One-way or Duck Bill? Opinions

One-way valve or Duckbill

• Homemade One-Way Valve is the way!

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Duckbills work well on the SXR why not a Superjet?

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Just seal all the holes and let the bilges do all the work!

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Don't really care and never really thought about it!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

YAMA CAT

Catnip Junkie!
My Hubby (Steeldogg) just defoamed his waterlogged Roundnose. He wants to install a simple foolproof drain system so this doesn't happen again. He is not interested in Scuppers. He is curious about the reliability of both, people’s personal experiences good or bad. Tips on installing them, especially the don'ts. (He post himself but he doesn't have internet access at work)

oxnard111

Creative RE Purchasing
My ski I purchased already had a duckbill system. It works great. I do ride the surf and it is always in the back of my mind that I might break it off, or rip it, but so far so good.

If I could I would install the versi plug, from the pwcdoctor, but my mount system won't allow it without modification.

http://www.ejfengineering.com/EJF Engineering-PWCDOCTOR-VERSIPLUG.html

I wish the round nose had enough room to make a mount so that the plug or duckbill could dump into the pump area, but it seems like it would be too tight of a fit. I've seen someone do it on a FX-1 though.

YAMA CAT

Catnip Junkie!
That thing is pretty slick. I had a duckbill on my SXR it worked great, but like you said it's always in the back of your mind what if I lose it. A buddy of ours runs a duckbill on his Roundnose for years never had any trouble that I recall.

Last edited:

DCRocks

Wavejunkies
I put a duck bill on my B1 right before I went to Wavedaze. They did not even make it through the first day before ripping off their mounts.

I like the looks of the versi plug a lot. I am concerned it would do the same thing, but like the way it looks enough that I think I will gove one a try.

The best solution, IMO, is a new top notch bildge system, and perhaps a backup bildge as well.

Mark44

Katie's Boss
I would have to say a one way valve with enough room left around the exit to install a scupper valve if the future if needed
and while you are refoaming install drains.

Mark44

Philip Clemmons

Owner, P&P Performance
The versa plugs work great..............a definate must............no hoses to come off (stock bilge) or wiring issues (aftermarket). Salt water is hard on electrical connections..............I would ALWAYS have some type of dependable, mechincal oneway on any ski in the surf. The versaplug fits the bill...................been running mine for months with no issues............cant say the same about my bilge or duckbills (knocked off quickly)

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Hey Barb, Chris has been running the blowsion one ways for years now with no problems. Oh wait, nevermind, not gonna go there!!!!! LOL (was gonna say something about him not riding but I did not ride much last year). But the ones at lowes would work really well also.

I do ride the surf and it is always in the back of my mind that I might break it off, or rip it, but so far so good. QUOTE]

Even if you break a duck bill off, as long as you are moving, you won't sink. Same with drain plugs in a boat. We had an old jet boat, with a borke bilge pump, so for a weekend, we would get up on plain, I would crawl over the back, pull the drain plug and let all the accumulated water run out, and put the plug back in. Now if you broke the duck bill off AND you couldn't start the motor, then your in trouble.

TB

NOTHING IS EVER PROMISED
My ski I purchased already had a duckbill system. It works great. I do ride the surf and it is always in the back of my mind that I might break it off, or rip it, but so far so good.

If I could I would install the versi plug, from the pwcdoctor, but my mount system won't allow it without modification.

http://www.ejfengineering.com/EJF Engineering-PWCDOCTOR-VERSIPLUG.html

I wish the round nose had enough room to make a mount so that the plug or duckbill could dump into the pump area, but it seems like it would be too tight of a fit. I've seen someone do it on a FX-1 though.

i'd definatlly go with the plug from pwcdoctor..chris does awsome work and he has a new one that fits in a 2" pvc pipe to use as a scupper..he needs to mill the lip off of it so you can flush mount it but it does NOT leak like a normal scupper

STEELDOGG

Hi Ho Silver!
Thanks for all the replies guys. Unlike my wife, I do not have internet access at work.
I concur, duckbills seem to do what they are designed to do nicely, BUT there is always that "what if it comes off factor". I am pretty sure I will go with the Versiplug based on what little reasearch I have done and ya'lls' feedback.:Banane35:

Jetaddict

9 years to retirement...
Versi-plug all the way. They now make a flange mounted model.

Amen! Versiplug wasn't an option on the poll, but it should have been. I have been running mine for several months, including at Daytona, with zero failures and excellent drainage. Hardly need to run the bilge unless I sub it.

Jawbreaker

Rick James Edition
I think scuppers are only good in a 2 min routine for competition. IMO I hate mine cause there a PIA when I want to sit and chill on the lake. The only time they really benifit me is in competition.

A scupper for foam sounds like a good idea though...lol

Big Kahuna

Administrator
I think scuppers are only good in a 2 min routine for competition. IMO I hate mine cause there a PIA when I want to sit and chill on the lake. The only time they really benifit me is in competition.

A scupper for foam sounds like a good idea though...lol

I started running scuppers long before I competed. It not an issue, just reach your hand down and push the scupper closed!!!!!!!! or turn on the bilge for a few seconds every once in a while.......... Better yet, when your just playing around leave them open, when you are gonna say, chase the Gen Jackson, put some plugs in from the inside.

Top Bottom