Other shipping problem- Damaged motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

norcal ex

X-H2
I recently purchased a motor from a board member. Pictures were sent to me of the motor which was in usable shape. I received the motor and the tote had zip ties around the top to secure the lid (good). When I opened the lid there were a couple pieces of cardboard on top of the motor just sitting there. (seller shipped with spark plugs in which is a BIG no no). When I took the motor out there was ONE (yes, ONE) single piece of cardboard on the bottom. There are very clear marks on the bottom of the tote from where the motor had been sitting directly on it. There was no foam or towels or anything. Just a single layer of cardboard. I did not think much of it. Took the motor out of the box. I then put the stator on and tried putting the flywheel on. The flywheel was rubbing on the bottom of the case. Since there was no padding the bottom of the case bent up so much the flywheel will not even fit.

I contacted the seller as soon as I discovered this and sent him pictures.

his response was UPS must have dropped it from a good height. He told me I need to file a claim with UPS and if they deny it I need to heat the cases up with a torch and bend them back. I just filed a claim with UPS but I highly doubt they will do anything (they will probably laugh when they see the packaging). I am for sure not going to heat the cases up with a torch and try to bend them. That will lead to a lot of other issues. I know what I would do if I was the seller...but what do you guys think. I guess I wont have this ski ready for surf slam =(

Last edited:
I say if ups decides not to cover it due to sellers packing the seller should cover it. Any chance of filling a dispute with PayPal.

Funny thing is I bought a hood from you about 2 years ago and It took 10 minutes to get it unwrapped .

SUPERJET-113

GASKETS FOR CHAMP BRAP!
Site Supporter
He told me I need to file a claim with UPS and if they deny it I need to heat the cases up with a torch and bend them back. (
:laugh2:

Sounds like he owes you a set of cases just like the ones that were damaged, not to mention the labor in disassembly/epoxy/porting/assy., etc. Thats BS to have to a couple loose pieces of cardboard in there.

When i sell and ship a motor, I pack it like its going to a war zone. I dont want any problems.

Good luck Jared and man up seller!

norcal ex

X-H2
Thats cause I know how to package haha. At least it was in tip top shape right?

Funny thing is the seller claims to have shipped 30 motors the same way and never had a problem. There is NO way that is the truth.

I could file a claim but that is worst case situation. I dont like doing those. I would rather people just take responsibility for their actions/mistakes instead of pointing the finger.

I say if ups decides not to cover it due to sellers packing the seller should cover it. Any chance of filling a dispute with PayPal.

Funny thing is I bought a hood from you about 2 years ago and It took 10 minutes to get it unwrapped .

norcal ex

X-H2
I would happily do all of the labor for some cases and OEM seals. Just want what I paid for.

:laugh2:

Sounds like he owes you a set of cases just like the ones that were damaged, not to mention the labor in disassembly/epoxy/porting/assy., etc. Thats BS to have to a couple loose pieces of cardboard in there.

When i sell and ship a motor, I pack it like its going to a war zone. I dont want any problems.

Good luck Jared and man up seller!

This has happened several times before and UPS is going to deny the claim as most of the time they do. Not saying that UPS and other carries aren't hard on shipments because they are. Despite the fact that the engine has gone though several different handlers that probably can care less about the well being of your package, the package needs to be shipped accordingly.

In my opinion. This was neglect from the seller, not UPS. You can't expect something heavy and fragile to survive the journey if it's not packaged properly. The most important part of the shipping when shipping an engine is to protect the bottom. There should have been at least 4 or 5 inches of padding under the engine when shipping, not 1/8".

I've worked as a loader for UPS in the past. I know how things are treated so I package things accordingly.

You should have seen the way JetManic packaged my engine. Im confident that package could have fallen off the truck and tumbled down the road and still be alright. He has seen his fair share of carnage when people ship engines to him.

Hes also said he's seen far better results when have engines shipped Fed-Ex rather than UPS. Just something people may want to take into account when shipping engines.

Last edited:
UPS SUCKS. always insist fed-ex.

sorry to hear about your cases. we ship aircraft parts in price upwards of 30,000$ and have had multiple problems with UPS damaging products, we ALWAYS took the hit.

brandirad

Be Rad, Stay Rad
I worked for ups as well. I can almost guarantee they won't cover it because A.) it wasn't packed by "professionals" at a ups store locations and B.) proper packing materials were not used (I.e. shipping box, packing peanuts, And foam plank)

One of the most important things when shipping something is making sure that the contents are not going to bang around in the box/tote. Should be filled to the top with peanuts and not budge. Also packers need to keep in mind that ups accepts packages up to 150lbs and they go through conveyer belts and such which they potentially can fall off of. I've packed 100 year old china and shipped it across the country with no problems. The boxes were so well packed that I could stand on them without them compressing.

Sorry to hear about that, I think it's the sellers responsibility to cover the cost of the damage. Hope you get everything straightened out soon.

BombThreat

'Diggity
BS- Seller should send out new cases and I would tear down the entire motor and check it real good if your going to keep it. Anyone with common sense would have packaged that thing with at least a little effort besides using cardboard.

I have seen an engine arrive on my doorstep in, get this.....a single black garbage bag wrapped around motor placed in a falling apart cardboard box. That's it. Huge crack on the pull start case.

Sellers need to package properly. It's on him to make this right, not UPS.

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Also this is why I always ship engines with the flywheel cover on, whether it was part of the agreed sale or not. Cheap insurance.

We do this also. Most of the damages to motors in shipping we have seen are to the case bottom in front. The timing cover helps to prevent this.

This is a seller issue all the way. UPS will not cover improper packaging. (and sometimes proper packaging as well.)

KTM434

Jamie FN Hickey
Not doubting you but do you have pics of the package and engine when you first received it and opened it? Pictures are worth a thousand words and will verify if he is at fault. I'm not saying you are wrong but there are 2 sides to every story. What has he offered you to make this right? Is he blowing you off or is he standing behind it as a seller?

Pablo

sqeez bth levrs & lean bk
Site Supporter
If he was standing behind his package and shipping methods there wouldn't be a post...just saying. NorCal, this is totally, 100%, unequivocally the sellers fault. This wouldn't even be a discussion if it was shipped correctly. End of story. Seller needs to eat the cost of cases and seals to make the deal right. It stings to do the right thing when it's your fault but they need to step up and be a man.

I had the exact same issue with a damaged engine that UPS dropped and bent the front of the cases. This was a Dasa SS 850 setup that was packaged by a knowledgeable seller. That rubermaid tote was beat to hell and back. I took pictures upon receipt from ups and notified them immediately. The sent some flat foot nobody out to "investigate" my claim. They didn't bother to call back. I had to call and find someone to turn me down. This was all after insurance was paid and documentation verified. UPS is rough on packages. They told me insurance isn't for replacement???

Long story short, the only way to ensure a safe engine shipment is to do the packaging right. No half assed crap. If it takes an extra day or so to get the correct packaging materials then I'd rather have that than a useless engine.

The seller needs to refund or pay for new cases. It all falls on him since it was packaged so poorly. UPS will shoot down the claim real fast as soon as they learn they didn't have a say in its packaging... Like mentioned fed ex is always better... Neighbor works for USPS... He says its a game to the employees when I package comes in marked "fragile." The average fall of a package due to the conveyors is about 6 ft.. Good luck with everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom