"Pre-filters"

I have used proks,tau cetis,old style flat metal forgot name and OEM's

For us the problem is horrible thus we are at high altitude so if we open up with aftermarkets to get more air we get more water, the outawears hold the water too long, so I decided to use OEM's and remove one/two layers of mesh and the results are great !!

But I am lacking Risers for a "reasonable price"

I have used proks,tau cetis,old style flat metal forgot name and OEM's

For us the problem is horrible thus we are at high altitude so if we open up with aftermarkets to get more air we get more water, the outawears hold the water too long, so I decided to use OEM's and remove one/two layers of mesh and the results are great !!

But I am lacking Risers for a "reasonable price"

get a piece of 1" aluminum and drill 5 holes in it. :dunno:

Motorheads5

Livin the generation gap
After seeing all the sand in the bildges of the ski's at surf slam it made me wonder if that was what outerwear's were designed for. On day 2 Matt_E lost his motor but he also sank his ski 3 times the first day and I was thinking sand ingestion was the problem. Evidentley it was a crank bearing failure that was not caused by sand IDK! We don't have sand here to speak of on the lake or the ocean. I really never gave it a thought for them keeping out the sand before this.

Kalwren

650 Conversion Ski
After seeing all the sand in the bildges of the ski's at surf slam it made me wonder if that was what outerwear's were designed for. On day 2 Matt_E lost his motor but he also sank his ski 3 times the first day and I was thinking sand ingestion was the problem. Evidentley it was a crank bearing failure that was not caused by sand IDK! We don't have sand here to speak of on the lake or the ocean. I really never gave it a thought for them keeping out the sand before this.

Interesting point. I didn't consider sand either, but sand is EVERYWHERE here in Florida.

As for using a stock intake - I don't have one. I'm already cash into this set up, so I figure another $15 or so is just fine.

Are there other brands of Pre-filters that are reasonable? Something other than Outerwears?

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
I don't think it's nearly as big of problem as you think it is, Craig. :dunno: (The sand)

I looked over my crank and engine internals very closely and did not find any sand.

Last edited:

Motorheads5

Livin the generation gap
haha I figured you would take offense instantly to that, as usual. Matt everyone had sand in there bildge hell you had sand all over your spark plug's for christ sakes lol. We were helping Mark with his ski after they finally retrieved it and he had sand in his bildge also. Matt it is ok it doesn't make you a bad guy or incapable. BTW those waves that would break and they were all brown had sand in them lmao

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
So is it fair to say that surf riders should be seeing all sorts of engine problems due to sand ingestion? :dunno: :biggrin:
Was this your first time on the beach?

I lost around 250 rpm with these pre-filters installed but they do keep the sand out.

Maybe it's just the rubber seal leaking?

i thik he actually said get a new hood and seal lol.........

mine are all good, this was just a conversation from awhile ago......in fact, he didnt even say it to me...I heard him yell it across the shop in the backround when I was talking with Radney :jester:

SUPERJET-113

GASKETS FOR CHAMP BRAP!
Site Supporter
After seeing all the sand in the bildges of the ski's at surf slam it made me wonder if that was what outerwear's were designed for.

You are right..
They were originally designed for keeping dust out of dirt bikes, quads, etc k&n a/m type filters. Then some "genius" :trink26: decided to market them as a water repelling apparatus for watercraft a/m flame arrestors.

Last edited:

QuickMick

API 1104 AWS CWI
Site Supporter
I run the marine K&N FAs with outerwears and have had no issues at all.

Same here on my B1. No problems

On the SJ I have a Cone filter with outerwear. I rinse off the motor and it keeps water out of the carb. I see the water beading off. Dont forget you CAN Scotch Guard these things once and a while.

As for performance, I dont think it hurts much if any. Oh wait I remember all the racers on this site, not many Rec. Riders.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Outerwears work fine for a race ski. You do have to adjust your carbs a bit due to restricted air flow. For what most of use are doing, they are not gonna work, race ski's do not dive underwater and suck in gallons of water.

QuickMick

API 1104 AWS CWI
Site Supporter
Outerwears work fine for a race ski. You do have to adjust your carbs a bit due to restricted air flow. For what most of use are doing, they are not gonna work, race ski's do not dive underwater and suck in gallons of water.

Boy did you miss my point.

Top Bottom