Surfriding Pole options and thoughts....

I'd like to try and start a real discussion on handle pole options. I understand that lots of you guys have a pole sponsor, and I would love to hear your input if it is something more than "ABC pole is the best."

I rode for UMI for a long time, and have one on my current ski, but I'm probably going to be putting together a new boat some time this year, and I'd like to hear what you guys think of the current options.

The UMI poles have always done pretty well by me, I broke a few but overall they were fairly solid and are easy to run a spring. My biggest complaint with them is that because there is no foam, and especially if you are running a spring, they will act like an anchor instead of righting the boat like a stock pole does.

Adjustability is cool, I think I'm pretty sure I know what I want as far as length goes, but it is nice to be able to change that. Of course if you run a riser bar, there is a few inches of adjustability there alone, and with the steering system options around now, I guess you can get another few inches either way. So maybe adjustability is not such a big deal.

I kind of like the idea of a composite pole that could be foamed like an OEM pole. I also like the idea of maybe running a stock pole with Cold Fusions billet parts on the top and bottom of the pole.

I'm also pretty ignorant as to what all is out there these days.

Maybe all this has been covered and I missed it, so if that is the case just direct me to that thread.

I appreciate the help.

onlyFX-1

Jace Forest...BRAP!
I think ATP makes a composite pole that is like a stock one that could have foam in it. Other than that I think stock with cold fusion ends would be your best bet. Most poles now don't have foam so they won't try and right the ski.

My personal favorite pole is a X-metal one, I have only broke one in 4 years of owning them and they replaced it for free. I personally think they are the sleekest pole on the market

Pretty cool that they took care of you when you broke the X Metal. That is a nice sleek looking pole. I'll look in to the ATP.

Price wise the X Metal seems to be a pretty solid deal. But can you run a spring with them?

Last edited:
Walmintons makes a carbon pole and so does the German guy on here, I think Kawasytler? I've never cracked a pole, and you go so huge I don't what the best option is for you. If the pole does'nt break then its the next part in the chain. You know where you like your pole length set so I'm not sure adjustable will help, but if thats what youre looking for it's pretty hard to beat the XMetal,Titan, Bun etc. Good luck. You might want to call Jeff Curry at WDK,I think something new might be in the works over there and he could probably build a custom(extra strong) one for ya.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Walmintons makes a carbon pole and so does the German guy on here, I think Kawasytler? I've never cracked a pole, and you go so huge I don't what the best option is for you. If the pole does'nt break then its the next part in the chain. You know where you like your pole length set so I'm not sure adjustable will help, but if thats what youre looking for it's pretty hard to beat the XMetal,Titan, Bun etc. Good luck. You might want to call Jeff Curry at WDK,I think something new might be in the works over there and he could probably build a custom(extra strong) one for ya.

The pole that Kawastyler makes is indeed carbon, but it does not have foam in it.

I think ATP makes a composite pole that is like a stock one that could have foam in it. Other than that I think stock with cold fusion ends would be your best bet. Most poles now don't have foam so they won't try and right the ski.

My personal favorite pole is a X-metal one, I have only broke one in 4 years of owning them and they replaced it for free. I personally think they are the sleekest pole on the market

I love my Xmetal too. However, did they replace it because your a sponsored Xscream rider? Not trying to start chit, just want to know their real warranty, in case I break mine.

The issue I have with the foam is that you can't breathe thro the pole, I never get water in now.
I've just fitted a spring with 2 breather tubes, fiddly but not too bad and its so much better instead of having to be so uber tight

The issue I have with the foam is that you can't breathe thro the pole, I never get water in now.
I've just fitted a spring with 2 breather tubes, fiddly but not too bad and its so much better instead of having to be so uber tight

So does your boat just breathe through the pole?

I'd like to try and start a real discussion on handle pole options. I understand that lots of you guys have a pole sponsor, and I would love to hear your input if it is something more than "ABC pole is the best."

I rode for UMI for a long time, and have one on my current ski, but I'm probably going to be putting together a new boat some time this year, and I'd like to hear what you guys think of the current options.

The UMI poles have always done pretty well by me, I broke a few but overall they were fairly solid and are easy to run a spring. My biggest complaint with them is that because there is no foam, and especially if you are running a spring, they will act like an anchor instead of righting the boat like a stock pole does.

Adjustability is cool, I think I'm pretty sure I know what I want as far as length goes, but it is nice to be able to change that. Of course if you run a riser bar, there is a few inches of adjustability there alone, and with the steering system options around now, I guess you can get another few inches either way. So maybe adjustability is not such a big deal.

I kind of like the idea of a composite pole that could be foamed like an OEM pole. I also like the idea of maybe running a stock pole with Cold Fusions billet parts on the top and bottom of the pole.

I'm also pretty ignorant as to what all is out there these days.

Maybe all this has been covered and I missed it, so if that is the case just direct me to that thread.

I appreciate the help.

thats always been my take...

combine them..even better

...a superlight composite pole, with aftermarket shape/lines to get rid of the fugly bend at the top of the pole. Use a stock style top and bottm piece.........the top and bottom either aluminum or even titanium to minimize weight up top

Last edited:

sjetrider

615 Freeriders are addicted to T1 madness.
freak1.JPGfreak2.JPGfreak1.JPGfreak2.JPGI have seen x-metals with springs (Tricky1 had it on his old wammer hull) but it aint easy at all. Barely room for the through bolt (as its designed for pinch bolts) .
You know as well as anyone Ross about the shortened OEMS, awesome,, light and cheap but they break PERIOD. If the billet CF ends were affordable I think Toby could remake the OEM center in thick, strong carbon. Then you could run the foam as well. Of course as short as we are running poles now days there wont be much in there.
There really is not reason you cannot put a small tube inside the heavy RRP pole tubes for cables and pour foam in the tubes. It will get heavier though.
to me adjustability is key, the RRP pole I have now I have had on 3 boats and changed the length all 3 times. Unfortunately it does not match the boat its on now very well (shape wise)

Pretty cool that they took care of you when you broke the X Metal. That is a nice sleek looking pole. I'll look in to the ATP.

Price wise the X Metal seems to be a pretty solid deal. But can you run a spring with them?

sjetrider

615 Freeriders are addicted to T1 madness.
Cold Fushion Base $299.00, Top Piece $399.00 so $700 deep before you get bushings and center piece as well as a $50 tube of plexus to join them all together. Once you glue it you are there, no adjustability. I really like the concept but pricing wise its CRAZY IMO.

Top Bottom