OG Backie Chan paint for sale

Its a shame. That is a pretty good hull that had potential. Too bad there has been nobody that could build one correctly.
This is true but honestly the latest chan hulls are way better. The molds were re finished so all the gel coat blems are gone, also the top of the nose was changed so there is more room for a PFP to sit correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pablo

sqeez bth levrs & lean bk
Site Supporter
Mines been spot on since day one. Only thing I've changed is the tank mounts to accept limited slip. I've flipped...and flopped it hundreds of times without a single blem. No paint on mine though...straight gel coat that hasn't chipped or spidered. Lucky me.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Mines been spot on since day one. Only thing I've changed is the tank mounts to accept limited slip. I've flipped...and flopped it hundreds of times without a single blem. No paint on mine though...straight gel coat that hasn't chipped or spidered. Lucky me.
Yours was the last one Steve built most likely, looks like he figured it out finally.

Mine was one of the first few out of the mold, I had no issues with it up until I found the back bondline had came unglued but that was a 5 min fix. I also got a very thick rideplate from steve halfway into my ownership and made it fit cherry. It has now been through a few owners and still no issues. I think people that ask for light hulls should not be allowed light hulls, unless they can prove their riding ability. Mistake on both buyer and builder IMO, and I have been around his operation from the get go. Josh has evolved the venture to where it needs to be. The Phantom is strong and his fit and finish is well, "magical".

Yours was the last one Steve built most likely, looks like he figured it out finally.
No the updated ones were the 2015 model. Mine is the older version but they are way better than the first few. I haven't had any issues

Mine was one of the first few out of the mold, I had no issues with it up until I found the back bondline had came unglued but that was a 5 min fix. I also got a very thick rideplate from steve halfway into my ownership and made it fit cherry. It has now been through a few owners and still no issues. I think people that ask for light hulls should not be allowed light hulls, unless they can prove their riding ability. Mistake on both buyer and builder IMO, and I have been around his operation from the get go. Josh has evolved the venture to where it needs to be. The Phantom is strong and his fit and finish is well, "magical".
I just saw the phantom for the first time in person in Daytona. I like it! Very well done.

hornedogg79

dodgin' bass boats

I sure as hell didn't ask for a light layup. I know of several that cracked around the pole bracket before they were even really ridden. Steve called right after I got it to ask if it had started cracking. So that was partially my fault? I added 3 layers of 6k carbon to my rideplate from the get go or it would've broke too. I peeled all the bond line reinforcement off with my fingers! Not a 5 min fix lol.
Who even built my hull??? At world finals 2013 both Josh and Steve talked to me like they did. Then later I was told Josh did all the composites and design work from the very beginning and Steve was just a frontman. Since I posted this thread I've seen text messages claiming it was someone else all together who build the first few. The Phantoms do look nice and I'm sure they're strong. Everyone learns from their mistakes. Just don't forget who paid for theirs.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I sure as hell didn't ask for a light layup. I know of several that cracked around the pole bracket before they were even really ridden. Steve called right after I got it to ask if it had started cracking. So that was partially my fault? I added 3 layers of 6k carbon to my rideplate from the get go or it would've broke too. I peeled all the bond line reinforcement off with my fingers! Not a 5 min fix lol.
Who even built my hull??? At world finals 2013 both Josh and Steve talked to me like they did. Then later I was told Josh did all the composites and design work from the very beginning and Steve was just a frontman. Since I posted this thread I've seen text messages claiming it was someone else all together who build the first few. The Phantoms do look nice and I'm sure they're strong. Everyone learns from their mistakes. Just don't forget who paid for theirs.

Who did you buy your from? Trendsetters?

Josh infused my chan when Steve was in Daytona, Steve glued it together when he came back. Im sure Josh was only involved with maybe 20% of the early chans but should not be included in the faults as most the time he spent at the shop he was working on the Harley's. I was there. I knew exactly what was going on. You @hornedogg79 may not have asked for anything special and got roached on the tail end, I understand your point. But 60% of his customers asked for a light fiberglass layup for flatwater, why? i have no clue. Why did he do it? beats me. And that is where the failures come from. Your reinforcement failure is unacceptable, along with the OG paint laying around. I would be mad also. He roached alot of people and thats that. But dont include Josh in this.

What year do you assume it is? Or when did you buy it?

hornedogg79

dodgin' bass boats
What year do you assume it is? Or when did you buy it?
His was the only warranty replacement hull they sent out. Of course they laid it up thick. Shortly after they pulled a move straight out of the Mexican Restaurant Management Handbook -If the shonet hits the fan, sell the company to your amigo and change the name.

swapmeet

Brotastic
Just now seeing this. Wow.
Wow wow wow.

I've heard the same statements concerning "who" built the first hulls. I don't think it matters who's name is on the underwear of the guy doing the work, the hull came from Trendsetterz owned by Steve, Trendsetterz/ Steve promised multiple people, myself included replacement hulls, but never followed through. As you can see, my name is on that list too.
Steve will tell you that the next guy will take care of you, but its passing the buck. I think that Steve should've made it right, but i'm tired of being pissed about it.

It really is a good hull. The problems we're experiencing suck but their not insurmountable. Just time, money and labor to repair.

Mine finally developed substantial cracks around the handle pole area last season. Kevlar doesn't allow it to fully crack, just flex, thankfully. The flat spot that the bracket mounts to was really thin. I want to say it was like .3 inches. I've added 100oz of carbon to that area to reinforce it. Probably double the thickness that was there.

I think that some of the later hulls that Trendsetterz built were really good, they definitely learned what not to do with the first ones. Literally, there are 50b Carbon Kev hulls out there that have held up to major abuse without a spider crack.
The latest Chan's are heavy piles from what i've read. #chopgunwontgetitdun

Good luck Hornedoggy...

BTW, that idea about epoxying your floor with the paint chips is friggin genius LOL

Just now seeing this. Wow.
Wow wow wow.

I've heard the same statements concerning "who" built the first hulls. I don't think it matters who's name is on the underwear of the guy doing the work, the hull came from Trendsetterz owned by Steve, Trendsetterz/ Steve promised multiple people, myself included replacement hulls, but never followed through. As you can see, my name is on that list too.
Steve will tell you that the next guy will take care of you, but its passing the buck. I think that Steve should've made it right, but i'm tired of being pissed about it.

It really is a good hull. The problems we're experiencing suck but their not insurmountable. Just time, money and labor to repair.

Mine finally developed substantial cracks around the handle pole area last season. Kevlar doesn't allow it to fully crack, just flex, thankfully. The flat spot that the bracket mounts to was really thin. I want to say it was like .3 inches. I've added 100oz of carbon to that area to reinforce it. Probably double the thickness that was there.

I think that some of the later hulls that Trendsetterz built were really good, they definitely learned what not to do with the first ones. Literally, there are 50b Carbon Kev hulls out there that have held up to major abuse without a spider crack.
The latest Chan's are heavy piles from what i've read. #chopgunwontgetitdun

Good luck Hornedoggy...

BTW, that idea about epoxying your floor with the paint chips is friggin genius LOL
I have one of the new one and not a single crack, about a dozen lawn darts and too many pancakes to count. Still not a crack or chip. Also the hull weighs in at 94lbs with pump shoe, hood and intake grate.

Top Bottom