Padding from Wallyworld - retain water?

showmepro1200

ISJWTA Member #007
Just found another place - foamforyou.com - Waterproofness appears to be a little higher with what they call "microcell foam", but it looks to be much the same product/price.

Heading for the return line at WM - sorry, Sam.

Last edited:

showmepro1200

ISJWTA Member #007
Not that I doubt the ability of the other stuff though - I think if you get a fairly dense closed-cell material you are good to go.

The place I found has different thicknesses too - I am looking at getting the 1/2" thickness for the main floor area, then also some 1/4" for in the foothold area - I know I can just sand down the 1/2" stuff but if I dont have to why do it? Will still sand the transition points down.

#ZERO

Beach Bum
I use the neoprene closed cell foam because it springs back and retains its shape better then the microcell foam.

I have 1/4", 5/8" and 3/4" in stock if you need a smaller piece for the tray and don't want to purchase a whole sheet.

Attachments

• Picture 167.jpg
    Picture 167.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 54

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
Not that I doubt the ability of the other stuff though - I think if you get a fairly dense closed-cell material you are good to go.

The place I found has different thicknesses too - I am looking at getting the 1/2" thickness for the main floor area, then also some 1/4" for in the foothold area - I know I can just sand down the 1/2" stuff but if I dont have to why do it? Will still sand the transition points down.
why would you put less foam in the foot hold area? I want to slap people when I see that.

I'm starting a new trend, more foam in the footholds!

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Dont' get it either. You're going to be landing in the footholds a lot of the time.
That said, I have a hard time getting the full amount of padding in the holds and maintaining adequate room for my feet.

You should call the foam places and order some samples. I ordered samples from a couple places and the microcell foam is so soft I don't think you can sand it. That stuff is like memory foam mattress. It takes shape and stays. The rebound is super slow.

showmepro1200

ISJWTA Member #007
why would you put less foam in the foot hold area? I want to slap people when I see that.

I'm starting a new trend, more foam in the footholds!

Its just a thought at this point, I had the idea of making a sort of depressed area around where my shoes would fit in (have seen pics of this). And also the fact that the footholds dont seem to have enough room to get 1/2" of foam AND another layer of the turf in there, AND then my foot - I could be wrong though, it just seems like it would be a very tight fit (snug is good, but really tight, not sure how I'd like that).

So, slap away man, just be ready to get it back :Banane36: :smile:

showmepro1200

ISJWTA Member #007
You should call the foam places and order some samples. I ordered samples from a couple places and the microcell foam is so soft I don't think you can sand it. That stuff is like memory foam mattress. It takes shape and stays. The rebound is super slow.

Hmmm, maybe I'll have to look a little more at the specs on the stuff - but isn't that what HT is using?

I am rethinking it, appreciate the feedback, just what I love about this place!

#ZERO

Beach Bum
The Hydro-Turf 25mm under padding is actually about 20.50mm thick and has a density of 4.5 lbs per square foot.

The regular microcell foam is about 19mm in the 3/4" size and has a density of 2.0 lbs. per square foot.

The regular neoprene 3/4" padding is about 19mm thick and has a density of 5.5lbs per square foot.

The high quality neoprene 3/4" padding is 17mm thick and has a density of 9 lbs per square foot.

If you have limited room in your footholds, I would recommended the high quality neoprene 17mm padding.

Also the neoprene pad will outlast the regular microcell foam.

The Hydro-Turf 25mm under padding is actually about 20.50mm thick and has a density of 4.5 lbs per square foot.

The regular microcell foam is about 19mm in the 3/4" size and has a density of 2.0 lbs. per square foot.

The regular neoprene 3/4" padding is about 19mm thick and has a density of 5.5lbs per square foot.

The high quality neoprene 3/4" padding is 17mm thick and has a density of 9 lbs per square foot.

If you have limited room in your footholds, I would recommended the high quality neoprene 17mm padding.

Also the neoprene pad will outlast the regular microcell foam.

Good info man!

Hmmm, maybe I'll have to look a little more at the specs on the stuff - but isn't that what HT is using?

I am rethinking it, appreciate the feedback, just what I love about this place!

Call all of the places and act like you are getting ready to buy a bunch of the stuff for your work and you are getting samples from various places. They will send you a sample of each with a price sheet. I had all of mine around here for a while. I took my little sample pack to the store and used it to judge the store mats and cost.

Also I think the hydroturf stuff is too hard. I like the yoga mat. I want super soft and squishy. Then when you add the hydroturf on top of the squishy stuff it gives it a hard feeling at first but with enough pressure it is really soft. I laid a piece of hydroturf and the yoga mat on the floor with turf over it and jumped down on my knees the yoga mat is a lot nicer. Soft enough to take a nap on. But I am only 150 pounds it might be different if I was closer to the 200 mark

Last edited:

Foximus

CFL Cheapass.
I have both mat's that walmart offers on my boat double layered. The blue $6 camping mat is very dense and holds up well, that is the bottom layer of my kicker. For the top layer I have the much much much softer $20 blue yoga mat. They are both sold in the sporting goods section and when combined together they make for an amaazingly soft ride. Anyone who has riden my ski says its the most comfy kicker ever.

I used the softer yoga mat to do the entire tray though

I used the light blue camping mat from Wal-Mart for the tray last year and so far it has worked great. Unless someone comes up with a good reason not to, I'll be using it on another ski this year.

And not to hi-jack... but what's up with HydroTurf... can't find the B-stock on their website anymore? Did they realize nobody wanted to pay full price? LOL

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
but what's up with HydroTurf... can't find the B-stock on their website anymore? Did they realize nobody wanted to pay full price?

This has been discussed in a very recent thread.

Top Bottom