge pump and hood straps are bare minimum. I would also get a Worx 201 intake grate as well if your ski is new.

My first ocean session was with a stock intake grate and it really really really sucked to be me.

Scott

Top Bottom