Super Jet Running out of ideas... Superjet issue

I really think you should try a different coil. I had a really similar experience once when mine started to go bad; almost like it was hitting a rev limiter. I know you said it has a refurb in there, but if you have a spare, I would try it out. Also it sounds like its falling on its face off idle. Another thing I noticed, might be unrelated, but when you were revving it on the second video, that exhaust looks like straight up oil being dumped onto the ground around 8 or 9 seconds or so, might just be the resolution of the video or something.

I really think you should try a different coil. I had a really similar experience once when mine started to go bad; almost like it was hitting a rev limiter. I know you said it has a refurb in there, but if you have a spare, I would try it out. Also it sounds like its falling on its face off idle. Another thing I noticed, might be unrelated, but when you were revving it on the second video, that exhaust looks like straight up oil being dumped onto the ground around 8 or 9 seconds or so, might just be the resolution of the video or something.
This is actually the 3rd coil I’ve tried in it since the issue began so I’m like 99.9% sure it’s not that. The black stuff out of the exhaust is pretty normal for my ski I guess I could say. It’s always done that. Also in this tank I’m running quicksilver oil so that may be contributing to the darkness. I do think the ski is way too rich but I haven’t figured out why yet (ran perfect with carbs set the same all summer). I have a few things I’m going to try this week. Next step is pull the motor and leak down test, then pull head off.

That looks like exhaust is getting in your intake on that cylinder? Even more more odd is, your carb dumps fuel there and you have no fuel wash..

Did you ever get a chance to try a new stator like others have mentioned or a set of new spark plugs.
Any idea what that could mean or be caused by?

I have not tried a new stator yet but I have tried new plugs. Both plugs are wet and black when pulled. When I pull the plugs there is actually oil/fuel that sits on the dome tops that I have to wipe off..

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
I know you pulled the reeds and visually inspected them however bad reeds don't always show up that way, take the flame arrestor off and crank up the ski, now hold your hand over the carb about an inch or so away , rev up the ski, if you feel anything coming back up through the carb the reeds are bad. I have run across this several times on Yamahas with stock reeds, visual inspection was fine in both cases, ski would not get out of its own way in the water , new reeds fixed the issues both times.

Time to pull the engine out, replace the crank and bore it .25 over.
Pulling motor next
I know you pulled the reeds and visually inspected them however bad reeds don't always show up that way, take the flame arrestor off and crank up the ski, now hold your hand over the carb about an inch or so away , rev up the ski, if you feel anything coming back up through the carb the reeds are bad. I have run across this several times on Yamahas with stock reeds, visual inspection was fine in both cases, ski would not get out of its own way in the water , new reeds fixed the issues both times.
I’ve tried two sets of reeds now. First ones were carbon petals and was hoping that was it, replaced with oem and same results.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
I know you pulled the reeds and visually inspected them however bad reed don't always show u that way, take the flame arrestor off and crank up the ski, now hold your hand over the carb about an inch or so away , rev up the ski, if you feel anything coming back up through the carb the reeds are bad. I have run across this several time on Yamahas with stock reeds, visual inspection was fine in both cases, ski would get out of its own way in the water , new reds fixed the issues both times.

Pulling motor next

I’ve tried two sets of reeds now. First ones were carbon petals and was hoping that was it, replaced with oem and same results.
Get a 300sx

Top Bottom