Super Jet Running out of ideas... Superjet issue

Edit: Ski is now fixed and rips. ATP Epic CDI was bad. OEM cdi swapped in and issue is gone.

Ski ran perfect all last summer until the last ride. Ski started bogging down and sounded like it was running on one cylinder. At full throttle it is very limited and only goes about 30mph. It is NOT bouncing off the rev limiter. When cruising around 15-20 mph steady throttle it will sporadically choke and then catch itself back up. Out of water on the stand it does not run properly either. When revving and holding down full throttle out of water it won't rev up to high rpm's.

videos:
video 1
video 2
video 3

701 62t
170-170 compression (ATP head)
ATP Epic ignition
B-Pipe
135/70 jets
1.5 n/s
1.5 turns highs/1 turn lows
Stock F/A w/ 1 screen each

things i have tried/fixed:

- tested carb popoff, 40psi both carbs
- bypassed fuel filter & selector
- brand new OEM s/s
- two different sets of carbs
- new fuel line,
- tank vent is good and working
- OCD oem rebuilt coil
- swapped and tested w/ OEM cdi
- checked reeds and look okay
- tested stator

stator results:
charge coil - 527 ohms / 68 volts while cranking
pulse coil - 14 ohms / 3.4 volts while cranking

Last edited:

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
My first thought was the epic, many have been down that rabbit hole before, but you said you swapped to oem cdi. Is oem cdi still in it? Or the epic?

Next would be to try to different stator on electrical side or new charge coil on yours. Also consider a leak down test on motor.

My first thought was the epic, many have been down that rabbit hole before, but you said you swapped to oem cdi. Is oem cdi still in it? Or the epic?

Next would be to try to different stator on electrical side or new charge coil on yours. Also consider a leak down test on motor.

I reconnected the epic since the oem cdi didn't fix the issue. I forgot to mention when running the ski out of water on the trailer yesterday I was getting a bunch of exhaust smoke in the engine bay. Could not pinpoint where but it appears from front by waterbox. I already had the waterbox out and found no holes and didn't hear any rattling inside. Hoses are also good and everything was very tight. Would a bad waterbox cause the ski to run like this even while out of the water?

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
I reconnected the epic since the oem cdi didn't fix the issue. I forgot to mention when running the ski out of water on the trailer yesterday I was getting a bunch of exhaust smoke in the engine bay. Could not pinpoint where but it appears from front by waterbox. I already had the waterbox out and found no holes and didn't hear any rattling inside. Hoses are also good and everything was very tight. Would a bad waterbox cause the ski to run like this even while out of the water?
If the smoke is coming from inside, then you have an exhaust leak and need to find it. An exhaust leak or intermitent exh leak will cause all kinds of running issues. If on the water and you have skills, crack the hood and see if that makes it run better.

If the smoke is coming from inside, then you have an exhaust leak and need to find it. An exhaust leak or intermitent exh leak will cause all kinds of running issues. If on the water and you have skills, crack the hood and see if that makes it run better.
Def sounds like exhaust leak, all the symptoms.

I found this old post and this is exactly what my ski is doing. Unfortunately they said it was the primer causing the issues but I do not have a primer or choke.

It runs identical out of the water without the hood on, I figured exhaust leak would only be an issue with the hood on.
Yep if it runs the same with hood off it's not exhaust, easy to test for sheared flywheel. Take a sharpy and draw a line on flywheel to case, then crank it. If the lines dont match up your ring gear may be slipping. Had this happen a few times.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Bypass the primer if your have one on there. I had issues years ago, had Tricky helping me, he finally noticed it. Air getting sucked into the fuel lines from the Primer "T".

Bypass the primer if your have one on there. I had issues years ago, had Tricky helping me, he finally noticed it. Air getting sucked into the fuel lines from the Primer "T".

Sorry, just updated original post, i dont have a primer and i also tried bypassing petcock and fuel filter directly from tank to carb. same result

Yep if it runs the same with hood off it's not exhaust, easy to test for sheared flywheel. Take a sharpy and draw a line on flywheel to case, then crank it. If the lines dont match up your ring gear may be slipping. Had this happen a few times.
Can you explain this test some? I’m confused how this works. If you crank the motor, doesn’t the flywheel spin, thus it wouldn’t line up with where you made the mark on the case? Sorry if this is a dumb question

Can you explain this test some? I’m confused how this works. If you crank the motor, doesn’t the flywheel spin, thus it wouldn’t line up with where you made the mark on the case? Sorry if this is a dumb question
I didnt type that out well sorry. So not really looking for a sheared key, cause all that does is index the flywheel. It doesnt hold it in place. What you are testing for is the ring gear spinning on the flywheel. So draw a line on flywheel and onto ring gear. Then put cover back on and bump the starter. If the lines no longer match up your ring gear is moving on the flywheel, causes all sorts of issues.

Top Bottom