Custom/Hybrid rok-r ride reviews please.

I have ridden the ROK-R on multiple occasions in different stages of R&D. I weight 220lbs with pretty much no flat water flip experience, I have only ridden the ski without the hull extension. On an open water start the ski rides nose high for me, It can be controlled, with some throttle control and weigh distribution the nose comes down, open water starts take more effort than on a longer ski. ounce you get the ski on plane which doesn't take long it rides very nice. at higher speeds it takes more effort than a SJ to keep the porposing to a minimum. what the ski requires in additional effort compared to a SJ it makes up for in playfulness and allows for the progression of ones aerial's without the need for a large motor, even a big motor in a non rockered hull is just that, a super powerful ski that doesn't have much pop. I have watched different peoples that weigh anywhere from 150-260lbs ride it (without extension) the guys that are around 170lbs or less have no issues with the nose high open water starts. As for handling... the ski handles great allows for a stable quick button hook turn to get back to the setup wake. carves nicely without darting or unexpected jerks to one side or another. I could chase boats down to hit wakes (this does require weight/throttle control to keep porposing to a minimum again this is with no extension) the ski breaks loose like a pre 08 SJ. 180 & 360 slides are relatively the same maybe a little easier than on a pre 08 SJ with d-cut plate and aggressive grate. the ski flat spins (aerial 180-360) super easy this is due to the amount of "pop" the hull design offers. the ski is seriously like a skateboard in that when you jump/olie the nose comes up fast the rear needs to be pulled up in order to do a level "straight air" other wise the ski will start a flip rotation and you'll probably land on your butt. kind of like a SJ but its exaggerated with the ROK-R. This hull will flip with a limited 701. The demo hull which is heavier than production models a 3" setback motor (which I don't recommend), wave blaster water box in back of hull, 9.5L kart tank, stock ignition, single carb, blaster b pipe, 190 compression,144 mag pump, 10/16 hooker, no intake grate, stock gp 800 exit nozzle and cats trim, which you really don't need. I was able to nose them in on the first few tries. I couldn't get it plate to plate but that is my bad, my flat water skills where what was preventing me from a plate to plate flip. The hull wants to pop out of the water without having the feeling of forcing it to do so, for Arial maneuvers it is more pop and weight position VS. a SJ pop and muscle. basically its a pretty awesome hull. after ridding it I pretty much hounded Jeff to make an extension because I know with the extension it will fix the nose high open water start "issue" for bigger guys and allow for a porpoise free high speed which isn't really needed as this is more of a freestyle ski than a wreck boat. I'm confident with the extension it will be a pretty sweet surf ski as well, In my opinion this hull is rad.
The weather here has been cold and wet and I haven't had a chance to ride the hull with the extension or scoop grate but even without the extension/grate it is still a blast to ride. With the addition of the scoop grate and extension it can only be a better ski than what I have tested and what I have tested was fun.
I have spoken with two people (both are smaller guys 170 lbs range) that have ridden or own a XFS/XFR and have ridden the ROK-R they say the ride is similar but the ROK-R flips with less effort.
Hope this helps.......

I have ridden the ROK-R on multiple occasions in different stages of R&D. I weight 220lbs with pretty much no flat water flip experience, I have only ridden the ski without the hull extension. On an open water start the ski rides nose high for me, It can be controlled, with some throttle control and weigh distribution the nose comes down, open water starts take more effort than on a longer ski. ounce you get the ski on plane which doesn't take long it rides very nice. at higher speeds it takes more effort than a SJ to keep the porposing to a minimum. what the ski requires in additional effort compared to a SJ it makes up for in playfulness and allows for the progression of ones aerial's without the need for a large motor, even a big motor in a non rockered hull is just that, a super powerful ski that doesn't have much pop. I have watched different peoples that weigh anywhere from 150-260lbs ride it (without extension) the guys that are around 170lbs or less have no issues with the nose high open water starts. As for handling... the ski handles great allows for a stable quick button hook turn to get back to the setup wake. carves nicely without darting or unexpected jerks to one side or another. I could chase boats down to hit wakes (this does require weight/throttle control to keep porposing to a minimum again this is with no extension) the ski breaks loose like a pre 08 SJ. 180 & 360 slides are relatively the same maybe a little easier than on a pre 08 SJ with d-cut plate and aggressive grate. the ski flat spins (aerial 180-360) super easy this is due to the amount of "pop" the hull design offers. the ski is seriously like a skateboard in that when you jump/olie the nose comes up fast the rear needs to be pulled up in order to do a level "straight air" other wise the ski will start a flip rotation and you'll probably land on your butt. kind of like a SJ but its exaggerated with the ROK-R. This hull will flip with a limited 701. The demo hull which is heavier than production models a 3" setback motor (which I don't recommend), wave blaster water box in back of hull, 9.5L kart tank, stock ignition, single carb, blaster b pipe, 190 compression,144 mag pump, 10/16 hooker, no intake grate, stock gp 800 exit nozzle and cats trim, which you really don't need. I was able to nose them in on the first few tries. I couldn't get it plate to plate but that is my bad, my flat water skills where what was preventing me from a plate to plate flip. The hull wants to pop out of the water without having the feeling of forcing it to do so, for Arial maneuvers it is more pop and weight position VS. a SJ pop and muscle. basically its a pretty awesome hull. after ridding it I pretty much hounded Jeff to make an extension because I know with the extension it will fix the nose high open water start "issue" for bigger guys and allow for a porpoise free high speed which isn't really needed as this is more of a freestyle ski than a wreck boat. I'm confident with the extension it will be a pretty sweet surf ski as well, In my opinion this hull is rad.
The weather here has been cold and wet and I haven't had a chance to ride the hull with the extension or scoop grate but even without the extension/grate it is still a blast to ride. With the addition of the scoop grate and extension it can only be a better ski than what I have tested and what I have tested was fun.
I have spoken with two people (both are smaller guys 170 lbs range) that have ridden or own a XFS/XFR and have ridden the ROK-R they say the ride is similar but the ROK-R flips with less effort.
Hope this helps.......
Finally a actual ride review and not people that are bitchin.

So I had a chance to ride the same ski with the extension plate on it. (full length plate with 1"-2" cut of the back of the plate). there is defiantly a noticeable difference with the "full length" plate. The nose high open water starts are a thing of the past. I was able to pin the throttle with little to no porposing, very little effort to do so. I am very impressed with the handling and all around rid ability of the hull with the plate. It was fun before but now it is less effort to ride and just as fun. The ski still has mad pop and rails/carves very nice. It slashes and slides a little easier with the longer plate. If you are around 200 lbs I would suggest the longer plate/extension. if you are on the lighter side the short plate would be ideal for flat water and the extended would be more for surf. I plan on having a few plates to dial in for my riding style. One short or D-cut plate for flat water and one longer plate for surf.
You can expect a ROK-R build thead from me in the near future.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 53
Top Bottom