Nose Modification "rocker" Thread.... making a sj a better surf ski.....

I got this hull from Japan last month the hull is shorted and the nose too I really like it so I have cuted my WF Factory 05 hull short 10 cm, After seen this thread make me want to cut the nose to, I did shorted superjet before so cutting the rear is not a problem but for nose modification what you guys suggest?

Attachments

• 2010.06.07 065.jpg
    2010.06.07 065.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 538

Waternut

Customizing addict
I haven't followed this thread as closely as I was at first but I started noticing people chopping the nose short and making an abrupt angle up (post #142 especially). I own the stunt hull which does exactly this and I can tell you guys now that I don't think you'll like it unless you change the actual rocker all the way back through the hull. Normally a stock hull cuts through waves and glides across chop. When you make that sharp turn up in the nose and leave the rest of the bottom deck alone, it creates a wall that plows into the waves and makes the hull really squirrelly in chop. When you hit any wave that you aren't planning to jump, it creates an eye opening deceleration. Provided you can learn to deal with the massive deceleration of a head on wave, catching a wave at an angle has a very high potetial to throw you off line and possibly plop down on your side as if you never rode a standup before.

Cannibal

Tasty Human
When you hit any wave that you aren't planning to jump, it creates an eye opening deceleration. Provided you can learn to deal with the massive deceleration of a head on wave, catching a wave at an angle has a very high potetial to throw you off line and possibly plop down on your side as if you never rode a standup before.

I have been following this thread and nobody has addressed the 'plow' factor. Thanks for bringing that up.

I haven't followed this thread as closely as I was at first but I started noticing people chopping the nose short and making an abrupt angle up (post #142 especially). I own the stunt hull which does exactly this and I can tell you guys now that I don't think you'll like it unless you change the actual rocker all the way back through the hull. Normally a stock hull cuts through waves and glides across chop. When you make that sharp turn up in the nose and leave the rest of the bottom deck alone, it creates a wall that plows into the waves and makes the hull really squirrelly in chop. When you hit any wave that you aren't planning to jump, it creates an eye opening deceleration. Provided you can learn to deal with the massive deceleration of a head on wave, catching a wave at an angle has a very high potetial to throw you off line and possibly plop down on your side as if you never rode a standup before.

I'm not so convinced about this.
I accept that you have this already and thats your experience, but thats assumably your experience of a complete new hull with a multitude of differing factors. I was looking at the angle of my ski as I was riding and the nose is always way out of the water. I have just cut my nose off and am rebuilding it now so will let you know my findings in a week or so!!

Nose rocker ROCKs , it has saved my ass more than a few times. What you do to the tail (rear) affects the nose also , it's about balance both nose and tail. Cut at the chine on both sides and the center line, torture it in to position and glass it .

If you look at a side view of some of the xft BF hulls , you will see that they have tapered the rear of the ski like you are talking about Berky . I think changing the rocker would be starting from the center balance point " taking in consideration of rider position " and tapering in both directions . That to me is a rocker change . Just taking a little off the front and increasing the upward angle of the nose seems like a great mod for a surf ski , but seems it would do little in the way of performance other than pearling the nose. My background and hull rocker understanding comes from the White water boating arena . More rocker equates to quicker response in turning , but with reduced tracking . It seems to me more rocker would certainly make the rider pay closer attention to slight corrections in weight placement . I.e. body english to keep from over correcting . I think it is a worthy design to experiment with.

Last edited:

joe b

depth tester
Rode today for the first time since doing this mod along with a few others. This nose shape works really good for wave ridding. I was coming in steep on some stab re-entrys and snaps in shallow water where I thought it would dive to the bottom. Nope... Just had to lean back and hold on. It also lets the nose drop more but initiates a perdictable rotation instead of catching water and diving which makes for a quicker turn in. Yep... It makes more spray but to have the nose down for that to happen your doing stuff so it's expected(I like the spray too). I'd say it's worth the effort:biggthumpup:t02.jpgt01.jpg

joe b

depth tester
joe b its teric, i just got home to o.c. ,lets ride now whats -up

Yea buddy!!! Sorry for not getting back with you in the fall...Today was the first I've ridden in a year. Would like to get together for some Corson rides... I heard it's breaking good down there. I'd like to ride Brig tonight befor dark, wanna ride???

Attachments

• 2010.07.22 013.jpg
    2010.07.22 013.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 198
  • 2010.07.22 010.jpg
    2010.07.22 010.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 268
  • 2010.07.22 011.jpg
    2010.07.22 011.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 323
  • 2010.07.22 017.jpg
    2010.07.22 017.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 241
  • 2010.07.25 001.jpg
    2010.07.25 001.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 425

NVJAY775

My home away from home.
Way to bring this one back to life. I'm hoping to see some more nose jobs. I want to try one, but I am sceered and lack glass experience. Just took a few inches off the back, but haven't ridden it yet dammmmmmit. But I am interested in cutting up the nose too. It's fixable. Right?....

SJBrit

Extraordinary Alien
I'm seriously considering it as my winter project. The only thing making me hesitate is that I have a bunch of other projects to get done this winter so I don't know if I will have the time. But, I am very interested in losing a few inches off the front of my ski to help my flatwater back flips to come around. I don't need the rocker, but that will be a nice by-product.

Flash-FX

No Square..No Round..FX-1
Found a couple of pix from earlier this summer of a stunt hull in action (courtesy Yamacrazed/owner and Vince/test pilot). It seems it likes to plow when approaching higher speeds...as mentioned above.

It's not a bad thing, just a design that handles better going slower.

Attachments

• vinceStunt2.jpg
    vinceStunt2.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 266
  • vinceStunt1.jpg
    vinceStunt1.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 284

Bobert540

Site Supporter
Found a couple of pix from earlier this summer of a stunt hull in action (courtesy Yamacrazed/owner and Vince/test pilot). It seems it likes to plow when approaching higher speeds...as mentioned above.

It's not a bad thing, just a design that handles better going slower.

The stunt hull is definitely a wet ride and it is not meant for high speeds. Trust me I have tried it and failed! Just ask Yamacrazed lol

i hope i don't get in trouble for sharing this

Attachments

• 62371_148948248474935_131866883516405_196438_3014953_n.jpg
    62371_148948248474935_131866883516405_196438_3014953_n.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 323
Top Bottom