Super Jet Optima Racing RN Back to Basics Build

KMAC

X-
The pics below show what I was trying to describe with the pole bracket being taller than I expected. Looking at pics of other skis the top of the bracket should either be just below or flush with the nose piece. As you can see that is not the case with mine. The tape measure is resting on the base of the bracket and not the hull so the total height of this bracket is approx. 3 1/2". Does anyone have a height measurement for the Blowsion, WDK or RRP?

P3042351.JPGP3042352.JPGP3042353.JPG

Last edited:

GIL

Power In The Hands Of Few
Can we see some more pics of the 'holder' you use at the races from time to time? LOL JK

Glad to see you have made it to the dark side. As for the 15K builds-HA-those guys have to be spending in excess of 20K !!! I got 18 tied up in my 98 RN. lol

Measuring the same way you did, my WDK bracket measures 3" and there is 1/4" that sticks up above nose piece.

Last edited:

GIL

The pics below show what I was trying to describe with the pole bracket being taller than I expected. Looking at pics of other skis the top of the bracket should either be just below or flush with the nose piece. As you can see that is not the case with mine. The tape measure is resting on the base of the bracket and not the hull so the total height of this bracket is approx. 3 1/2". Does anyone have a height measurement for the Blowsion, WDK or RRP?

View attachment 175726View attachment 175727View attachment 175728

It looks like u are measuring from the top surface of the base to the tallest part of the bracket-is this correct? I can measure my WDK billet bracket for you.

DOH-I am going to the garage now-be back in a sec...........

See bottom of post# 25.

Last edited:

KMAC

X-
Thanks Gil! You are correct, but the base on the xmetal isn't very thick since it's stainless. So overall the WDK is about 1/2" shorter. There must be more than one version of the xmetal also because I have seen others that do not stick up above the nose piece at all. The contours of the nose piece could compensate a little but not more than a 1/4".
Anyone else have a measurement for a Blowsion or RRP?

GIL

Thanks Gil! You are correct, but the base on the xmetal isn't very thick since it's stainless. So overall the WDK is about 1/2" shorter. There must be more than one version of the xmetal also because I have seen others that do not stick up above the nose piece at all. The contours of the nose piece could compensate a little but not more than a 1/4".
Anyone else have a measurement for a Blowsion or RRP?

I have compared my WDK to my neighbors RRP and they measure out the same using the measuring points you and I did.

KMAC

X-
I finally finished removing the vinyl. What a PITA :slap: Stripping old paint would have taken half as long. The glue shouldn't take too long to remove and then it's on to sanding and repairing the spot on the nose. I don't know what this is that was used as an attempt to repair the damage but it is very brittle and will be easily removed.

Attachments

• P3042356.JPG
    P3042356.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 72
  • P3042355.JPG
    P3042355.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 85

GIL

I finally finished removing the vinyl. What a PITA :slap: Stripping old paint would have taken half as long. The glue shouldn't take too long to remove and then it's on to sanding and repairing the spot on the nose. I don't know what this is that was used as an attempt to repair the damage but it is very brittle and will be easily removed.

Now your ski is looking Paul Pachowski (sp?) approved and ready to race!!! LMAO

(no dis0respect to Paul-just baggin on him a lil. lol

KMAC

X-
Well I finally had a chance to work on the SJ some more an ran into a little problem. The last bolt that I tried to remove from the pump was already loose. After trying to turn a couple of revolutions I realized the insert was loose. I was not planning to cut into the tray but I guess it's time to refoam too. Good thing because this foam is saturated! I was just prying to remove the cutout and water was coming up through the cracks. Now I see why that side of the tray had a hump next to the foothold. It looks like the area that holds the insert is partially stripped but the real issue was that the insert did not stay seated. Any recommendations on the best method to set the insert?

P3192363.JPG

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Well I finally had a chance to work on the SJ some more an ran into a little problem. The last bolt that I tried to remove from the pump was already loose. After trying to turn a couple of revolutions I realized the insert was loose. I was not planning to cut into the tray but I guess it's time to refoam too. Good thing because this foam is saturated! I was just prying to remove the cutout and water was coming up through the cracks. Now I see why that side of the tray had a hump next to the foothold. It looks like the area that holds the insert is partially stripped but the real issue was that the insert did not stay seated. Any recommendations on the best method to set the insert?

View attachment 177545

And what was I telling you to do the other day???

Kenny , do you need a lowered pole bracket ? Ive got an extra one if you need it . Its an original 24/7 stainless lowered about 1 inch and forward about 1 inch , with pivot bolt with turned down bolt head to clear hull . Worked good on the old round nose but the newer 08 + hull did not like the forward pivot point .

KMAC

X-
@ BigKahuna - I was not surprised that it was waterlogged but the pump insert was definitely an unpleasant surprise. still not sure the best way to fix that issue.

Hey Ralph, I would be but I already have a lowered Blowsion bracket on the way. Thanks anyway!

Now I have to decide what type of foam to go back with. Has anyone tried the 2 part polystyrene?

OptimaRacing

Jet zoomers
How did I build this:
012.JPG

faster than you could build a roundie? LOL, just busting balls KMAC!

Now get back to work on this build so I can show you how fat can fly!

KMAC

X-
Rub it in why don't ya! Not everyone can keep up with Maniac Mike B!

I keep taking 3 steps forward and 2 steps back on this project. I de-foamed and was preparing to re-foam when I notice a hairline crack underneath the bond rail. I started scraping around and jell coat started popping off. Then I discover this is a crack all the way through the bottom deck that was filled with some epoxy and then sprayed over with jell coat. Great job previous owner! Almost as impressive as the bondo covered with camo vinyl... On a positive note I do have some very nice parts (Thanks to Optima Racing) lying around in my garage just waiting for me to slap this hull into shape.
SAM_0758.jpg

Attachments

• SAM_0755.jpg
    SAM_0755.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 93
Top Bottom