no superjets for canada :(

here's what i have found out about superjets north of the border.

own a 93 sn and love ridding the thing, but seeing as i got it for a great price i started thinking maybe instead of putting tons of money into endless mods on an old machine why not get a new one and go from there, leaving me with a spare ski in case of breakdown or to let friends ride...and suck them into this awesome passtime...(cue evil grin)

so off i go talking to several large dealers. the yamaha website has tons of info and pricing on the 08sj so i figured a yamaha dealer who has bikes sleds and couches should have no trouble getting me a new sj..

guess what...no dice!!

I have phone visited and emailed several major dealers on all ends of this country and not one of them can get one from yamaha, seems they where told they wont be importing it into our fair country??

sure its cold here but come on, wear a bigger wet suit..or a dry, pull up your big girl panties n suck it up ;) ridding is ridding...i dont stop downhill skiing if its cold eitherwe live here..adapt i say..

but i digress. bottom line is they cant get one, there is a dealer who said he would look into finding one in the US and bringing it in for me but something about how it would likely void my warranty..

so it looks like this guy is gonna have to make a trip south to find his new toy...then comes the debate..if buying from a us dealer and importing here voids my warranty then why not find a used one for cheaper and likely with some mods already??

ok end of venting session...at least i still got the SN to ride...just never thought getting a new one would be such a difficult task..

on a funny side note one dealer said " we cant get you the yami but we can order you a kawi"..i politely said i know what i want...ill just keep ridding the old sj..thanks..lol

have a great weekend out there

the WaTeRhAwK

fryin' up a/m electrics..
why don't you just buy an aftermarket hull and good engine setup from someone, after you buy all the micellaneous parts to get it together, you will have spent about as much for an '08 sj. but you'll have a better boat.

They haven't been importing them for a while. I had the same problem 3.5 years ago when I was looking to buy mine. The policy wasn't new then either. I've seen dealers still get in SXRs though...

ahh well, the border isn't far, so it makes little difference.

vjhardcore

Ride It Like Ya Stole IT!
here's what i have found out about superjets north of the border.

own a 93 sn and love ridding the thing, but seeing as i got it for a great price i started thinking maybe instead of putting tons of money into endless mods on an old machine why not get a new one and go from there, leaving me with a spare ski in case of breakdown or to let friends ride...and suck them into this awesome passtime...(cue evil grin)

so off i go talking to several large dealers. the yamaha website has tons of info and pricing on the 08sj so i figured a yamaha dealer who has bikes sleds and couches should have no trouble getting me a new sj..

guess what...no dice!!

I have phone visited and emailed several major dealers on all ends of this country and not one of them can get one from yamaha, seems they where told they wont be importing it into our fair country??

sure its cold here but come on, wear a bigger wet suit..or a dry, pull up your big girl panties n suck it up ;) ridding is ridding...i dont stop downhill skiing if its cold eitherwe live here..adapt i say..

but i digress. bottom line is they cant get one, there is a dealer who said he would look into finding one in the US and bringing it in for me but something about how it would likely void my warranty..

so it looks like this guy is gonna have to make a trip south to find his new toy...then comes the debate..if buying from a us dealer and importing here voids my warranty then why not find a used one for cheaper and likely with some mods already??

ok end of venting session...at least i still got the SN to ride...just never thought getting a new one would be such a difficult task..

on a funny side note one dealer said " we cant get you the yami but we can order you a kawi"..i politely said i know what i want...ill just keep ridding the old sj..thanks..lol

have a great weekend out there

I have a contact in Yamaha Canada Sales - I tried to get a new 07 a couple years ago. The issue is that Yamaha feels that there is not enough Stand Up sales to warrant getting/paying for Canada Coast Guard / Ministry of Transportation licencing / approval. My contacts said they could call a US dealer they know and bring one in that way for me. No savings though.(Warranty issues? Yamaha U.S. will warranty it - but its only good for a year anyway, and once you start moding it they won't touch it anyway!)

I ended up finding an 07 in Pittsburgh at the end of 07, with the first 6-8 nessecary mods and only 6hrs on it for I think it was $6000 at the time. Saved about $2000 from buying new and adding the mods myself.

Good luck with your search.

u dont want an 08 anyways

do tell??? i was under the impression that the hull changes made to the 08 model made a world of difference.

I am by no means a great freerider, i play in the surf, jump my ski and slowly trying bigger and better tricks, i also enjoy poaching the waterski slalom course when its quiet and carving some buoys..

like i said i got the impression the new hull design would be great for my style of ridding as i dont need a specific purpose built machine for FR or Race.

as well thanks for the craigs list link...wish that site gave you the option of searching its entire database for a specific item...tough to systematically go through every city making the same search.

Never reaized they didnt sell superjets up here ,, I was at a the boat show a few weeks ago in Toronto .. not even one stand up ski there at all .. I do remeber about 4-5 years ago maybe ? seeing an octane ( so that can give usan idea of how far back ) ther was also a afew sxrs at the kawi booths and I know i seen a few superjets there also .. maybe they used to sell them here but stopped ??

the WaTeRhAwK

08s dont turn, and are very hard to slide. 90% of the people that ride them, hate them

they increased the chine depth on them, so when you try and go into a turn they lock into the water while the nozzel is trying to get it to turn, it's fighting the chines.

the WaTeRhAwK

and steering throw is VERY limited

see, that doesn't make any damned sense at all. it seems like after as much feedback as these companies get from the public, after finishing a run, they would go back in and reformat stuff like that. the polaris octane was the only ski I know of that was ever produced completely aftermarket from the factory, with the rider in mind during production. and now they've quit making watercraft. Yamaha has been around for long enough, they should know better than to release a boat like that.

I think a lot of people including myself just don't like the 08 right off the bat because were just not used too it yet. I’m sure it’s a better race boat then the previous models. It just has different characteristics than we become accustomed too (sliding). For the uses you mentioned above I think you would be happy with a 08 + sj and most likely any sj. I would be really interested in ride an 08 sj with an 07 pole and steering cable...

the WaTeRhAwK

I think a lot of people including myself just don't like the 08 right off the bat because were just not used too it yet. I’m sure it’s a better race boat then the previous models. It just has different characteristics than we become accustomed too (sliding). For the uses you mentioned above I think you would be happy with a 08 + sj and most likely any sj. I would be really interested in ride an 08 sj with an 07 pole and steering cable...

yeah, but if the steering throw is limited (compared to earlier models) wtf!?!? why would they take a step back like that? increasing the chine depth is a race-oriented modification. who in their right mind up there at the designers nest thinks that (of all things) a diminished turning radius is a plus!? that's one of the first things you do when you begin modifying a race ski is install a "quicksteer" which increase turning radius and throw to the cable. it's some backwards4ss BS.

the WaTeRhAwK

any bad feedback in there forums can be removed so they dont get bad rap. we all see it done.

yeah, regardless, they should record that stuff, and after enough complaints of the same things come in, make the changes. if they have anyone in marketing that actually has a brain and plans on selling anything.

goldmullet

literally chillin
Yeah, I just bought an 08 last year and the steering is lame until you do some mods. And this ski bites the water hard. I have to really try to slide it out, but most times it ends up catching and tossing me overboard. However, the hook up is good and the platform is pretty damn stable. I was getting used to this ski's handling....and then it snowed. dammit.

yeah, but if the steering throw is limited (compared to earlier models) wtf!?!? why would they take a step back like that? increasing the chine depth is a race-oriented modification. who in their right mind up there at the designers nest thinks that (of all things) a diminished turning radius is a plus!? that's one of the first things you do when you begin modifying a race ski is install a "quicksteer" which increase turning radius and throw to the cable. it's some backwards4ss BS.

The 08 does not have diminished turning radius. You can make it turn on a dime, with a little help from the throttle that is. I think the reason yamaha shorted the throw on the nozzle was to make it harder to slide out. Which would be good for racing. Also by having the nozzle slightly trimmed up is a good feature to have in conjunction with the limited steering throw because when you lean the ski in a turn you are actually giving yourself more steering throw.

Top Bottom