Super Jet Running out of ideas... Superjet issue

Check the Ignition Coil Wires.

Maybe broken near the Plug Boots. Can trim back Wires a bit and install new Crimp Terminals.

Perform a Primary and Secondary Resistance test on the Ignition Coils. Small Wires (Orange and Black) should read close to Zero Ohms. Secondary (Plug Wires) should read around 3500 to 4700 Ohms steady. Flex the Plug Wires along their length to see if readings change. A change would indicate a wire break.

Or can just swap in a Known Good Ignition Coil.

Would also try a different Battery. Make sure the Battery Negative Cable is clean and tight since it's the Ground Wire to the Battery for the Engine.

I can test them but I'm almost certain it isn't coil since I already changed that out for a OCD rebuilt w/ new wires, plugs etc. from JM. Battery is relatively new and ground is tight, I ground to stator bolt so I know it's good.

Did you check fuel pickup to make sure it isn’t partially blocked?
Its tougher to check with a cold fusion tank but I am going to go through that this week. Edit: tried with on and reserve and ran the same on both so doubting its pickups. Also going to try a different set of reeds. I’ll report back.

Last edited:
Neither were stuck open when I took the carbs apart to clean them. Also didn’t stick while performing multiple pop off tests.

carbs are synced. Triple checked
Check that the butterflies stay aligned under load, I’ve seen where they “twist on the shaft coupler” when ski in water and throttle pulled, returning to correct position on the scissor stand - took a while to find that, ski ran fine out of water but given a handful under load it dropped onto one cyl as one butterfly closed

Check that the butterflies stay aligned under load, I’ve seen where they “twist on the shaft coupler” when ski in water and throttle pulled, returning to correct position on the scissor stand - took a while to find that, ski ran fine out of water but given a handful under load it dropped onto one cyl as one butterfly closed
I will check that but the ski runs the same out of water and in water

Have you taken the head off and checked the pistons? You say it sounded like it was running in 1 cylinder, well maybe it is. I had a similar situation and the bottom half of one of the pistons was missing. Fortunately the pieces must have all exited out the exhaust, and replacing the piston did the trick.

Have you taken the head off and checked the pistons? You say it sounded like it was running in 1 cylinder, well maybe it is. I had a similar situation and the bottom half of one of the pistons was missing. Fortunately the pieces must have all exited out the exhaust, and replacing the piston did the trick.

would it still have exactly 170 comp in both holes?

Jcary85

Site Supporter
Have you had the front cover off? Checked the ground wire? The only ground to the Ebox is going into the front cover. Maybe temporarily try a secondary ground from battery to Ebox to see if that’s the issue. Would likely be more intermittent though.

would it still have exactly 170 comp in both holes?

I seem to recall my compression being the same in each cylinder as well. Think it was apx 175 psi (girdled head). Which was misleading to say the least, given that half of 1 piston was missing. I know removing the head is a pain since you need to replace the gasket, but given all you have tried so far, you may be at the point to take a look inside the motor :-(

I seem to recall my compression being the same in each cylinder as well. Think it was apx 175 psi (girdled head). Which was misleading to say the least, given that half of 1 piston was missing. I know removing the head is a pain since you need to replace the gasket, but given all you have tried so far, you may be at the point to take a look inside the motor :-(

I checked the thread on my issue and the readings were 150 and 160 psi... so not quite the same.... faulty memory.. arrrg...
( Running on 1.5 cylinders

Any reason why one side would be much darker than the other?0AD6AC15-CF92-44F0-8270-C2F271DB626F.jpeg

Top Bottom