Riding with a Helmet...affecting balance??

Woody

Need to save my money!!
So my friend broke his neck riding at the adirondack jetski club ride...and i decided that it was time for me to start wearing my helmet that i bought for daytona.

now...i'm sure it just takes a little bit of getting used to, but for some reason when i wear it my equilibrium is thrown off....i go off waves sideways and randomly fall etc.

does anybody elses balance get thrown off when they wear a helmet or is it just me not used to it yet? i'm wearing a thor dirtbike helmet...

Woody

Need to save my money!!
tried a barrel roll...he went the ski didn't. ski fell into his head and compacted his spine and broke the first vertebrae....or something along those lines. he's ok no paralysis thank god but gets you thinking about wearing a helmet

Its all about the surf!
When I first started wearing a helmet I wore my dirt bike helmet. Its a little heavier than a lot of the helmet options today. Just takes a while to get used to, and you get used to it pretty quick. The blocking of my periferal vision actually bothered me the most, now when I ride with out I helmet I feel weird. I wear a Bell Bellistic in the surf but I still wear an MX helmet when I race bouys.

Waternut

Customizing addict
Don't think a helmet would have been much help there, unless you plan on wearing a neck collar with it. Of course, a helmet is a good idea anyways.

Actually the helmet would've because it would've cracked and taken some of the blow which would've reduced the amount of spinal compression. Just wanted to point that out in case someone was thinking that a helmet won't do them any good. My biggest fear right now is slamming my face onto the ski and knocking out teeth and/or breaking something.

I've got a pro rider helmet and it's pretty good especially for the price. Vision isn't blocked too much and it's fairly cool. However, today it was 100° with 90° water and I'm debating cutting the screens out of the vents for better air flow.

NJrider

Huck it!
I rock the 661 helmets. After getting use to it I never ride the inlet without one. My advice is to take off the visor. Yeah you will most likely look like a fool but it beats gettin your neck ripped back from water catching the visor.

DAG

Yes, my balls tickled from that landing
Riding with a Helmet affects my balance, yes.

i'll toss one on if im trying new shizzt, but i hate all helmets no matter which sport it is,, an extra pound on the top of your head kills your center of gravity. I swear i get more hurt more anyways when i do wear them... go figure.

Last edited:

Midlake Crisis

Site Supporter
I'm with DAG. I have been wearing one trying to learn barrel rolls. It does change my balance but I was glad I had it on. I also wore it the one time I tried to ride in the surf but the ski wouldn't run long enough for it to matter. Oh yeah, I also wear one in Winter just for the warmth.
Basically, only when I really think I am likely to get seriously hurt without one.

Just last ride, somehow my ski ran over my own head hard. Luckily I was wearing my 661 helmet. I actually like the visor to block spray or when doing subs.
I'd say give yourself a chance to get used to it and soon you'll feel naked without it.

SXIPro

JM781 Big Bore
I tried riding with a full face mx style helmet and hated it. Too heavy and I lost too much peripheral vision. I wear this now. Very light and I can see better than with the mx ones.

Attachments

• helmet.jpg
    helmet.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 36
i wore i helmet the first time i went riding after my concussion. When i took off i couldnt see a crosswave coming at about 35 and i hit it knocked me sideways and my helmet wanted to come off my face but the strap stopped it and it hurt pretty badly. and the visor is like an air dam. dont look up.

jjchambers

got me my braaapp!!
I tried riding with a full face mx style helmet and hated it. Too heavy and I lost too much peripheral vision. I wear this now. Very light and I can see better than with the mx ones.

What is that and where did you get it?

J

Top Bottom