Single Trailer to Double Conversion

RivMan

doing something stupid...
Site Supporter
Great thread! I just picked up a Karavan single aluminum trailer to convert to a dual standup / single motorcycle trailer. I'll post pics when I get it finished up!

Mine is 44" between the outer rails, 12" tires.

-Rob

azata8uh.jpg

Mine at the moment I don't have any pics with the skis off at the moment. Just something I threw together real quick last summer to get them down to the river. But I plan on taking long hails this summer and need to redo and make it more solid. image.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 79

motoman3000

ride
Site Supporter
I wanted a 2-place trailer without the large footprint of your standard dual pwc hauler. I purchased a single pwc Load rite trailer, new, and began cutting. Its rated for 1400# but I wanted to do this without adding unnecessary weight i.e.. wood and be able to fit a blaster and sj.

For about $100 I purchased the galvanized swivel bunk and side bunk brackets with all u-bolts/hardware. The idea of using a tongue box was great from another member and is dual purpose-carry tools and stuff and keeps the front of the ski's locked down. Box was $200 from amazon. Lightweight but strong.
IMG_0897.jpg IMG_0898.jpg

I ended up having more room width-wise than I thought I would. Verry happy with the results.

trailer (big wheels 14")-675
hardware-100
tongue box-200

total-- call it a grand
IMG_0895.jpg IMG_0894.jpg

Another member and I did the same thing a few years ago. We had a waveblaster and a 750sx on it. It worked great for a long time, until one day we hit a bump and the axle snapped by the leaf spring. Not because of extra weight. The axle was just rusted away.

You're conversion looks alot better than ours. It cost us $0 and was put together with scrap metal..

motoman3000

ride
Site Supporter
Another member and I did the same thing a few years ago. We had a waveblaster and a 750sx on it. It worked great for a long time, until one day we hit a bump and the axle snapped by the leaf spring. Not because of extra weight. The axle was just rusted away.

You're conversion looks alot better than ours. It cost us $0 and was put together with scrap metal..
I definitely could've gone a more inexpensive route but this was an investment that I hope I can rely on for yrs to come and not worry about it on the road as I did with the previous budget trailer. Good thing is most trips are 2 blocks to the ramp!

Where did you find those brackets for the bunks? They look real nice.
I used these guys http://boattrailerpartsplace.com Theres lots of trailer parts suppliers. I used the edge- bunk brackets on the inner bunks of cross-frame and on the outer bunks used swivel bunk brackets withouts the swivel part. Just bolted the 2 x 4 where the swivel would go.

I converted my 20 year old single pwc trailer to a double stand up trailer.

Added:
Two bunks on the outside
Aluminum 2" square bar up front to hold the nose of each jet ski. Couldn't find galvanized steel without buying 20' of it.
Fly Racing 3 Fuel jug holder
Harbor Freight tongue box (~$100)
New submersible LED lights and wiring (old stuff was shot)

Will replace the bearings and wheel/tiries soon and keep one of them as a spare in the box.

2014-05-13 09.45.31.jpg 2014-06-08 19.17.27.jpg 2014-06-08 19.17.36.jpg 2014-06-08 19.18.29.jpg 2014-06-08 19.46.51.jpg 2014-06-24 18.36.49.jpg

ScottS and I both converted some big Triton singles to hold 2 standups. Either of our trailers would handle a Blaster just fine. Mine has the leaf springs and Scott's has the torsion axle. The torsions are way too stiff and bounce the hell out of his skis. I went with lighter leafs so mine would float better and it rides like a dream. If I ever need to handle more weight, I can upgrade from 750lb leafs to 1000lb for under $20.

Tire wear has not been an issue but I did start with new wheels and tires. We built the trailer to drag our skis the 4 1/2 hours between from Charleston to Jacksonville so everything was done with long hauls in mind. So far I have zero complaint.

As you can see from the pics, we decided to split the cost of a 20' 2"x4" aluminum tube to base our bunks on. It was $200 for the whole thing and well worth the investment. It was the perfect way to get whatever width we needed as well as raise the bunks above the wheel wells at the same time.

All the build details are here;
http://www.x-h2o.com/index.php?thre...igslist-score-aluminum-trailer-for-110.92377/

P.S. Before someone asks, the fifth bunk is so a single ski can be centered perfectly. ;)

index.php

621911b3-abe1-7dc7.jpg

621911b3-abf6-a018.jpg

621911b3-ac1b-b9e1.jpg
What kind of fold up beach cart is that? What do most people use and do they make small ones like tht to put on my trailer for when I get to the lake?

I have a Triton Miss Ski-tow converted to hold two skis. I know it fits 2 Kawasakis, but would probably be too small for a Blaster and an SJ. Anyways, I figured I would show you how mine is set up. I still need to get a couple pieces of aluminum to finish up the bow stop.
What is the bunk material and where did you get?

Top Bottom