RICKTER talk

I would recommend gluing or installing a mesh or some sort of strainer on the inside side of the tube. Even a piece of tie wrap could get stuck between the ball.
@Dfan1 I am not sure if versiplug is a brand or type of a one way valve, but I meant the scupper made by OVP as shown above. I run it in my Edge and it is awesome.

I actually left the scupper flap on the back intact and slide this in from inside the engine bay.

Doesn't there need to be enough water pushing against the ball to seal the valve on a one way valve? If the scupper is left installed it may leak but not provide the nessassay water flow to seat the ball in the one way valve therefore, allowing water into your hull. Leaving the scupper intact would only protect against if your scupper flap fell off completely or was leaking enough to seat the ball. It might be better to remove the scupper and allow the ball to seat when the ski is at rest... Just a thought. (I thought of doing the same thing but decided against it for this reason)

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Doesn't there need to be enough water pushing against the ball to seal the valve on a one way valve? If the scupper is left installed it may leak but not provide the nessassay water flow to seat the ball in the one way valve therefore, allowing water into your hull. Leaving the scupper intact would only protect against if your scupper flap fell off completely or was leaking enough to seat the ball. It might be better to remove the scupper and allow the ball to seat when the ski is at rest... Just a thought. (I thought of doing the same thing but decided against it for this reason)

That is a good point.

MarkWalker

Site Supporter

I installed mine as a back-up, just in case the scupper flap tears off. Cheap insurance

Has anybody installed a Versa Plug Max in their Scupper?
It looks like some guy in Europe did it , thought the Scupper in my Rickter is close to 2.5 inches. and the
Versa Plug is 2.

Haha that was my ski install. I bought my scupper ball from elprofessor in France, but im sure someone in usa would stock them. install was easy. Still need to add the mesh idea to the inside tho to stop the ball being trapped on anything, but its kept my hull dry. Heard to many horror stories with the flaps coming off and inspecting mine it was all cracked.

This does make sense but mine is installed as more of a backup as @winterstick is using his. If my ski is sitting in the water there is enough leaking in past the scupper flap to seat the ball. I've let it sit in the water for quite some time to test this. Bilge pump used to run every minute or so before adding the ball valve. After adding it the ball valve it only runs if the ski was laying upside down.

I only have it pushed in a few inches past the bulkhead. Maybe the water getting past the flap and sitting in the scupper tube is enough to seat the ball. This is my experience, and again what you said makes sense to me. This took me all of a few minutes to install and I didn't have to mess with the flap.

Have any of you installed a magnet behind the scupper?

I ll be doing it since they always Leak. Just a bolt throught the flap for the metal and a neodymium glued inside the tube, should work fine..

Have any of you installed a magnet behind the scupper?

I ll be doing it since they always Leak. Just a bolt throught the flap for the metal and a neodymium glued inside the tube, should work fine..

All in all flap scupper is a bad design for its purpose. Rubber tears prematurely from repeated landings of the back of the ski and eventually gets torn off completely. Ball type scupper seals 99.9%. Leaving the flap is more of a liability than extra insurance if you have the ball scupper too IMO..
It happend to me a couple times when droped small hardware in the engine compartment gets stuck in between the ball, so strainer on the inside end of the scupper tube is highly recommended.

Anyone have the TI rickter scupper? I was on a Xfs this weekend with no bilge in big surf and made it out ok. Ball scupper would be much safer than the flap I reckon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6ae7e47b551cfef344031d3c31b345bc.jpg

I decided to go with the thrust innovations ball scupper

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Looks good, how hard was it to uninstall the Rickter flapper and install the Thrust ball scupper?
I used a screwdriver to pry it off around the edge and I glued the ti cover on with JB Weld marine.
The piece that slide into the tube and the hole plate fit like a glove when they're outside of the hole but when you install the piece in the tube it doesn't match up flush to the whole cover and it has a little gap left so I just use some black silicone to fill in that gap

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

If the grate ever fell off, would the ball fall out? Is the grate the only thing keeping the ball in place?

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

If the grate ever fell off, would the ball fall out? Is the grate the only thing keeping the ball in place?

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

The only thing holding the scupper flap on are a coupler similar bolts.

I just ordered one from thrust to replace my leaky scupper.

Top Bottom